Colorfly CK4 first review
Jan 26, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #182 of 254
For around $180 this seems like a nice PMP and with Colorfly's SQ this is something I think I'm going to get in the near future.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #183 of 254
For around $180 this seems like a nice PMP and with Colorfly's SQ this is something I think I'm going to get in the near future.

Need to be amped though IMO. :wink:

And if you get one don't update the firmware, it messes up the battery meter slighty and won't show full after a charge instead 3/4, I can't revert back either.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #184 of 254
wish the C3 had a line out option... that's what would ell me on this CK4 if I need another PMP

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #185 of 254
Great thread everyone, lots of great info and discussion.

Just picked up a modded ck4, with new battery (double the power capacity), and new caps put in.  Came to a total of approx. $216USD (stock ck4 is approx. $150USD here in Hong Kong).

Some quick impressions, compared with the dx100 (that I just sold) and coming out of my westone es5's, the width of soundstage feels wider (though dx100 has a better height and depth), and mids are more pronounced.  Still burning in and hoping the treble and bass would be a bit more forward.  Sounds clean, spacious with decent power.  Although so far, details, separation, treble and bass are still below dx100's level, for this price, this player is hard to beat. (Not to mention has a battery that will run circles around the dx100).  

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #186 of 254
Great thread everyone, lots of great info and discussion.

Just picked up a modded ck4, with new battery (double the power capacity), and new caps put in.  Came to a total of approx. $216USD (stock ck4 is approx. $150USD here in Hong Kong).

Some quick impressions, compared with the dx100 (that I just sold) and coming out of my westone es5's, the width of soundstage feels wider (though dx100 has a better height and depth), and mids are more pronounced.  Still burning in and hoping the treble and bass would be a bit more forward.  Sounds clean, spacious with decent power.  Although so far, details, separation, treble and bass are still below dx100's level, for this price, this player is hard to beat. (Not to mention has a battery that will run circles around the dx100).  

Hi, thanks for your impressions.

I am highly interested in the mods done to your CK4, I would buy one in an instant if available. May I ask where you purchased it from? Also, this is going to be a long shot, but do you know if it's possible to purchase the higher capacity battery they used or if they sell them separately? if I could double the power capacity that would be superb.

You got a really good deal for $216 USD.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #189 of 254
Quote:
Hi, thanks for your impressions.

I am highly interested in the mods done to your CK4, I would buy one in an instant if available. May I ask where you purchased it from? Also, this is going to be a long shot, but do you know if it's possible to purchase the higher capacity battery they used or if they sell them separately? if I could double the power capacity that would be superb.

You got a really good deal for $216 USD.

The modded CK4 was from Yahoo auctions Hong Kong, apologies since it's in Chinese, but the mods include the 2350 mha battery, low resistance caps from Kernet, IC from Analog Devices for PO and LO, etc.  Here's a link, but in Traditional Chinese: 

http://hk.f1.page.auctions.yahoo.com/hk/auction/b23870926

As for the battery, I found one from taobao: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.10.9.QUAdPY&id=14897246982

This other one from taobao seems to be selling the parts for the mod, if you are interested. http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.10.2.QUAdPY&id=10485659145

PM me if you need help translating anything.  

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #190 of 254
Excellent thank you! I'm going to go ahead with this, I also found them on MisterTao's site, which makes things much easier for me.

http://www.mistertao.com/taobao-products/taobao-item-14897246982.html

You have inspired my interest in the other mods too, I might just go ahead and purchase a kit.

Thank you dragonfyra, you have been much help.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #192 of 254
Quote:
Hi, I actually came into this thread to update my current CK4+ experience, I've owned both players for a while now and know them pretty well.

As Berkovajazz said, CK4 is on another level of sound quality but not without a few problems imo, everything I said in that comparison still stands which was taken from the headphone outs. There's not much I would change, I still think C3 has better presentation of the two because it has balance across the entire frequency range. CK4's mid range is very rich sounding player, with superior detailing levels, soundstage, imaging and stereo (very good stereo) however the low end roll off lets it down and the highs are a little relaxed. From the headphone out I find myself hearing a lot of mid range detail. It reminds me of an upside V so.... "/\" I guess you could call it rather mid centric. The C3 is better balanced across the entire chart, but you will sacrifice that awesome detail, rich clarity and soundstage by a margin.

Although CK4 is a step above in in these area's does it really make it the better player? because you're flooded with all this detail and clarity that over powers the low and high end? I tend to say no because everything isn't working together as one, And that's the problem with CK4+'s headphone out, the low /mid / highs don't speak to each other they're just "there" doing their own thing with a mid range that likes to overide it's partners. C3 they work as a team, they work together to form "presentation"

That's the best I can describe it.

You may of noticed I kept mentioning the word headphone out above and that's because you can transform CK4+ into something truly special by using it's line out. By doing so you lose the bass roll off, the signature becomes more balanced and also the problem I mentioned in this thread about the internal / external memory is much less obvious using it's line out feature. If you amp CK4+ with something like the $100 C&C BH it transform into one great sounding player beyond what the headphone out achieves. Honestly, after amping CK4 with this little amp the headphone out sounds very average compared.

So If you were keen on amping CK4 with something like the C&C BH portable amp I would highly recommend it over C3, then you truly are in another league. You'd be looking at around $300 to get the amp and player though. Here's the thread if you're interested.

@~Berkovajazz if you want to take your CK4 to the next level, you really should be checking out this amp, it's one of the cleanest detailed amps I've heard.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

In term of sound quality which is more superior, CK4 or C3? Which one has a better sound stage & separation?

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #194 of 254
In term of sound quality which is more superior, CK4 or C3? Which one has a better sound stage & separation?

CK4+ has the bigger soundstage. Believe it or not C3 has better instrument separation of the two. CK4+ is only superior amping from it's line out IMO. If I had to choose one player using the headphones outs only I would choose C3 because it has better balance through out the frequency range . The sound quality gap between them is not as big as one might think. However, CK4+ is suprerior in detailing, clarity and soundstage. it's signature is just not balanced enough for me compared to C3. But if you amp CK4 it blows C3 away and any other player I own.

@~Berkovajazz: Just curious, have you heard the C3 before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back