Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Aug 5, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #2,161 of 3,325
  Well, I'm just reminding you coz often people come here with questions about files that won't play on the c3. Otherwise, if you think that you only need play and pause and you can manage with the touch controls, to play files only by folder, the limited UI and the little screen then you should be fine coz the  c3 does sound great.
And just for reference on how small the screen is coz people are often surprised

Good info. The C3's UI and touch screen and backward filename scrolling and lack of playlist support and lack of auto-resume and lack of auto-shutoff drives me a bit batty. But I really like it's SQ (especially when paired with the BH amp), and I overall I love the little beast and use and enjoy it all of the time. The rockboxed clip zip, although a step down in SQ from the C3, still sounds pretty good to me, and the size, functionality, auto-shutoff, auto-resume, buttons etc etc makes it equally indispensable to me.

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #2,162 of 3,325

Good info. The C3's UI and touch screen and backward filename scrolling and lack of playlist support and lack of auto-resume and lack of auto-shutoff drives me a bit batty. But I really like it's SQ (especially when paired with the BH amp), and I overall I love the little beast and use and enjoy it all of the time. The rockboxed clip zip, although a step down in SQ from the C3, still sounds pretty good to me, and the size, functionality, auto-shutoff, auto-resume, buttons etc etc makes it equally indispensable to me.

Well, lately I've been using the zip a lot outside. But it's a fact that it doesn't sounds nearly as good as the c3 even though it is pretty decent. Its biggest advantage are the hardware buttons - I really don't care at all about playlists and resume. Also don't care about auto shut off but they could have implemented it as obviously it's there on some level coz if you plug the c3 in power only only mode and unplug it it shuts off in few minutes.

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #2,163 of 3,325
  Well, lately I've been using the zip a lot outside. But it's a fact that it doesn't sounds nearly as good as the c3 even though it is pretty decent. Its biggest advantage are the hardware buttons - I really don't care at all about playlists and resume. Also don't care about auto shut off but they could have implemented it as obviously it's there on some level coz if you plug the c3 in power only only mode and unplug it it shuts off in few minutes.

Yes, the zip is great for outdoors. I use it when cutting the lawn, biking, kayaking. I also use it when falling asleep which is where I want the auto-shutoff. And sometimes I want to listen some more later on in the night, so the  buttons and auto-resume make it super easy to get going again without having to turn on any lights.

The C3 does shut off automatically if you only listen to one album, but often I am listening to my "favorites folder" (instead of playlist sigh) which has many songs in it, so that's where auto-shutoff would come in handy then. But it's the auto-resume that I miss the most, because it's a pain in the butt to try to get to the same spot with the C3. Oh, and I forgot about "auto play next folder".. that would be nice as well.

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #2,164 of 3,325
I like the auto shutoff on the Zip. I use it a lot in the office and am in the habit of pausing the music when I walk away from my desk. With the feature enabled I save on battery.

I've seen BH amplifyer a lot but what does that stand for? What amp is that?

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #2,165 of 3,325
  I like the auto shutoff on the Zip. I use it a lot in the office and am in the habit of pausing the music when I walk away from my desk. With the feature enabled I save on battery.

I've seen BH amplifyer a lot but what does that stand for? What amp is that?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

It pairs quite nicely with the C3 a lot of us find.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #2,167 of 3,325
I deeply fear you're correct there :frowning2: I love my C3 to bits but an upgrade would be nice - It will be interesting to hear what the Fiio X1 cut down player sounds like when it's eventually released. (It's meant to be a bit smaller than the Fiio X5)

http://i.imgur.com/iH0Xv9z.jpg 

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #2,169 of 3,325
  Colorfly C3 + Shure SE215 = Very good pairing.

Go out and buy youself one today.

The Fiio RC-SE1 makes them that much better, IMHO. Or probably any other SPC cable.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #2,170 of 3,325
  The Fiio RC-SE1 makes them that much better, IMHO. Or probably any other SPC cable.

I'm tempted and think it's inevitably going to happen. I'm just coming to terms the cable will probably cost more than the used Shure did.

In attempting to stop the urge I've already selected a cable I will would go ahead with (it it happened). The other half of me says, those little SE215 completely deserve it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321481460850?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #2,172 of 3,325
Hi all
i want to buy one of the
Fiio X3(stadalone DAP) or Colofly C3+C&C BH(DAP+Amp)
which one do you think will have better sq (detail, clarity, refinement) ?

Haven't heard X3, it's an ongoing task I can't seem to accomplish, maybe it's just not meant to be. If UI is important to you then take into consideration C3's slightly underdeveloped interface, though I can tell you the C3 / BH is good from a clarity aspect though a little blurry in the mid-range due to the amp imo.

Keep in mind FiiO X1 will be released very soon however I'm fairly confident C3 will stand it's ground still in SQ.

Hopefully someone else has heard X3 for you.

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #2,173 of 3,325
Well, I've heard both x3 and x5 and the c3 definitely stands its ground sq-wise. Even on its own (without the BH, which I still don't consider a good pairing with the c3 and most of my iems)

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #2,174 of 3,325
Can stand it's ground against DX50 headphone out too, actually takes a decent dump on the iBasso soundstage . I was trying to listen to an open back headphone tonight , DX50 HO sucked any life or air straight away from them (really bugs me for it's price).because it just squashes the stage, really bad imo. You can feel the side channels close in you. But with a decent amp like JDS C5 / C421 from line out the DX50 rig pulls away. Personally I felt X5 pulled away, that isn't to say I enjoy C3's tonality more.

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #2,175 of 3,325
That's good to know about the C3 and bad for the DX50. I'm looking to get rid of my X3 for the DX50, I will be using the DX50 through LO to the E12 so it might not be that bad hooked up that way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back