Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Sep 21, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #2,191 of 3,325
Thanks for that mate, so you've tried that iem directly with the c3 on various types of music and found the sound to be not only airy, but warm and smooth? Because that's how I think I like it
smily_headphones1.gif
seems a good price too, is this the one you're talking about?
http://penonaudio.com/HAVI-B3-PRO

You can always go with the vsonic vsd3s - it pairs pretty well with the c3.
  Hello C3 enthusiasts, just two quick questions: can the C3 shuffle songs on an SD card? How's the battery life?

The C3 can only play files within one folder at a time, so it can only shuffle files within one folder. So technically the only way to shuffle all of your music is if you dump all the files in one folder but then it will become hard to find specific artists, albums or songs. Otherwise, battery life is about 15 hours at max volume.

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #2,192 of 3,325
Perfect! The folders on my clip zip are organized by genre so it works out. Hopefully I'd be able to milk that 15 hours with my UE4000 (assuming the output power is comparable to the clip...I rarely go 60-70% volume, usually 40-55%). Does the player crash often (I'd be playing MP3 and 44.1 FLAC)? Also, I did some reading on this player a while ago, and apparently the C3 doesn't have automatic resume - does this mean if I turn the player off then I'd have to start over from song one again? Sorry if I'm bombarding you with questions...this DAP really piqued my interest :p

The FiiO X1 is interesting too, but it's quoted at 12 hours and I'd be using it for my folder browsing business (and I have my Sansa Fuze for that). My clip was my shuffle player, and it's too thin without the clip lol

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #2,193 of 3,325
  Perfect! The folders on my clip zip are organized by genre so it works out. Hopefully I'd be able to milk that 15 hours with my UE4000 (assuming the output power is comparable to the clip...I rarely go 60-70% volume, usually 40-55%). Does the player crash often (I'd be playing MP3 and 44.1 FLAC)? Also, I did some reading on this player a while ago, and apparently the C3 doesn't have automatic resume - does this mean if I turn the player off then I'd have to start over from song one again? Sorry if I'm bombarding you with questions...this DAP really piqued my interest :p

The FiiO X1 is interesting too, but it's quoted at 12 hours and I'd be using it for my folder browsing business (and I have my Sansa Fuze for that). My clip was my shuffle player, and it's too thin without the clip lol

Well, then it should be fine but another thing - it won't play files that are in subfolders. So either all files should be all together in one folder or you won't be able to play them all at once shuffled. Output power is about the same as a clip. As far as crashes go, very rarely the buttons become unresponsive and you have to restart the c3 but for me that's happened less than 10 times over more than 2 years of use. And yeah, no automatic resume, so you'll have to start over.

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #2,194 of 3,325
  Well, then it should be fine but another thing - it won't play files that are in subfolders. So either all files should be all together in one folder or you won't be able to play them all at once shuffled. Output power is about the same as a clip. As far as crashes go, very rarely the buttons become unresponsive and you have to restart the c3 but for me that's happened less than 10 times over more than 2 years of use. And yeah, no automatic resume, so you'll have to start over.

Yeah, I organized my clip's library so its one folder per genre so I should be all set for that. But hmm...as for the lack of auto resume, I guess pausing the track would be a reasonable workaround if it's just for 1-2 hours? Also I noticed on your profile that you have a rockboxed clip; is the C3's shuffle comparable to the rockbox's shuffle (like, is the shuffle programed in the C3 so that it only plays each song in a folder once)? I remember having a DAP that played a song multiple times when I shuffle...which may have been the sansas on stock firmware, but I don't remember

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #2,195 of 3,325
  Yeah, I organized my clip's library so its one folder per genre so I should be all set for that. But hmm...as for the lack of auto resume, I guess pausing the track would be a reasonable workaround if it's just for 1-2 hours? Also I noticed on your profile that you have a rockboxed clip; is the C3's shuffle comparable to the rockbox's shuffle (like, is the shuffle programed in the C3 so that it only plays each song in a folder once)? I remember having a DAP that played a song multiple times when I shuffle...which may have been the sansas on stock firmware, but I don't remember

Sorry, I like my music in specific order, so I don't use shuffle but I can test it out for you if you want.

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #2,198 of 3,325
Hey guys, you can probably tell from my username I'm new around here (at least I've never signed up to say anything until now)
First I'd like to say thanks to a lot of you people for helping me make choices on various audio items, especially H2o (I'm from Australia too)
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, I've had a colorfly c3 for quite a while and only have one decent pair of iems, vsonic gr06. As far as I could tell both of these items are very good value, especially the gr06 (I very much like the sound out of these).
But recently I found an old iPod mini in the shed, so I put rockbox on it and gave it a spin. I was shocked at how much better the iPod sounded through the gr06's, especially after I tweaked the eq a tad.
I'm assuming that the c3 and the gr06 iems have bad 'synergy', whatever that means and I'll need to start looking for a new pair of iems to bring out the quality of the c3? I was hoping someone might be able to give me a recommendation for a decently priced pair of iems (preferably under $100?) that will go well with the c3? Or would buying the cc b&h amp be more worth while? Would be very very interested to hear what you guys think, thanks for your help!

Sorry, I've been away for the weekend.

Keeping in mind by using EQ on the iPod mini you're basically tailoring the sound exactly how you like it, more bass, more/less treble etc. I think a possible option for you to get good synergy with C3 is Shure SE215 which I know pairs well and can be found for around $100 AUD. You can try Havi B3 which is an excellent dual driver IEM though I personally don't feel C3 alone has the output power requirements to drive them up to full speed. YMMV. Research the SE215 imo see if the signature suits then pop back here.

There are other options, like Vsonic VSD3S for $45 (which can keep up with the SE215) though I worry you'll just be getting more of similar GR06 sound, the VSD3S is an excellent pairing with C3 and can be driven correctly. You might want to also check out Kogan the $29 DAP we discovered (that sounds very very good).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/730831/kogan-8gb-mp4-the-player-that-came-from-nowhere

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #2,199 of 3,325
Thanks for that mate, so you've tried that iem directly with the c3 on various types of music and found the sound to be not only airy, but warm and smooth? Because that's how I think I like it
smily_headphones1.gif
seems a good price too, is this the one you're talking about?
http://penonaudio.com/HAVI-B3-PRO

Affirmative 
beerchug.gif
 Don't worry, C3 is efficient enough to drive them because of the B3's high sensitivity unless you are always listening at full volumes 
basshead.gif
 Just make sure you get the old version PRO I

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #2,200 of 3,325
Thanks guys for your replies, I'm thinking of getting the b3 (original) and seeing how that goes. Maybe after I'll get the topping nx1 to complement it... Hopefully those two along with the c3 should go quite well!
Not too sure on the Kogan player H2O, I certainly trust your ears but since I've already got a c3, a clip+ (which I don't think sounds very good) and an old iPod mini, I'm not convinced it'll fix my problem.
Also might consider (later on of course, wallet can only stretch so far!) the t1e. I'll let you guys know anyways!

Oh yes what I didn't explain before was what exactly sounded better when using the iPod mini over the c3- while I can't pick anything overly bad with the c3, the iPod seemed to be a lot more airy, with much better instrument separation. Also sounded quite warm, which I like, (probably due to the Wolfson DAC) while staying relatively detailed. I did have to slightly reduce some midrange frequencies because it tended to sound a bit "shouty" if that's a word haha.
EDIT: while the shures sound like decent iems, they are at minimum $100 which is pretty much the cost of the nx1 amp and the havi b3 pro 1 together. I assume the latter is the better value, would I be correct?

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #2,202 of 3,325
Thanks guys for your replies, I'm thinking of getting the b3 (original) and seeing how that goes. Maybe after I'll get the topping nx1 to complement it... Hopefully those two along with the c3 should go quite well!
Not too sure on the Kogan player H2O, I certainly trust your ears but since I've already got a c3, a clip+ (which I don't think sounds very good) and an old iPod mini, I'm not convinced it'll fix my problem.
Also might consider (later on of course, wallet can only stretch so far!) the t1e. I'll let you guys know anyways!

Oh yes what I didn't explain before was what exactly sounded better when using the iPod mini over the c3- while I can't pick anything overly bad with the c3, the iPod seemed to be a lot more airy, with much better instrument separation. Also sounded quite warm, which I like, (probably due to the Wolfson DAC) while staying relatively detailed. I did have to slightly reduce some midrange frequencies because it tended to sound a bit "shouty" if that's a word haha.
EDIT: while the shures sound like decent iems, they are at minimum $100 which is pretty much the cost of the nx1 amp and the havi b3 pro 1 together. I assume the latter is the better value, would I be correct?

Shure has the advantage of an interchangeable cable, but the sound may not be as complete. For exercising and versatility, you should pick the se215 because you can replace the cable and it goes well with the clip+. For simply sound and matching with the C3, definitely havi b3 pro1. If you are still not satisfied because the lack of power, then you can add the nx1 amp.
gs1000.gif

Sep 23, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #2,203 of 3,325
  Well, do tell. Anyway, you know that I'm the opposite - while the BH is a bit more musical and open sounding I hate what it's doing to the lower end - kinda saturating and softening it. In that regard the C5 just destroys it and even the E11 is a bit better keeping the bass a bit tighter and more solid.

I find this strange! I can't comment on the c5 amp, but my experience with the BH2 is that it hardens and tightens to bass ever so slightly. For me the helps to even out the one weakness of the c3 which is its soft bass, loose bass. I am a real bass head, I keep the c3 on jazz setting and the BH2 LF button always on and use WS77 Audio Technica (solid bass series) headphones, and the bass rocks my socks off! Plus with the clarity and life the c3 gives to the midrange its just a joy to listen to!  

Sep 23, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #2,204 of 3,325

I find this strange! I can't comment on the c5 amp, but my experience with the BH2 is that it hardens and tightens to bass ever so slightly. For me the helps to even out the one weakness of the c3 which is its soft bass, loose bass. I am a real bass head, I keep the c3 on jazz setting and the BH2 LF button always on and use WS77 Audio Technica (solid bass series) headphones, and the bass rocks my socks off! Plus with the clarity and life the c3 gives to the midrange its just a joy to listen to!  

Not really. It does bring a bit better control on high gain but overall is more on the smoother and softer side being more musical. And the LF switch is nothing what most amps do with their bass boosts - it's kinda boosting the upper treble and adding more air to the mix and a body of the bass increases a bit but other amps tighten the bass a lot more, improve its impact and thickness while with the BH in comparison the low end is kinda hollow and soft.

Sep 23, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #2,205 of 3,325

its because C3's headphone out by default has a small amount of low end roll-off with most low impedance IEM (which should not be there) When you add the amp it corrects that issue.I really cannot tell you the specifics exactly why it cures the problem even though it has been explained to me many months ago. (ClieOS knows)

To read about DAPS that suffer low end roll-off check this thread here. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/638611/question-about-mp3-players-with-roll-off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back