Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Sep 25, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #2,206 of 3,325
I just got my C3 along with a nice pouch and some dubious cables and adapters.
I didn't really understand what people meant by saying the sound was more airy, but while listening I'm fairly sure what people were talking about. 
My sd-card already had a nice folder structure so that part is no problem at all, on the clip+ I used folders as playlists anyway since I found it to be too fiddly to create without that.
I stumbled across the lock function on accident, but it seems nicely implemented. A switch would have been nicer of course, but I've had problems with the switch breaking while being locked, so I'm open to having it in software instead.
It's pretty much what I need of a player nowadays. I've heard that the shuffle isn't that good, but when the file order is scrambled it's about the same in my book.

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #2,207 of 3,325
  I just got my C3 along with a nice pouch and some dubious cables and adapters.
I didn't really understand what people meant by saying the sound was more airy, but while listening I'm fairly sure what people were talking about. 
My sd-card already had a nice folder structure so that part is no problem at all, on the clip+ I used folders as playlists anyway since I found it to be too fiddly to create without that.
I stumbled across the lock function on accident, but it seems nicely implemented. A switch would have been nicer of course, but I've had problems with the switch breaking while being locked, so I'm open to having it in software instead.
It's pretty much what I need of a player nowadays. I've heard that the shuffle isn't that good, but when the file order is scrambled it's about the same in my book.

That's great! What are you using them with? 

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #2,209 of 3,325
Right now I've only used it directly connected to my ATH-M50x, trying out my Fiio E5 between as a placeholder until I get something better.

I remember rightly M50 sounds fairly good from C3, haven't heard M50x . I'll tell you what, I had an FIiO E06 arrive today and for its price I'm very pleased. If you want to take a small step up Its rather capable little amp.

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #2,210 of 3,325
I'm not a big fan of the E5 and E6. I'll rather go with something that stacks better with the c3 and stacks better with it like E11 or maybe the new E11K. Also interested to see how that new Brainwavz amp will turn out.

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #2,211 of 3,325
The E11K pairs very nicely with the C3 as well, it's a smidgen on the dark side of neutral.
The bass boost is not as pronounced as the old E11's was and it enhances sub bass as opposed to mid bass.

If you are going to put it in a pouch or case then you will need some extender cables as FiiO thought it would be a great idea to put the I/O jacks on the opposite side of the volume control.

Chinese ingenuity never ceases to amaze me... Pure Genius... 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 25, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #2,213 of 3,325
My friend has a E6, should try that out sometime then. Although I was actually looking at the E11 since people seem to say it's better and more upgradeable. Since it's not much more to pay I feel it's better of a deal.

EDIT: Woops, taking too long to write and tons of new replies!

Sep 25, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #2,214 of 3,325
The E11K pairs very nicely with the C3 as well, it's a smidgen on the dark side of neutral.
The bass boost is not as pronounced as the old E11's was and it enhances sub bass as opposed to mid bass.

If you are going to put it in a pouch or case then you will need some extender cables as FiiO thought it would be a great idea to put the I/O jacks on the opposite side of the volume control.

Chinese ingenuity never ceases to amaze me... Pure Genius... :rolleyes:  

So you think it's ok hey , do you find much improvement overall from E11? E11K is priced quite sensibly but I'm rather fond of the E06 (which I strap to Kogan) seems to be the cleanest of the FIiO amps I've heard. My C3 will be used with my Fidue A83 once they arrive straight from headphone out so
C3 has assigned duties ahead for quite a while. But... Members are reporting good results E11K / DX50 so it might be an option.

Sep 25, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #2,215 of 3,325
So you think it's ok hey , do you find much improvement overall from E11? E11K is priced quite sensibly but I'm rather fond of the E06 (which I strap to Kogan) seems to be the cleanest of the FIiO amps I've heard. My C3 will be used with my Fidue A83 once they arrive straight from headphone out so
C3 has assigned duties ahead for quite a while. But... Members are reporting good results E11K / DX50 so it might be an option.

Yes I find it much cleaner than the old E11, you can also use it while it is charging with no noise.

It's the implementation that grinds my gears, or maybe I am just too picky.
wink.gif

1. Jacks in the Back (Great for a desktop amp...)
  2. Undampened Volume Control (Way too easy to turn.)
  3. Front non recessed Gain Switch (If you have the volume up past half way on low gain and switch it to high by accident you'll be in for a deafening surprise as the gain goes from -3dB to +11dB.)
  4. Case is not flat, it's curved so you will need 3M Bumpon's or a foam piece to level it.

If you can overlook those little oddities, then the sound is great. I find the C3 can't quite drive the Brainwavz B3's and the E11K on high gain works like a charm.  

Sep 25, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #2,217 of 3,325
  Yes I find it much cleaner than the old E11, you can also use it while it is charging with no noise.

It's the implementation that grinds my gears, or maybe I am just too picky.
wink.gif

1. Jacks in the Back (Great for a desktop amp...)
  2. Undampened Volume Control (Way too easy to turn.)
  3. Front non recessed Gain Switch (If you have the volume up past half way on low gain and switch it to high by accident you'll be in for a deafening surprise as the gain goes from -3dB to +11dB.)
  4. Case is not flat, it's curved so you will need 3M Bumpon's or a foam piece to level it.

If you can overlook those little oddities, then the sound is great. I find the C3 can't quite drive the Brainwavz B3's and the E11K on high gain works like a charm.  

Sounds awesome. 
biggrin.gif

Though for a DX50 combination it might work quite well as I can have the E11K volume pot sticking out the top while the line out on DX50 is on the bottom. I don't use dual lock , always amp bands so the entire curve issue won't effect me.I can get E11K for $79 AUD so maybe after this Fidue purchase and the wallet clears some air. Mostly it's because I'm curious and like to gain the expereince, but the E06 has given a fresh breath of air for me and FiiO in general.

I can see an X1 / E11K rig here in the foreseeable future. FiiO for life. 
devil_face.gif
 C3 / Fidue A83 sounds awesome, really good on it's own.

Though honestly,. these last few days I just kick back with a Clip+ and those Crossfades you saw me flashing around. Can't be stuffed eh. lol. 
tongue.gif

Sep 25, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #2,218 of 3,325

Chinese ingenuity never ceases to amaze me... Pure Genius... 
rolleyes.gif

Well, with the C3 it is pure genius. Why would one want to have all the cable surrounding the volume pot? It gets cumbersome to use the volume pot and both the input and output with other amps will stack at the bottom of the c3 anyway. Now you have the cables on the bottom and the volume pot on its own and easy to use at the top. If you constantly keep the stack in your pocket and constantly change the volume then you might not be so keen on the solution but for me the E11K's design is much better.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2,219 of 3,325
The old E11 was never that cumbersome with the cables on top near the volume control...

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #2,220 of 3,325
 Quick question, I lost 3 of the 4 screws on the back of my colorfly c3. Would anybody know where to get replacement screws? I know its T6 torx (M2) screws, the lenght I can measure, but I can't tell what the pitch is?
Any help would be appreciated :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back