Comfortable circumaural for electronic, £200-300, D2000?
May 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

losteden

New Head-Fier
tl;dr - comfortable headphones, £200 - £300, predominantly for trance/progressive house/DnB, driven from audio-gd NFB-5, D2000/K701/DT880/HD650/AD900?

I've just moved into a new house & to my utter dismay sound travels between the bedrooms very easily so the new speaker setup I just spend considerable time & money building & buying can't really get used much :`(

So I'm looking for a new pair of headphones to use at home; everything from dedicated music listening sessions to watching movies & gaming.

As part of my new speaker setup I bought an audio-gd NFB-5 DAC/amp (should arrive later today or tomorrow!) which I was planning on just using as a DAC for the speakers but luckily it means I have something nice to plug some new cans into :)

So I want;
> comfortable (hence circumaural in the title)
> £200 to £300 price range
> good for electronic music (trance, progressive house, DnB)
> benefits from audio-gd NFB-5 (they won't be used elsewhere)

For the past ~2 years I've been using a pair of Denon AH-D1000 at work, fed from a topkit'd iBasso D4 Mamba & I've been extremely pleased. They're phenomenally comfortable (even though they are technically only 'semi' circumaural) & I love the sound (huge step up from the HD-485 I was using previously which massively coloured the sound!). I recabled them with Mogami 2893 & did a Markl type mod with Dynamat inside the enclosures & they suit electronic music very nicely - bass goes deep, but kickdrums are nice & tight & hollow.

So the obvious candidate for my new home cans is the D2000! But I'm open to other suggestions. This price range includes K701/2, DT880, HD650, etc. I actually listened to a pair of HD650 a few years back, on the Fubar III I had at the time & was extremely disappointed in the bass - is this common to open cans?

May 30, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 3
Yes it's hard for open cans to get adequate bass extension because they can't seal to pressurize enough.  However some are voiced to have better extension and emphasis like DT990 and others have better extension do to the physical nature of their driver design (planar magnetics, electrostatics)

As far as comfort goes I don't think you can do much better than the D2000 at that price point.  Its comfort is excellent.

May 30, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the input. I actually had a read of the HD650 vs D2000 post in your signature which helped a lot. I'm looking for the best deal I can find on D2000 atm (UK based) as I may even be able to get them beneath my lower budget of £200 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back