Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Aug 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #2,146 of 3,325
  i dropped my c3 from about 1.3m height to the ground... oh, how it hurts me

i'm quite of a basshead, so reading from the reviews of a possibly "fatiguing bass" is attractive from the C5 jds. the jds objective 02 is 129$ now, close to C&C's price and reported for a wider soundstage than the C5.
any comments on the 02 with Colorfly ? but right now, im getting the hype and excitement for the c5. even noticeable from my avatar, you'd know, i'd like some quality bass. 

C5 had the best bass-boost, it's quite reowned for it.

Well, it's not really sounding that different to me now -  I did have more than 1000 hours clocked on my old c3, so I'm thinking after some more use it will probably be the same. But even if it doesn't I'll get used to such a small difference - one might say it's a positive thing as it's slightly more neutral lol 
tongue_smile.gif

And yeah, I wouldn't mind something new from colorfly with exactly the same size but maybe slightly bigger screen, volume buttons on the side and either physical buttons on the front or just plysical play and skip buttons added on one of the sides. I wouldn't even ask about better software or line-out. 

Yeah, something new would be nice, a little more power and bigger screen, try and keep any bass roll-off to a minium next time round.  And no backwards scrolling folder tittles, make me chuck a wobbly. 

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #2,147 of 3,325

Yeah, something new would be nice, a little more power and bigger screen, try and keep any bass roll-off to a minium next time round.  And no backwards scrolling folder tittles, make me chuck a wobbly. 

Well, hopefully some day we'll see something like that. I was hyped about the fiio x1 but the first impressions about it being warm and bassy kinda put me off and that's why I decided to get c3 again. When it's released I'll go to the store to audition it but I'm not super excited anymore.

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #2,148 of 3,325
Aug 3, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #2,149 of 3,325
  Well, hopefully some day we'll see something like that. I was hyped about the fiio x1 but the first impressions about it being warm and bassy kinda put me off and that's why I decided to get c3 again. When it's released I'll go to the store to audition it but I'm not super excited anymore.

Well, hopefully some day we'll see something like that. I was hyped about the fiio x1 but the first impressions about it being warm and bassy kinda put me off and that's why I decided to get c3 again. When it's released I'll go to the store to audition it but I'm not super excited anymore.

C3 still stands its ground against DX50 and X3 so why should one move to another DAP. One thing you can't take away from C3 (or any DAP for that matter) is the unique timbre, atmosphere, individuality. While the DX90 I have on loan atm pulls away, it still doesn't present the same 'audiophile vibe' or timbre I feel from the $100 Colourfly. Actually, DX90 I find quite aggressive sounding in detail and resolution,  much so it becomes a focus point and tends to hurdle the music at you, not sure I like that. C3 is smooth and detailed, with that slight amount of coloration (but DX90 is very good overall). As for soundstage I think C3 is wider than all 3 above players mentioned (X3, DX50, DX90)

IMO

But C3's downfall is UI, after using DX50 touch screen C3 become a little tedious. Sometimes I find myself picking up the iBasso to make the experience a little nicer/easier. (UI is a big part of the experience imo)  something I never used to think so.

Are you getting in one of those GemTune WS1.2 Bluebird's?

What is this Bluebird I keep hearing about? Fill Uncle H20 in please.

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #2,150 of 3,325
I doubt we will see any new product lines from Colorfly in the near future unless your looking for tablets...

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #2,152 of 3,325
Thanks Uncle it's good to know when a guy makes a mistake he lives it forever.

Sounds like an Ex I once had... :D

The "Masa Troll" has received one in the Chinese Brand thread, no report on it yet, $43 out of Amazon.com only and no eBay as far as I can see...

Dual 9V's with charger, Pailiccs IC cable, might be a good little amp but we will see if he has anything good to say about it.

I still need to get one of those NX-1's...

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #2,153 of 3,325
Thanks Uncle it's good to know when a guy makes a mistake he lives it forever.

Sounds like an Ex I once had...
biggrin.gif

The "Masa Troll" has received one in the Chinese Brand thread, no report on it yet, $43 out of Amazon.com only and no eBay as far as I can see...

Dual 9V's with charger, Pailiccs IC cable, might be a good little amp but we will see if he has anything good to say about it.

I still need to get one of those NX-1's...

Haha, 
wink.gif
 How about that portableaudioworld page eh, absolutely fabulous work he does.....

Anyway, I'l look into this Bluebird but we are currently looking at another amp for about $30, (very early days yet)

Cheers guys. *zooms off to another part of the Internet*

beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #2,154 of 3,325
Amazing pictures on that PAW page for sure! I see there is a Swedish guy trying to incorporate the same style of top notch audio pr0n, but he can't touch the masters work. :wink:

New amps... Share the wealth Uncle, inquiring minds need to drool over new toys.
:beerchug:

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #2,155 of 3,325
Amazing pictures on that PAW page for sure! I see there is a Swedish guy trying to incorporate the same style of top notch audio pr0n, but he can't touch the masters work. :wink:

New amps... Share the wealth Uncle, inquiring minds need to drool over new toys.
:beerchug:

Haha, PAW!

I'll send you a msg about the amp.

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #2,156 of 3,325
I'm  currently using a Zip+ with DT770pro (yes, the 250ohm ones) as my portable setup. Works for me and despite the impedance it's loud enough.

I've got one of those phases right now when I'm wondering if I want to upgrade a bit. Main music I listen to is classical and opera. Anyone here use the C3 a lot for that kind of music?

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #2,157 of 3,325
  I'm  currently using a Zip+ with DT770pro (yes, the 250ohm ones) as my portable setup. Works for me and despite the impedance it's loud enough.

I've got one of those phases right now when I'm wondering if I want to upgrade a bit. Main music I listen to is classical and opera. Anyone here use the C3 a lot for that kind of music?

Yeah, the c3 has about the same power as the zip, just a hair less. Otherwise, the biggest difference is that the c3 is a bit more neutral, has better separation and overall is more detailed and airy sounding, so yeah, the c3 is better for classical music IMO. The zip sounds busy and somewhat congested next to the c3 - it's still a decent player but not on par with the c3 sound-wise.
Of course, as it has been said many times in this thread, you'll be sacrificing the hardware buttons for touch and the possibility to downsample the music, so anything above 16bit/48khz in flac and 24bit/48khz in wav will have to be converted or the c3 won't be able to play it but at least it can output 24bit unlike the zip. Also you'll have to forget about the numerous rockbox options as the c3 provides the bare minimum - EQ presets and playback by folder. 

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #2,158 of 3,325
Thanks for the response.

I don't think my hearing is good enough to tell te difference between high bitrate flac and somewhat lower but yes, it's something to consider. I'd forgotten about that.

As to the other rockbox options, I don;t use all that much except play, pause and resume.

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #2,159 of 3,325
  Thanks for the response.

I don't think my hearing is good enough to tell te difference between high bitrate flac and somewhat lower but yes, it's something to consider. I'd forgotten about that.

As to the other rockbox options, I don;t use all that much except play, pause and resume.

Well, I'm just reminding you coz often people come here with questions about files that won't play on the c3. Otherwise, if you think that you only need play and pause and you can manage with the touch controls, to play files only by folder, the limited UI and the little screen then you should be fine coz the  c3 does sound great.
And just for reference on how small the screen is coz people are often surprised 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back