Comfortable headphones under $200 (Canada)
Feb 21, 2011 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kwudude

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a pair of comfortable cans for home listening, preferably at least semi-closed because there's going to be background noise. They have to be VERY comfortable, because I wear glasses and significant pressure aches after a while.

Currently I'm using SRH440s unamped, and they're pretty nice but I'd like to upgrade. The SRH440 sig is my cup of tea, with controlled bass and smooth mids.

These are for a big variety of genres but most prevalently alternative rock and dubstep.

A big bonus goes to aesthetics as well, since these might get taken out for travel...and I like pretty things(!)

Any suggestions?

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 8
I've never done an A / B on the 440s and 840s but why not try them out?

They're more neutral, or reference sounding.. which sounds like what you're after. Also the styling is very similar.

The comfort aspect you can easily try out by going to an audio store and trying them out for yourself. I've heard that Ultrasone's can be uncomfortable, but I could fall asleep in mine - so to a degree, comfort always depends on the person.

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 8
I've never done an A / B on the 440s and 840s but why not try them out?

They're more neutral, or reference sounding.. which sounds like what you're after. Also the styling is very similar.

The comfort aspect you can easily try out by going to an audio store and trying them out for yourself. I've heard that Ultrasone's can be uncomfortable, but I could fall asleep in mine - so to a degree, comfort always depends on the person.

The SRH440s are a little heavy and hot after a while though, do the 840s improve on that significantly?

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 8
Most closed headphones suffer from getting hot after a bit of time, but I don't know if the 840 is better/worse than the 440. I know the 840 is slightly heavier though, so that doesn't inspire much confidence. That being said it could sit on your head better, or something, so probably worth a try.

Do you have a local Futureshop/Bestbuy? You can purchase them and if they don't work out then you have 30 days to exchange them even if it's just because you didn't like them. I actually 'bought' 5-10 headphones from Futureshop, demoed them in the Installation bay (my buddies work there and I've had a few things installed there), and ended up returning them all within 2 days. It was a pretty fancy bill lol. Some may object to this practice, but personally if a store won't let me demo a product that needs demoing then I'll happily do it this way.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 8
K271 and DT770 are extremely comfortable closed headphones, but I did not like their sound nearly as much as SRH840.  D2000/5000 sound very nice and are very comfortable, but don't isolate very well and are beyond your budget.  I'll wager that SRH940 will be more comfortable than SRH840 with their cushy/velour ear pads.  So I'd also recommend SRH840, or for you to increase your budget and wait a month until the reviews come in on the SRH940.

This thread on SRH840 and glasses will help you get a sense of their comfort:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/467211/best-headphones-for-a-iem-guy-with-glasses-shure-srh840-vs-beyerdynamic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back