Combo Review: Euphony PTS - Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - Keces P8
Sep 14, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #196 of 210
The Cisco 2960 series are managed switches and the local Euphony web interface must be getting blocked. Most likely a spanning tree protocol issue. Have you opened a SPAN session to monitor local traffic? Managed switches can be very complicated to configure. I prefer 'dumb' switches for home networks. :)

Unfortunately I am just a normal human so I don't have access to Cisco programs that will allow me to access my "Smart" switch. The same switch, with the same cables sees and allows the computer just fine when it's a Win 10 Pro computer. Turn it into the server and not so much. My solution was to unplug the supply Ethernet cable to the switch and plug it directly into the computer and all is well. But everything on that switch is now offline. I have dumb switches around but I bought the Cisco because blah blah blah.....

I have opened a ticket with Euphony, it will be interesting to see what they say.

Sep 14, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #197 of 210
Smart switches are usually used in server environments to manage different types of traffic whether it be priority or isolation for security purposes. When you're running a server different ports and protocols are being utilized (things Windows 10 doesn't normally use). Managed switches also route traffic differently than a dumb switch. This can be very beneficial in a business network with a lot of traffic that needs to be managed and reroute for efficiency and security. However, in a home environment it's very likely to cause issues unless you're only running desktops and other simple devices on your network. Anything with a web interface including network printers and other smart devices in your home can sometimes be difficult to access.

These switches have their own operating system and have some known and well documented issues like you're experiencing. However, isolating the problem and fixing it requires management software and a degree in computer networking. :frowning2:

Cisco spanning tree protocol problems.

Sep 14, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #199 of 210
Hello I can recommend to use a JCat usb card - huge improvement from motherboard native usb out.

My “roman” with Euphony started almost a year ago when I was looking for solution that can exchange my Auralic Mini
It was two option continue with streamers or go for PC solution.
So when I downloaded (previous) version of Euphony and installed it and heard first time a sound that comes from my not dedicated Lenovo tiny PC - I understand that “this is it”!
Unfortunately it took long time till I was possible to get a licensed version (fortunately now I’ve got v.3), because some strange problems with my Internet that every time (with Euphony server) was disconnecting, after changing a provider the problem was gone and all workin* as a charm:)
By the way I’m using Ethernet bridge by Linksys without any issues .

Now I’m with audio dedicated PC (i7) a bit old (3 years) with power supply Core Audio (that doesn’t exists any more as far I can understand).
As I told at beginning I add JCat usb card (they have Net cards same quality too but I’m not use any streaming).
Maybe later I’ll try to add external power supply for feeding JCat card and I want to try at Teddy Pardo power supply that working by some other technology than other brands ( You can read it on his site), but unfortunately Teddy can’t make supply’s with high current like HD Plex (for example) do.
- all links I’ll add later.

So, here is some recommendation for audio PC build that I’ve got from Marcin Ostapowicz (JCat and JPlay founder):
supermicro X11SCL-F
Xeon E-213
Apacer DDR4 ECC UDIMM 2x4GB server/workstation extended temp. range RAM
Apacer SLC SSD for OS

But this parts hard to get....

I’m using silent PC case by Streacom. (HD Plex has too like this cases).
The part I ordered from
Quiet PC https://www.quietpc.com/htpccases

A bit (I hope) useful info:
Power supply:
Paul Hynes http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
Teddy Pardo https://www.teddypardo.com/powersupplies.html
HD Plex https://hdplex.com
Core Audio....

USB card:
JCat https://jcat.eu
SOtM https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/tx-usbexp/

Hope this help:)
Enjoy!
BTW - Euphony have great customer service and support!!!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #200 of 210
These switches have their own operating system and have some known and well documented issues like you're experiencing. However, isolating the problem and fixing it requires management software and a degree in computer networking. :frowning2:

I am convinced. I just swapped out the Cisco for another brand "dumb" switch. Everything works fine now.

I went ahead and did the permanent install thing which created the second partition on my thumb drive. I was then able to update to the latest version of the software. I am listening to it right now and I gotta say, it does sound really effortless and sweet. Looking at the CPU usage, I have four cores and 2 of them are idle, the other two bounce off of zero all the way to 1%. I will continue to listen and work with this setup. It's impressive.

One question, is there any way to install a Last.fm Scrobbler to this setup? I like to track what I play online. :)

Thanks again Arthur!!!

Sep 15, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #201 of 210
I am convinced. I just swapped out the Cisco for another brand "dumb" switch. Everything works fine now.

I went ahead and did the permanent install thing which created the second partition on my thumb drive. I was then able to update to the latest version of the software. I am listening to it right now and I gotta say, it does sound really effortless and sweet. Looking at the CPU usage, I have four cores and 2 of them are idle, the other two bounce off of zero all the way to 1%. I will continue to listen and work with this setup. It's impressive.

One question, is there any way to install a Last.fm Scrobbler to this setup? I like to track what I play online. :)

Thanks again Arthur!!!

Glad to hear you're up and running and enjoying Euphony! Some audiophiles tend to think that they're better off buying a professional grade smart switch to use in their network for streaming audio. Business grade, 'hardware based' (dumb switches) can be a good investment in this regard preferably with an external linear power supply. However, a smart switch is a small computer that runs a complex operating system to analyze and route traffic. This can cause packet delays and other issues that could potentially degrade your streaming audio. Especially uncompressed high res audio since it contains considerably more packets.

The goal of most audiophile systems is to keep the signal chain as simple as possible which helps achieve the best quality audio reproduction. This applies to all aspects of the your system including networking. :)

There is no way to install Last.fm Scrobbler with Euphony but I can suggest to the programmers the possible integration in a future release.

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #202 of 210
Thanks Arthur, it is interesting that Foobar and JRiver both know about and take care of this most silly request. (LastFM Scrobbling) Hopefully the programmers are game. :)

I have just spent a couple of hours listening to the same playlist over and over. My PC outputs via a Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 USB cable to the Matrix you sold me earlier this year. It is powered by an Uptone LPS 1.2 using an expensive upgrade power cable between the two. Then it's a Wireworld Silver Starlight 7 HDMI cable to the i2S input of my PS Audio DSD.

Tonight I listened to my computer via JRiver (Win 10 Fidelized), then JRiver streaming to my Bridge 2 card, the I added a Gigafoil between the switch and the Bridge 2. (didn't hear any difference, hmmmm). And finally I listened to my PC running Euphony. I couldn't swear I heard much difference with the first three setups, they all sounded great. The last setup sounded great as well. I would be hard pressed to pick a winner.

So is a possible limiting factor my PC? When using Euphony it's using 3% of the memory, and it spends an awful lot of time between 0 and 1% processor. Would the PTS with the Keces P8 power supply be a noticeable improvement over what I have now? It's not a whole lot of money to find out.

And if I were to do the Keces P8 power supply I would want dual output, one for the PTS and one for the Matrix. I run my Matrix at 9 volts as it sounds noticeably more exciting than when I power it at 7 volts. Odd. I know this has been mentioned to you and I am curious as to what you think about the feed it with 9 volts vs 7 volts or 5 volts issue.

Lots of questions, I am such a tweaker. Sigh.

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #203 of 210
Tweaking can be fun! I'll start with the Keces power supply. 12 volts for the Euphony PTS and 9 volts for the X-SPDIF 2 is a well proven combination. As long as you do not exceed 9 volts on the X-SPDIF 2 all is good. I know several people have experimented using 5 to 9 volts. There seems to be a few different preferences. I say use what sounds best to you!

I am not sure if the PTS will sound better then your current hardware but this system does sound very good and that's why we sell it. Everyone has been very impressed with this little server especially when used with the Keces linear power supply and Matrix X-SPDIF 2. There is fantastic synergy with this combination of gear. I am sure there are lots of combinations that would also do Euphony justice. Since I haven't heard your system I can not say with any certainty if it will sound as good. There are just to many variables with computer systems.

One thing you might want to try in your system is enabling memory buffering. Under: Settings / Music service / Other music options, check buffer before play = 100%. Then the entire song is loaded into memory and played only from the memory. This can improve sound quality (depending on your source). :)

Euphony_buffer.png

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #204 of 210
I actually found that setting the first day I ran it and checked that box. It just seemed like a good idea. :)

Sep 19, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #205 of 210
Yesterday I got a UltraRendu device and an Uptone LPS 1.2 power supply from a fella cheap. I have ended up sad is it can't pass bit perfect data through JRiver, unlike so many other devices I have. Plus it injects weird pops and stammers into the music whenever it feels like it. Bah.

Euphony PTS is still looking good to me.

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #207 of 210
My Euphony PTS and Keces P8 arrived yesterday. I had a couple of issues getting going (there is a power button on the PTS?) but a quick call to Arthur and I was playing music. The trio sounds way better than my PC running Euphony out to my Matrix did. I have just spent nine straight hours listening and I am completely amazed at what my system sounds like today!

The software is amazing, but this hardware combination is a whole new reality.

I am not worthy.

Dec 14, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #208 of 210
DSCF5062.jpg

Here's something new to me - a cumulative review of several components together. I've done plenty of shootouts and comparisons, but never a collection of products from different brands all working as one. This stuff just pairs so well together that I figured it made sense to write it up the way I use it on a daily basis. Because that's the truth - this has been my reference front-end for a while now. I rely on it to feed an absolute top-quality signal the various DACs coming through for review, and I feel it succeeds wildly at that goal.

The gear in question: The Euphony PTS music server. Matrix Audio's X-SPDIF 2 digital to digital converter. And, anchoring both products, the Keces P8 linear power supply. This setup makes for an absurdly high quality transport, capable of punching FAR above its price class. While I admit that's probably an overused phrase, I back it up by choosing this system more often than the (several) more expensive alternatives that I own. You can't get a stronger vote of confidence than that.

Before we go any farther, let's break down each component.

Euphony PTS
DSCF5049.jpg

The Euphony PTS is a compact music server, roughly comparable to a Mac Mini in size, which goes for $1195. That gets you the standard power supply and a 250GB solid-state drive (larger drives available for additional cost). The design is fanless and thus completely silent - no spinning hard drives, no case fans, and no heatsink/fan unit on the processor. With an ultra-low TDP i3 Kaby Lake CPU, the PTS still has enough grunt to handle huge libraries and even multi-room audio. It's not a powerhouse gaming machine (obviously), but compares well with the current Intel NUC devices on the market... but more on that later.

PTS stands for Perfectly Timed Streaming, a reference to signal integrity involved. The device runs Euphony OS which is a custom operating system built specifically for audio quality and simple-yet-powerful functionality. See their website for reasons why Euphony has an edge over the competition - I won't repeat it all here, but there are some theoretically compelling advantages involved. In practice, I can say I've experienced Euphony on several different systems, and in each case the SQ was superb.... so whatever it is they're doing, it works.

Quick note: the system was initially going to be branded as the "Zenion" Euphony server, but plans have changed. That word has been dropped in favor of just calling it Euphony - likely since the software is such a key ingredient. My early device still says Zenion along the front panel, and you may have seen me reference Zenion in past threads. No hardware has changed though... it's the same device, just with different naming.

The Euphony PTS system can run in several different modes: MPD is the native option, with simple and effective controls handled from any browser running on a computer, tablet, smartphone, etc. It's a well polished experience that in my opinion works better than using a dedicated app such as MPDroid (Android) or Soundirok (iOS). If MPD isn't your thing, you can do Squeezelite, which brings a variety of options including LMS endpoint and Roon endpoint. There's also HQPlayer endpoint mode for those of you running beastly desktop PCs for software upsampling. Lastly, Roon Server mode, which is the one I make use of most often. Switching back and forth between modes is easy using the web interface.

The Euphony PTS doesn't have a built-in optical drive. If you're looking for a device to automate the process of ripping your CD collection and automatically tag everything for you, I suggest you look elsewhere. It also doesn't have the option of adding an internal DAC, nor any sort of SPDIF output. This is strictly a USB-based transport only. Networking is handled in what I consider the best way possible, which of course is Ethernet. Wifi is certainly convenient, but for the most reliable connection - and believe me, reliability is something you definitely want from your music server - the wired connection is king. As you can tell, the Euphony server is a very focused device, which doesn't try to cover every single option out there. What it does do, it does extremely well, but if you need ripping, wireless connectivity, and other extras, this isn't really the device for you.

I was somewhat worried about the Euphony having enough power for Roon server duties. Roon has always recommended an i5-class processor for a smooth experience - especially with large libraries or when using their upsampling and other advanced features. After running Roon on the Euphony, I'd say it's not a problem. I have over five terabytes in my library at the monent, and it works as smooth as butter. I can upsample to DSD256 without trouble. Audeze calibration filters? No sweat. I can run audio to a few different rooms at the same time, and the PTS keeps trucking along without a hiccup. That's probably because the low TDP 6th and 7th gen U-series i3 processors perform on the same level as their i5 counterparts from the 4th/5th generations. The other factor is Euphony OS running extremely lean when it comes to system bloat. I'm really impressed at just how low CPU utilization can get during playback. Yes, more power would make it future-proof, and if you demand DSD256 upsampling and convolution for 10 rooms at a time... you'll need something beefier (but good luck finding a silent design at a reasonable price). If not, I'd say this is a perfect compromise in a passively cooled setup.

DSCF5048.jpg DSCF5050.jpg

Note that this device launched earlier in the year, prior to the latest Intel 8th-gen chips coming out. I don't know if the company intends to upgrade their offerings or what the time frame is on that. I'm basing this evaluation on what's available right this moment - future upgrades may bring improvements, but it would be speculation to discuss at this point.

Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2
DSCF5053.jpg

Next up, the latest Matrix digital to digital converter. The original X-SPDIF was a fairly competitive offering for its time, but never really stood out in a sea of worthy alternatives. It offered good value but wasn't trying to take the performance crown. Things are different this time around. Matrix went all out to make the X-SPDIF 2 something special, able to compete with some of the top models on the market while keeping a relatively low price ($379). I already made a thread about it here which gives further info about the design, so I won't spend a ton of time repeating that info.

Quick summary though - the X-SPDIF 2 has the usual coaxial, optical, and AES outputs, plus the increasingly popular I2S over HDMI output. The bottom of the device has DIP switches to (hopefully) allow matching to your I2S-capable DAC, since this format is not at all standardized yet. Power can optionally be provided from an external source - Matrix claims anything from 6V to 9V will work, but I've also successfully used 5V without any trouble.

The big draw for me is that Matrix sounds so damn good even running directly from USB, without additional power source. Connected via USB only, I find it very competitive with my former favorite, the Singxer SU-1. Keep in mind the Singxer has a nicely done internal power supply. That Matrix can match that level of performance using pedestrian USB power is a big accomplishment.

Building on that performance, the Matrix gets even better with a quality PSU in the chain. Which brings me to the third item of this collection....

Keces P8
DSCF5057.jpg

The Keces P8 ($599) linear power supply is the backbone of this system, bringing two already excellent performing devices to a stratospheric level of performance. I wrote a bit about it here so again, I won't repeat myself all that much.

In that initial write-up, I mentioned how the P8 is conceptually similar to the Wyred 4 Sound PS-1, which is an expandable modular power supply. I covered the PS-1 over at Digital Audio Review - I quite enjoyed that device and gave it a solid recommendation.

Since then, I've heard some grumblings from readers who claim Wyred 4 Sound never actually finished the high-current cards. Orders were taken, but they didn't ship due to last minute changes to the design. I can't say whether or not that's true, or if the situation has been resolved, but the Keces P8 might be an alternative for some people if the PS-1 didn't work out. Keces only offers two power outputs rather than four, and voltage is not adjustable for each individual amp card, but the total output is 8A which is more than the PS-1 can muster. So whether the issue is delays or just maximum power draw, the Keces might work out better for some users.

Note that my P8 has a single output option (plus the 1A USB port), so don't be confused by pics. There's essentially a blank spot on my chassis, which would otherwise have the additional output on units which have that option.
DSCF5058.jpg DSCF5054.jpg DSCF5059.jpg DSCF5060.jpg

Together
The magic of this system really happens when bringing all three pieces together. The Euphony PTS performs quite well on its own, as does the Matrix, but when powered by the P8.... it's a whole different animal.
DSCF5065.jpg

The system as a whole sells for a bit less than $2200. That's certainly not cheap, but neither is it all that expensive compared to a lot of high-end music servers/streamers. Over the past few years I've owned or extensively auditioned the Aurender X100L ($3499), BMC PureMedia ($5390), SOtM sMS1000SQ ($4650), Esoteric N-05 ($6500) and a bunch of others ranging from $3K to a bit over $10k. The Euphony/Matrix/Keces system is significantly more affordable than any of those, and sounds superior in my book. It certainly lacks some options as I mentioned earlier, but for extracting the maximum performance out of whatever DAC you pair it with.... this is the system to choose.

I'm immensely satisfied by how well the trio performs with the various DACs I have on hand. Just when you think you've heard the best your DAC has to offer, something like this comes along and unlocks even higher levels of performance. More clarity. More impact. More expansive, layered soundstage. More precise imaging. I honestly thought I was maxed out already, but clearly I was wrong. The Euphony paired with Matrix and Keces pushes performance to a level previously unheard of - having tried a fairly large portion of the competition, I'm comfortable with that statement, though of course I haven't heard everything out there.

I'm especially impressed at how this little system compares with those crazy-expensive CD transports that still exist on the market. I've had models here from EMM, dCS, CEC, MSB, and MBL (weird, all three-letter names, I never noticed until now....) and none of them came anywhere close to what I get from this little ragtag system. Granted those models are often optimized to work with matching DACs from the same brand, so in some cases I didn't hear their full potential. Still, in the context of my own system, the Euphony was easily the better choice.
DSCF4585.jpg

I do have to stop here and caution readers that this is in fact "reviewer speak". The improvements I just mentioned are tangible in the right system, but I won't pretend this is on the level of switching to better headphones/speakers. Once you've got a capable transport and DAC, no amount of upgrades will be as big as upgrading transducers, or for that matter optimizing your space with room treatments. So please don't expect transformative night-to-day improvements from an upgrade like this. I wouldn't want someone with a Chord Mojo and a pair of K712s to run out and buy this system. That just doesn't make sense.

That said, in a top level system, the improvement can be very worthwhile. It seems that higher-performance DACs are the ones which benefit most from this setup. My reference, the Resonessence Mirus Pro, certainly shows the difference. Finally, a Roon-ready playback system capable of matching the superb sound made by the Mirus Pro's integrated SD Card playback engine. I've been torn between the superior sound of SD playback and the usability of Roon... but now I can have both. I also hear the difference when using excellent DACs such as the BMC UltraDAC, Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2v2SE 10th Anniversary Edition, Resonessence Labs Veritas, Playback Designs MPD-5, and exceptional vintage models like the Accuphase DC-101 and Sonic Frontiers SFD-1 mkII. All of these elevate to "best ever" status when paired with the trio - I have never heard these DACs sound better.

Other DACs I have on hand show a more modest improvement. This vaguely correlates with price, but not always. The Yulong DA9, Esoteric D-07x, Cayin iDAC-6, Oppo 105, and Calyx Femto can all show the difference between this trio and the Aurender X100L, but it takes critical listening and a good bit of patience to hear it. Considering the relatively low price of the trio, it might still be a worthwhile switch to make... or not. Depends on how content you might be with your current setup. For someone just starting out though, it's an obvious choice - and I say that as a long-time fan of the Aurender brand who still holds them in very high regard.
DSCF4633.jpg

Most DACs I've tried seem to do best over AES/EBU. Coaxial is the old standby, and always a solid choice, while Toslink is.... something I don't typically use. It's generally fine but I just don't usually bother with it considering the other options available. When possible though, the I2S connection is the best route. The PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC ($1699) via I2S connection joins the far more expensive DACs I mentioned two paragraphs ago, in terms of improvement compared to the Aurender. The mighty Wyred 4 Sound Anniversary DAC also flies highest via I2S - it's already killer via AES, but I2S the icing on the cake. If your DAC supports I2S, it's a no brainer format choice.

It is possible to use the Euphony directly via USB output. It sounds great - in a few cases, it might even sound better than using the X-SPDIF 2, depending on the DAC. Some devices do their best work via USB and in those cases you wouldn't need the Matrix at all. But my experience shows that most DACs do better through AES or coaxial when given a transport of this caliber. It really is case by case, and can be a bit confusing. For example, Arcam's recently discontinued D33 DAC ($3200) performs better via USB from my Surface Pro than it does using coaxial output from the Oppo 105. That made me initially think the design was just better suited for USB. But then I tried the Euphony/Matrix/Keces and discovered it actually sounded best via AES, then coaxial, then USB from the Surface Pro. Switching to a nicer USB source like the Aurender did nothing to change this order.
DSCF4603.jpg

Likewise, the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 can be used without the Euphony, and with excellent results. But it seems to be at its best work when fed a Euphony diet. Don't know why it matters so much, but it does. I even tried USB tweaks between Euphony and Matrix, like the Wyred Recovery, the BMC PureUSB cable, and the trusty UpTone Regen with matching PSU. None of these made a substantial difference, either with or without the Matrix in the chain. Neither does streaming over Ethernet to a SOtM sMS-200. This leads me to conclude that the Euphony PTS USB output is well sorted as-is, and nothing extra is really needed. As if the trio of products wasn't complex enough.

Value?
I've already mentioned the Intel NUC as a point of comparison. Let's discuss that briefly. Last year I bought a NUC with similar processing power as found in the PTS. I paid around $325 give or take. I then added RAM for another ~$70, and a 256GB SSD for $99. Not being a big fan of the system fan, I grabbed a passively cooled Akasa enclosure for silent operation, which came in around $100. The total system cost, after taxes and shipping, was approximately $650. That's just about half the price of the Euphony PTS system - and I'm not even counting an operating system. (Note that Euphony is available on SSD http://euphony-audio-usa.com/euphony_drives if you want to bring your own hardware. The starting point is $395 for a 256GB SSD.)

The comparison is apples to oranges. The NUC works great for HTPC duty, playing movies via Plex or Kodi. I also use it to run SNES and Genesis emulators. And of course it does music playback via Foobar, JRiver, or Roon, without any issues. But in terms of SQ I find it lacking when compared to the Euphony. It's fine, but relatively speaking it doesn't bring the same level of performance to the DACs I've paired it with, resulting in diminished soundstage, coarse treble, and less realism overall. Is it worth the extra ~$600? That depends... in a mixed use system I'd probably spend the money on a Matrix X-SPDIF 2 and pair it with a NUC for overall versatility. For pure music use, the Euphony PTS absolutely justifies the cost as far as I'm concerned.

Downsides?
Honestly, I don't love having three different boxes in my rack, even if they are all relatively small. I don't love the fact that the Euphony PTS only comes in silver while the Matrix and Keces only come in black. None of them really match from an aesthetic standpoint. Then there's the matter of cabling... one AC cable for the Keces, then two customized output cables feeding the Matrix and Euphony. USB cable from Euphony to Matrix, plus AES or coaxial or whatever format you choose from Matrix to DAC. It's all more complex than I like, but I put up with it because of the phenomenal SQ it brings.
DSCF4587.jpg

Conclusion
As mentioned, any of these devices are worthy of attention on their own. But when combined, the performance seems to be more than the sum of its parts. I have never achieved this level of transport quality at any price in the past, much less for $2200. Again, I realize that isn't cheap by any means.... I know money doesn't grow on trees, and that's a pretty big expenditure. But in a world of $4K LCD-4's, $6K DirectStream DACs, and IEMs in the several thousand dollar range, I don't think $2200 is unreasonable for an exceptionally well sorted transport system. I'll continue experimenting and reviewing other devices, but this trio will likely remain the foundation of my system for many years to come.

Some small amount of time has passed since you put together these building blocks to faciliate a hi-end transport, is this still your digital transport of choice?

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #210 of 210
Yes indeed, the only thing I changed was upgrading from the Euphony PTS to their Euphony Summus music server, which is like a more powerful/next gen version. But the original PTS is still a fabulous device and I use it in my speaker rig now.

That's good to know. Digital is a finicky thing, and your article is interesting because I too have found that the digital transport is very important if you want to get the best out of your DAC. I got a blast of goodness when I very recently purchased the Matrix X-SPDIF 2, it was very difficult to match or exceed and old Marantz NA7004 as a digital transport - but at last this has been achieved! The Marantz as a functional streamer was limited compared to modern alternatives - but it served as a formidable transport!

So I am pleased with the Matrix - and perhaps I can push its abilities even further. I am currently connecting the Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra to the Matrix (the streambox has a clean USB out as designed by John Westlake).

However I also own the sMS-200 Ultra and its sPS-500 psu which I will connect to the Matrix next - this "should" serve to improved the digital transport even further...

But no doubt about it - the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 is an excellent product allowing me to finally retire the Marantz - the Marantz was that hard to equal or beat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back