Colorfly CK4, finally some competition for the HifiMan 60X ?
Mar 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #226 of 268
That was the charger supplied by Colorfly with my unit so I assume that it is ok

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #227 of 268
There are two of these via ebay.

Look at the back panels, they look different?  Notice the VENT.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COLORFLY-CK4-24bit-192KHz-8GB-internal-AMP-HiFi-Music-Audio-Video-Player-/290610028898

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-COLORFLY-CK4-8GB-internal-AMP-HiFi-24bit-192KHz-Music-Audio-Video-Player-/330747119527

Anyone know what's up there?  I highly doubt either is a fake.

$(KGrHqJHJBYE+PCQ5+BEBP1Vy6304Q~~60_3.JPG

[size=22pt][size=12pt]
CK-4N.jpg
[/size]
[/size]

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #228 of 268
Even though I can't read Chinese I thought this was a fantastic review.

"Music performance:
凭借优秀的结像定位能力,CK4适合绝大多数的音乐类型演绎,尤其以女声流行、弦乐古典为甚,适合演绎的流行是配乐旋律感和节奏感较强的类型,比如摇滚和各类独立音乐。​
Positioning capability with excellent knot like CK4 suitable for most type of music interpretation, particularly in the female pop, classical strings staggering suitable for the interpretation of popular music a strong sense of melody and rhythm type, such as rock and all kinds of independent music.

流行方面​
Popular aspects of
在ACG JPOP 摇滚的演绎上表现优异,原本IE8的摇滚和ACG都是弱项,但是在CK4上提升低频凝聚后,也很精彩。​
Outstanding performance on the interpretation of the ACG JPOP rock, original IE8 rock and the ACG are weaknesses, but to enhance the low frequency cohesion on the CK4, and very exciting.
人声流行神马的,有了良好结像能力的前端,ie8自然如虎添翼,韵味十足的人声加上清晰的结像感,人声绝对毒,当然此“毒”非彼“毒”,一个立体声的“毒”声和平面靠染色的“毒”声完全不是一个概念。​
Vocal popular god of horses, with a good knot like the front of the ability of ie8 natural unleashed, full flavor of the human voice with a clear junction like the sense of absolute poison, voice, of course, this "poison" nor that "poison", a "poisoning" of the stereo sound and flat by the staining of "poison" sound is not a concept.

古典方面(现代派小协大毒啊~)​
Classical aspects of (modernist Association poison ah ~)
私以为CK4最适合表现的古典音乐类型是小提琴协奏曲,良好的空间感加上优美的弦乐音色在演绎海老的提琴实在让人享受,弦如华光丰韵,一副桀骜的凌然感,较为丰富的堂音和中频饱满的音色(稍微浓郁了点);​
Private thought the CK4 most suitable for the performance of classical music types is the violin concerto is hard to enjoy the good sense of space with beautiful string sounds in the interpretation of the sea - old violin strings, such as the Huaguang Feng Yun, an unruly Ling natural sense, more Church tone IF full sound (a little strong point);

另外私以为CK4+IE8表现最为出彩的古典音乐类型现代派的一些音乐,可能很多人适应不了,但是这就是ART,本人也是现代派入门阶段,一听之下即被CK4“毒”到……格拉斯的小协,针对这种比较“独特”的音乐类型,这套组合能将情感表现的非常到位,没有多少华丽旋律,甚至有些凌乱,让人不安的情绪。​
Another private thought classical music CK4 + IE8 was the most out of color types of modernist music, many people may not adapt to, but this is ART, I is also the modernist entry phase, under a of CK4 "poison to ... Grass Association, for this "unique" type of music, this combination of emotional expression can very much in place, not many gorgeous melodies, and even a little messy, disturbing emotions.
这更符合当代社会,这就是我们所处的资本主义社会,ck4的声音是能够让人在这种拉开的空间中去思考一些当代社会的音乐情绪,非常富有张力的弦乐,主奏和协奏强烈的音乐色彩对比让人有些痴狂,最终你会发现这种快速的空间置换感本身就是一种奔流不息的节奏,而后换到勋伯格的幻想曲,在这种无调性的古典曲目中仅靠弦弓摩擦营造空间感竟然也从ie8的声音中能感受到,一般来说ie8的在表现小编制和无伴奏提琴的现场是不够理想的,不过搭配ck4之后,空间感的提升。​
This is more in line with contemporary society, we live in a capitalist society, the sound ck4 is able to make people in this opened space to think about the musical mood of contemporary society is full of tension strings, the main outs and concerto a strong sense of musical color contrast was a bit crazy, and eventually you will find the sense of this rapid replacement of space itself is an endless torrent of rhythm, then change to Schoenberg's Fantasie in this atonal string bow friction to create a sense of space even from ie8's voice can feel alone in the classical repertoire, generally speaking ie8 performance preparation and accompaniment of violin-site is not ideal, but with ck4 sense of space improved.

最后,关于塞子搭配方面,一定要搭配结像能力强的塞子,建议是动圈。​
Finally, on the plug with aspects like the ability of the plug, must be used with the knot, it is recommended to move the circle.
动铁se530、tf10这类的结像可以忽略的塞子估计出不来好声,一句话,那种声音特别通透,高频很亮的动铁很可能不太适合ck4,不过据说slc5搭配ck4很不错。​
Moving iron se530, tf10 kind of knot like the plug that can be ignored estimates can not get out a good sound, a word, the kind of sound, especially transparent, high frequency and very bright moving iron may not be suitable for ck4, but said slc5 with ck4 very good.

格式方面,支持ape flac wav,完全满足烧友需求。​
Formats, support for the ape, flac wav, fully meet the the Shao demand.

应该说CK的声音取向是以驱动低阻耳塞的流行音乐类型表现为主,兼顾古典小编制的方向,乐器音色表现力优秀,人声毒而不黏,声场通透,纵深不多,但是结像中正,人声位置准确,可以听口型的那种,空间感不错~演绎现代版的小协着实毒的我不轻。​
It should be said that CK voice of orientation is to drive low-impedance earplug types of music performance-based, taking into account the direction of the classical small preparation, excellent instrument sounds expressive vocals poison and not sticky, transparent sound field depth not much, but the knot I do not like the location of the Chiang Kai-shek, people sound accurate, you can listen to the kind of mouth, good sense of space ~ interpretation of the modern version of the Association is really toxic light.
要说缺点嘛,最大的问题就是声底不够干净,两端延展也有所欠缺,没办法,mp4播放器,都是钽电容,最大的优点是频响范围内不丢信息,所以空间感还是不错的。​
Say shortcomings, the biggest problem is the sound of the end is not clean enough, at both ends to extend lacking, no way, mp4 player, are tantalum capacitors, the biggest advantage is to not lose information in the frequency range, so the sense of space or the.

---------------------------------​
---------------------------------
后记,​
Postscript,
仔细想了下这机器为啥听古典这么毒……​
Think the next machine so why listen to classical so poison ...
俺终于想到了似曾相识的声音……​
I finally thought of a familiar voice ...
是滴,黑嗓337~~~​
Dripping, black throat 337 ~ ~ ~
非常浓郁的古典味儿。​
Very rich classical taste.
。​
。​
这是个十分风格化的声音,lo接放的话,音色会正很多~​
This is a very stylized sound, lo then put the words, tone being ~
估计这颗新运放也是对细节动态进行了一些细微的放大处理。​
Estimated that this new op-amp is also some minor zoom on details of the dynamic."

Jun 17, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #229 of 268
Dunno how good the C4 "high-end" model  -- or other high-enders, like Head-Direct, etc -- sound (the C4, e.g., adds upsampling and a putatively better AD823 OPA). The CK4 can be improved quite dramatically by swapping the el-cheapo OEM OPAs* with, e.g., ad8397 [you can get it free if you sample it from AD's web site] -- do it for both LO and HO. Do it carefully: Disconnect the batt. Ground everything. Disconnect ribbon cable carefully. Orig OPAs best removed via flooding method. The PCB traces on this CHEAP-MADE device are fragile. Be gentle and careful!! If you don't want to risk DIY modding this device (wise!), get someone who has confidence and skill-set. And will do it cost-effectively. Yeah ... it's worth the hassle.

* By "el-cheapo", I'm not necessarily referring to the $ price/cost of the OPA. Several MODERN <$1.00/ea. OPAs are v.v. good -- technology has come a long way. Rather, "el-cheapo" can reflect the SQ and/or not enough time/resources devoted to part selection, rolling, o'scope tweaking, or best/optimum-matching. 

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #230 of 268
Hi, thanks for your reply.

How many op-amps are there in the CK4?  Is there one dedicated to the line-out?  I hate 'weak' op-amps colouring a 'line-out', and it's one of my primary concerns prior to purchasing the CK4.

I'd like to practice desoldering AU chips on cheap circuit boards before installing AD823 on the HO of the CK4.  I say AD823 because, well, it's already on the C4, they put a lot of R&D into that one, so I'll just trust it suits the circuit and voltage quite well and sounds good, as evidenced by independant reports on it.

The HO op-amp on the CK4, I read somewhere else, is the same as in the Yulong U100, which to be honest I didn't like the sound of, however op-amps don't dictate the total sound experience, and I'm happy to use LO into a portable amplifer, which is my primary concern, I just want to use that CS4398. =)

Now what's this "flooding method" you speak of? =)

The Hifimans sound different, since they're NOS, they appeal to a vintage / retro sound, while the C4 and CK4 are modern sound.

I'm not sure about the choice of capacitors and op-amps in the Hifiman HM-601, to be honest I've heard walkmans and discmans which easily sound better.

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #232 of 268
Quote:
How many op-amps are there in the CK4?  Is there one dedicated to the line-out?  I hate 'weak' op-amps colouring a 'line-out', and it's one of my primary concerns prior to purchasing the CK4.

The HO op-amp on the CK4, I read somewhere else, is the same as in the Yulong U100, which to be honest I didn't like the sound of, however op-amps don't dictate the total sound experience, and I'm happy to use LO into a portable amplifer, which is my primary concern, I just want to use that CS4398. =)

Now what's this "flooding method" you speak of? =)

Op-amps -- yup, the Ck4's stock opa's --  2 used: one right after the DAC (LO), the other for HO -- are some unmarked brands. Could be the same as in Yulongs you noted -- and those are NOT bad. The 2 opa's are SERIALLY connected to each other (the 1st is right after the DAC, it's a buffer of sorts; and from there you "Y" off to LO (jack) and opa for HO). So LO is more pure. Alas, the digital volume affects LO, so not perfect -- but even with that setback, the STOCK Ck4 sounds better than my tweaked/modded Teclast and QLS-350. But a cheap/"simple" OPA upgrade really makes it shine ... Indeed, the ad8397 is a  very, VERY nice $2 opa (cheap opa's have really evolved in last few yrs!), and it's HIGH-CURRENT to boot, so good for HO. The QLS-350 v.2 uses this for its HO, but for this DAP, it's best to swap out the stock AD8656 LO for the 8397 
(8397: fwd, tight, clear, clean, POWERFUL/IMPACTFUL sound, with PRaT, and the AD charc. -- flat-Earth studio sound w/o much 3D or depth -- but not bright like older AD's )
Flooding -- flood the pins with extra solder to create a molten blob 'bridge'  ... check out the video (de/soldering) tutorial at Tangetsoft.net.

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #234 of 268
Still haven't seen any info on battery life playing flac or wav. Anyone care to comment?

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #236 of 268
Here's a comparison review between Colorfly C3, Colorfly CK4, Rocoo S,  Studio V, and Sansa Clip.

http://tupperwav.com/le-materiel/colorfly-c3-comparatif-avec-4-autres-baladeurs-a-vocation-audiophile/

It's in French, so I had to use Google translator to read it.
The reviewer likes the CK4 the best.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #237 of 268
If it wasn't so big and touchscreen, I'd be all over the Ck4 for that price. C3 looks like a nice no-nonsense deal. I think HiSound missed a bit on the RoCoos with the -P dynamic FW. I think they're much better with an older version, it's linked somewhere in this forum. I wonder how that would compare because that way, it's clearly better than my clip. My anniversary 3 is great for me, I wish I had heard a V to compare it to.

Looks like the Ck4 is the deal if the form and function factor fit your needs according to that reviewer, mostly due to bass character vs the studio. I like the bass on my Anv 3 but it still costs twice as much.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #238 of 268
Quote:
Dunno how good the C4 "high-end" model  -- or other high-enders, like Head-Direct, etc -- sound (the C4, e.g., adds upsampling and a putatively better AD823 OPA). The CK4 can be improved quite dramatically by swapping the el-cheapo OEM OPAs* with, e.g., ad8397 [you can get it free if you sample it from AD's web site] -- do it for both LO and HO. Do it carefully: Disconnect the batt. Ground everything. Disconnect ribbon cable carefully. Orig OPAs best removed via flooding method. The PCB traces on this CHEAP-MADE device are fragile. Be gentle and careful!! If you don't want to risk DIY modding this device (wise!), get someone who has confidence and skill-set. And will do it cost-effectively. Yeah ... it's worth the hassle.

* By "el-cheapo", I'm not necessarily referring to the $ price/cost of the OPA. Several MODERN <$1.00/ea. OPAs are v.v. good -- technology has come a long way. Rather, "el-cheapo" can reflect the SQ and/or not enough time/resources devoted to part selection, rolling, o'scope tweaking, or best/optimum-matching. 

I noticed that the 823 is speced for single rail use and the 8397 may not be. I'd so some further checking on the devices and circuit before proceeding. Looking over more info, 1 rail may be fine.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #239 of 268
just wondering if anyone heard anything on the ck5, from what I can see it is the samething.Any info would be great, also are they legit, I would be buying it on ebay out of hong kong. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #240 of 268
Hey Guys,

Just received this player today. Still testing it out. One question though, should the LO be affected by volume changes using the player controls?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back