Comfortable headphones with detachable cable, upgrade from HD 205 (£120) max!
Jun 8, 2014 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bradleyipod47

New Head-Fier
Upgrade from HD205, would love a detachable cable and comfort is a must! More bass would be nice, but not sacrificing mids and highs. My budget is £120 or under.

I'm thinking of the following:
Ath m50
Akg k550
Sennheiser hd 380 pro
Sennheiser hd 439
Denon ah d340

Any suggestions on these or other headphones? Thanks:)

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 7
This depends on music type. I am also a junior head-fi'er, but I am enjoying my Beyerdynamic DT 660. They are built well. Comfort is only a minor issue shortly after you buy them. With time the clamp force on your head really weakens and they sit nicely on your head. The velour earpads are very comfortable.

The sound is pretty neutral, without accentuating any particular part of the spectrum. The highs are slightly bright, so after listening for a long time you may dislike the high end of the spectrum. I consider this a minor issue that does not hurt the quality of the product much at all. It still sounds pretty awesome. I listen to them with classical music.

Also, the cord is not removable.  ):

NOTE: You may have to jump your budget a little to get these. Mine costed me about $130.

I am sorry this may not be very helpful, as this is beyond your budget, but I jumped the budget a little as well when I got the DT 660. IMO you should save up a little more to get a better product.
********************************************************************************************

You may look into a review of the audiotechnica ATH-M50s. It is a version of the ATH-M50 with a straight cord, and $100 - $130 is usually what it runs for. The sound signature, bear in mind I did not personally hear it, is known to have detailed mids that are less prominent than the bass/treble, however the mids are still prominent. You can buy the ATH-M50x, which will run $160, but has a removable cord. It is a high price for a removable cord IMO.

Oct 3, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks, ill probably go for the m50s :)

I dont know if its too late, but Imho, Hd380 is better than m50 in most ways. Tighter and deeper bass, fuller mids, more detail, much bigger soundstage and better imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back