"Colouration" of a DAP's sound - How does it work?
Aug 2, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #76 of 95
I did some testing for 3 players, Ibasso's DX50/90 and the Ipod 4g and they show different problems, some of them has marginal jitter performance(low frequency jitter) and the DX50 has marginal IMD performance. Choice of DACs like the 9018 can determine the signature of the DAP, even if the distortion discreetly measure below the threshold of audibility, I do believe the sum of distortion is audible to users. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #77 of 95
  I did some testing for 3 players, Ibasso's DX50/90 and the Ipod 4g and they show different problems, some of them has marginal jitter performance(low frequency jitter) and the DX50 has marginal IMD performance. Choice of DACs like the 9018 can determine the signature of the DAP, even if the distortion discreetly measure below the threshold of audibility, I do believe the sum of distortion is audible to users. 

This makes sense, since music outputs range of frequency at once and the fact that waves constructively or destructively sum.

Can I see the measurements?

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #78 of 95
  I did some testing for 3 players, Ibasso's DX50/90 and the Ipod 4g and they show different problems, some of them has marginal jitter performance(low frequency jitter)

The jitter in an iPod is an order of magnitude below the threshold of audibility. I can't even find anyone who can describe accurately what jitter sounds like.

do a blind test of your three players against a source with known low jitter levels and I will listen to you.

Jitter is a hoodoo.

Aug 2, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #80 of 95
How can you compare subtle differences or comment on their audibility without direct A/B?

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #82 of 95
  even if the distortion discreetly measure below the threshold of audibility, I do believe the sum of distortion is audible to users. 

Not necessarily, since then the level of the signal will likely be higher as well as more components are added, and the overall ratio remains about the same. This can be tested with difference extraction, and I even posted some examples in older threads. None of these have shown major distortion or other unexpected artifacts that only appear while playing music.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #83 of 95
  I don't know about "positive elitist" but I've been described as a "pain in the ass". Is that the same thing?

hehe, well, to me, a positive elitist is someone who strives to be a bit more sophisticated than the average bear, has a certain flair about them when speaking, and uplifts his audience to greater heights with his insights, among many other things. ...Whereas a negative elitist would be the stereotypical snob who puts everyone down.

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #84 of 95
  My measurements are on the pirate's site 

confused.gif
 - you don't have access to your own measurements - why on earth would you do that ?

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #85 of 95

I don't know about "positive elitist" but I've been described as a "pain in the ass". Is that the same thing?

hehe, well, to me, a positive elitist is someone who strives to be a bit more sophisticated than the average bear, has a certain flair about them when speaking, and uplifts his audience to greater heights with his insights, among many other things. ...Whereas a negative elitist would be the stereotypical snob who puts everyone down.

even the puppy?
eek.gif

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #86 of 95
  Well, I had loaners from my friends which I kept for a pretty long time. 

That would have made it pretty easy to do a level matched A/B.

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #87 of 95

Hmmm... could be. I like to learn from other people who know more than me too.

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #89 of 95
Ha! I have two giant storage arrays. One holds music and movies and the other holds super high resolution images of art that I have scanned. I'm a digital archivist for a non-profit arts group, so people don't tease me for having so many drives. They want to browse my collections.

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #90 of 95
  Ha! I have two giant storage arrays. One holds music and movies and the other holds super high resolution images of art that I have scanned. I'm a digital archivist for a non-profit arts group, so people don't tease me for having so many drives. They want to browse my collections.

In that professional setting, I wouldn't expect ridicule. I suppose you don't mention it as much on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back