Comic book / graphic novel recommendations?
Jul 15, 2010 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
For the longest time, like most people, my understanding was that comics were exclusively about superheros and written for 10-16 year olds.  However, like most forms of art/literature, I've realized there's a wealth of quality of work.

I'm currently interested in reading Miller's Batman series, the Batman Hush series, and Kingdom Come.  DC Universe advertising, along with Coke and McDonalds, must have gotten to me as a kid...

Anyway I'm interested in any independent, mature/adult, intellectual, avant garde, or really any comic you think is particularly creative, well illustrated, written, etc.  Superhero, Crime, or whatever genres they come in.

Thanks,

Wyatt

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 17
For anyone with an interest in literature and mythology, and might enjoy a good bit of metafiction, I cannot say enough about The Sandman. Not just one of the best comics that I've ever read, but one of the best stories that I've read. That said, in the first volume Gaiman is definitely still getting a feel for the characters and ideas and it's more in the way of an above average comic than the quality of literature present in later volumes. It's still of course worth reading, and I wouldn't suggest missing the backstory.
I'd also mention that The Sandman is a literature nerd's comic, and is probably most appealing to those who are well read. Though I'm sure it would still be enjoyable and accessible to other sorts of readers.

For a shorter and cheaper option (the main Sandman storyline is 10 volumes, each going for $10-$20), there is always Watchmen which is another excellent comic in an "alternative history" vein with a healthy dose of deconstruction of the Superhero genre. And I certainly don't mean to portray Watchmen as a "lesser" story. I happen to like The Sandman more, but I only mean to say that Watchmen is just a bit less of a commitment as far as recommendations go.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 17
I've always been a far of hard lit and was never much interested in graphic novels. After a lot of recommendations and even more hesitation, I picked up a copy of Watchmen. And I really enjoyed it. It's well-written, a good story and the graphics add another dimension to it. I haven't followed up with anything else, but I'd recommending checking it out.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks, I hadn't heard of Sandman, and I just associated Heavy Metal with the VHS cover I've often seen at Blockbuster.

I'd enjoy the Watchmen, but I've seen the movie.  My nerdy friends have told me the comic is way better, but knowing the story/ending kills my desire to read it.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 17
Works by Shintaro Kago a friend of mine. it might fit your category some of his work are auctioned in japan 
jecklinsmile.gif

Well his art is not for everyone. so check it out i love the guys work one of the unique artist i know

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 17
the Fables series of comics / graphic novels is perhaps one of the most creative of all time.
the basic premise is that characters we all know from nursery rhymes and famous tales are reinvented in very adult and imaginitive ways...

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
Works by Shintaro Kago a friend of mine. it might fit your category some of his work are auctioned in japan 
jecklinsmile.gif

Well his art is not for everyone. so check it out i love the guys work one of the unique artist i know

I LOVE SHINTARO KAGO.  Each illustration is a beautiful mind*****.  I found him while writing a paper on tentacle erotica for Japanese film class.  I shamefully downloaded his work.  I'd love to own some in print, but I haven't found a place that sells translated versions in the US. 

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
I LOVE SHINTARO KAGO.  Each illustration is a beautiful mind*****.  I found him while writing a paper on tentacle erotica for Japanese film class.  I shamefully downloaded his work.  I'd love to own some in print, but I haven't found a place that sells translated versions in the US. 

Agreed. definitely a good read.

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 17
+2 Sandman

I love Neil Gaiman's stuff. I would also recommend Death: The High Cost Of Living and Death: The Time Of Your Life which are mini-series/graphic novels by Neil Gaiman.

You should also take a look at Grendel Tales graphic novels from Dark Horse.

If you don't mind Marvel, take a look at Punisher #11 and current (I believe the title turns to Fraken-Castle). I am a huge Punisher fan (but not the movies). The new writing by Rick Remender is alot of fun. Basically, Frank Castle get torn apart and killed by Daken (Wolverine's son). Castle is then put back together (like a Frankenstein) by Morbius and pretty much the fun begins. It is an interesting, fun take on such a dark serious character.

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 17
"The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" is interesting -- there are only a few issues but the whole enterprise is fascinating, even if Moore feels like he's getting more detached as time goes on. I echo the Sandman recs --  the Gaiman "Sandman" books are classics, very pioneering and kind of half-way between superhero comics and indie comics. My favorite title is "Astro City", which is a very interesting desconstruction of DC/Marvel style comics, set in a universe that echoes them strongly. I thought the Joss Whedon run of the X-Men was great, but very traditional in theme. I just read "We3" and loved it, but it's only a 3 issue limited shot.

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 17
I've also heard good things about "Watchmen", but haven't read it myself.  I also read most of "The Preacher" series, and found that very interesting.

In another flavor, there's also some good Japanese manga out there.  "Lone Wolf and Cub" is a classic and comes highly recommended from folks I know if you're into the entire ronin warrior kinda feel.  Another excellent series is "Blade of the Immortal".  There's also "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind", which touches upon themes of post-apocalypse, the environment, war, and just plain old human nature.  The latter is still one of my favorite comic/manga of all time and inspired perhaps my favorite movie of all time.

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #13 of 17

Watchmen is recommended indeed.

One of my favourites is Bone:

Simple, but nice drawings and good writing.  Might look on the childish side, but defo 'serious' enough :)

Other usual suspects:

Sin City, 300, From Hell, The Dark Knight Returns

Jul 16, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #14 of 17
ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN

Jul 16, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #15 of 17
Watchmen is the most accessible of recent works but Sin City is pretty good too. As for the rest, a pattern emerges where there's this urge to be edgy and whatnot, and it comes off as silly and/or predictable a lot of the time. That's my prefeferences at work. But definitely give as many a look-see as you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back