Comic Books!
Jan 3, 2006 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Kassem

500+ Head-Fier
I work at a comic book shop here in good ol' Tulsa, Oklahoma. When I first started I was extremely surprised at the amount of variety in our customers and subscribers. We have everything from old men to hot girls (which i think is extremely sexy) in here asking me about the new avengers and penny comics.

Any fellow head-fiers still reading comics these days?

LETS HERE IT

I am currently reading:

Preacher
Infinite Crisis
Most of the Ultimates

WOO lets here it.

Jan 3, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 42
I'd post my sub list but I think it would truely show how huge of a comic nerd I am. So I'll just say I read a lot of books each month, mostly DC, though there are quite a few of Marvel's in there, only ones that aren't DC/Marvel is Invincible and Walking Dead I believe.

Edit: http://www.zeuscomics.com/ The store I frequent usually every other week (unless something I really really really can't wait for comes out... so maybe every week?
frown.gif
).

Jan 3, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 42
By and large, Grant Morrison's current Seven Soldiers mega-series is pretty great. Like with Invisibles and Doom Patrol before, I'm dying to find out what happens. Wierd and wonderful and mainstream comics can get.

-- Did you see that those nutty Matrix Bros. are directing the new film adaptation of V for Vendetta?

Jan 3, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 42
I haven't been reading all of the Seven Soldiers, as I "discovered" Morrison quite late, so I'll have to pick up the trades when they come out. But I must agree that Morrison is wonderful at everything he does. Definitely in my list of favorite writers along side Cooke, Ellis, Ennis, Brubaker, Lapham, this list could go on for a good while.

You know, Vendetta is just one of the books that I've yet to read since I got back into comics this time last year. I put off reading it and Watchmen because I wanted to read them when I could enjoy them more and I just haven't done it yet. Right now I'm finishing up Morrison's famous run on New X-Men.

Jan 3, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
With me, it's all about Marvel!

Secret Wars (this is a great series)

Do you mean the old one or are they re-doing it now? I have all twelve of the originals, and it is very cool. Spiderman gets his new costume, Klaw is MADE OUT OF PURE NOISE, etcetera.

And back on topic, uh, The Sandman is well done. I haven't really been into the modern comic scene for a while. About once a year I go buy some of the newer Marvel stuff and/or whatever the guy (it has always been a guy) tells me is good. I guess I have been doing this for three years now. Haven't found anything particularly good yet, though.

Oh wait, actually Hsu and Chan is really good. I found out about them from when I read Electronic Gaming Monthly, but the actual comic books are really funny. Very accessible and don't require much nerd-style knowledge of video games either. There is now a collection, I believe. Let me find that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/094...books&v=glance

Jan 3, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 42
None of you have read preacher? Its made by vertigo but its soooo good. Really vulgar though, so watch out.

Jan 3, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #9 of 42
When we were kids my brother used to collect "El Hombre Nuclear" (1 Million $ Man), I remember reading some of those, and also "Kaliman". We also got some Tin-Tin nice books when we were kids, still have those btw. Remember reading plenty of inexpensive Donald the Doc comics, Mickey mouse, Mighty Mouse, and Condorito, all in Spanish of course. Main comics I've read (but not the complete collections) would be:

Tin-Tin
Mortadelo y Filemon

More recently I read the complete Akira Manga, and also Ghost in the Shell, after having watched the movies. These are graphic novels/Manga though, not exactly Comics, or are they? (Not sure how the exact terms apply.)

Jan 3, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 42
I pretty much stopped reading comics since Bone finished and Strangers in Paradise got crap. Never did care for the mainstream ones, too variable in quality and bending over backwards to maintain some semblance of "continuity".

Jan 3, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 42
I won't bore you guys with the typical story of all the comix I gave away when I was a kid that would be worth big money now.. :frowning2:
(Spider-Man, X-men, Justice League, etc. numbered in single digits....; also a whole mess of stuff from the mid-Sixties)
mad.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kassem
None of you have read preacher? Its made by vertigo but its soooo good. Really vulgar though, so watch out.

I love preacher. I started buying from the first issue and need on a one or two in the middle to complete it. It's killer. Great story. tonnes of sex and violence. and Steve Dillon is a GOD. Takes me back to the good old days of Judge Dread and Rogue Trooper.

Speaking of which, 2000AD. What a legendary comic. How can you go wrong with characters such as JD, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, Nemisis, ABC Warriors etc...

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctafonk
I love preacher. I started buying from the first issue and need on a one or two in the middle to complete it. It's killer. Great story. tonnes of sex and violence. and Steve Dillon is a GOD. Takes me back to the good old days of Judge Dread and Rogue Trooper.

Speaking of which, 2000AD. What a legendary comic. How can you go wrong with characters such as JD, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, Nemisis, ABC Warriors etc...

PM me which issue #'s you are missing, we have quite a few back issues at my shop and I could give you the prices of whichever you are missing.

LMK

Jeremy

Jan 3, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kassem
PM me which issue #'s you are missing

Thanks Jeremy, but all my comics are in my home country. When I get a chance to go through them though, i might try and PM you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back