Combo Review: Euphony PTS - Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - Keces P8
Sep 12, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #182 of 210
Interesting. I just read 13 pages and the Euphony hardware/software really has my attention. I am curious as to why this thread has been quiet since February. Has everything that could be said been said? :)

I have a Lenovo mini plugged into a Lenovo touch screen monitor that I have Fidelized with the "pay for it" version. It sounds really quite good to me. Currently I think it sounds as good as an Aries G1 when I compare the two. So my question is, do I buy the software version of Euphony and run it on my happy little machine or do I buy the hardware version instead. I already have two Matrix X-SPDIF 2's but I would still need the Keces power supply.

I am sad that in the last 36 hours I have purchased used a Bridge 2 card for my PS Audio DSD and a used UltraRendu with Uptone LPS 1.2. I don't think I would need any of this if I went with the Euphony software or hardware.

Are you all still loving your setup?

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #183 of 210
I would suggest you download the trial and test it from a USB flash drive on your current hardware to see what you think. That should help you decide what your next step might be. :)

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #188 of 210
That I can’t answer. I’m not that computer savvy.

I do know that the Matrix is setup just for audio.

The other thing that you should look at, funds permitting of course, is the Keces linear power supply that Arthur sells. Night and day difference as opposed to not using one.

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #189 of 210
If I had a few pound and I could buy a nuc or a matrix, which would you suggest ?
A NUC or something similar like HDplex that is a silent PC. The source is most important ie your server/music player. The matrix\x’s needs depends on your DAC. If it has a great internal USB bridge the effect of matrix may not be great unless u must have spdif/AES as input into the DAC for personal sonic preference or there is no USB input (unlikely). The euphony can basically be used on any PC but avoid new macs which are incompatible. U can actually load the euphony not just on sata but M2, optane drive too

Sep 13, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #190 of 210
I would suggest you download the trial and test it from a USB flash drive on your current hardware to see what you think. That should help you decide what your next step might be. :)
First off, thank you for your reply Arthur, I really appreciate it.
I downloaded the trial and put it on a brand new USB 3 thumbdrive. After a bit of this and that I had it up, registered and running. It did not work plugged into my Cisco Switch so I pulled the Ethernet cable that supplies the switch and plugged that into the machine. Only then was I able to find the server via the web browser, the app on my phone and the app on my iPad.Oddly the same machine has no problem with the switch connection when running Win10.
What I found was a system that sounds very much like my normal windows 10 system with the Fidelizer mods. The Stylus app I could get used to, I like that Qobuz was easy to setup. It found my attached 2TB USB SSD, attached it with a click and found all the music contained. It's all alien, but I could learn it.
I do not think I am a candidate for the software running on my machine though. I am thinking I would rather have the PTS server in addition to my PC. I will send you and email and let you know what I am thinking of.
It's a very interesting system. Yes sir. It made my PC sound at least as good as it normally does, perhaps better. But it isn't the slap me in the face better, and I don't think I should be upset or surprised by that. It would be more fun to do a side by side with the PTS and my machine.
Anyway, I have 30 days left to play. I wish i knew what it's issue with my switch is a Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L.

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #192 of 210
You should seriously take a look at the Keces linear power supply and add that. That will be the slap in the face difference.
Hi Ken, That is part of the plan.

Sep 14, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #194 of 210
Good plan. :gs1000smile:
I am glad you held on to yours, I hope the wife understands.
(Mine doesn't even bother asking about such things. She knows I am lost)

Sep 14, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #195 of 210
First off, thank you for your reply Arthur, I really appreciate it.
I downloaded the trial and put it on a brand new USB 3 thumbdrive. After a bit of this and that I had it up, registered and running. It did not work plugged into my Cisco Switch so I pulled the Ethernet cable that supplies the switch and plugged that into the machine. Only then was I able to find the server via the web browser, the app on my phone and the app on my iPad.Oddly the same machine has no problem with the switch connection when running Win10.
What I found was a system that sounds very much like my normal windows 10 system with the Fidelizer mods. The Stylus app I could get used to, I like that Qobuz was easy to setup. It found my attached 2TB USB SSD, attached it with a click and found all the music contained. It's all alien, but I could learn it.
I do not think I am a candidate for the software running on my machine though. I am thinking I would rather have the PTS server in addition to my PC. I will send you and email and let you know what I am thinking of.
It's a very interesting system. Yes sir. It made my PC sound at least as good as it normally does, perhaps better. But it isn't the slap me in the face better, and I don't think I should be upset or surprised by that. It would be more fun to do a side by side with the PTS and my machine.
Anyway, I have 30 days left to play. I wish i knew what it's issue with my switch is a Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L.

The Cisco 2960 series are managed switches and the local Euphony web interface must be getting blocked. Most likely a spanning tree protocol issue. Have you opened a SPAN session to monitor local traffic? Managed switches can be very complicated to configure. I prefer 'dumb' switches for home networks. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back