Comfortable headphones with good bass under $150
Jan 9, 2012 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

head82

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm looking to replace my clunky old headphone with something with much higher quality. My price range is about $150. 

My emphasis is on good bass and comfort.

I went to Best Buy today to try the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and *loved* its quality and price but found them really uncomfortable (too tight on my head.)

I tried the Bose Quiet Comfort Q15 and they were absolutely comfortable and good quality but way beyond my price range :frowning2:

So, I'm seeking recommendation on headphones which marry comfort of the Bose and the quality of the Sennie in my price range. I'm not super picky on the details but having heard the quality on the Sen 280, I'm looking for something in the similar league.

Thanks,
NK

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 6
Audio Technica ATH-M50.  They sound similar, but better to my ears than the 280 Pro, but are built way better.  The 280 Pro is known for breakage, whereas I have had my M50's for several years with nor issues.

Here is a link comparing the two as far as Frequency Response.  You can see they are quite similar with the M50 edging out the 280 Pro in the mid bass.

You can solve the clamping issue with most headphones simply by placing them on a full sized tissue box for a week.  This will stretch out the headband enough to prevent any pinching, but the 280 Pro needs it to keep the bass resonance down.  The M50 does not have this issue and can be stretched in the same manor if slight clamping occurs.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 6
The Hfi-580's can be found for around $120. 

Check this.

To my ears they are slightly better than the M50's. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 6
KRK KNS 8400 has a growing fan bass.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back