Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Oct 11, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #2,236 of 3,325
I hope they make this affordable! I love colorfly sound...

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #2,237 of 3,325
I hope they make this affordable! I love colorfly sound...

I don't think so sadly, it's supposedly an upgrade from their previous C4.

I do however wish for Colorfly to make an upgrade from C3 which is affordable in the future. With the amount of DAPs hitting the market this year there's some stiff competition, FiiO have all their bases covered and soon with X7 another one. Then you have the likes of iBasso binging out a new flagship next year filling their space. The problem is Astell & Kern set a completely new level of pricing  for high end DAPs, what we're seeing is other companies (Cowon, Calyx etc)  following suit (if people will pay they will charge it). My guess is that Colorfly player you were looking at last page will be $1k+

I do wonder if Colorfly will see any potential sales bringing out a DAP in the $200-$300 bracket.

We do know their C3 while with quirks has been quite successful, so there's plenty of interest.

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #2,238 of 3,325
Hi, I consider buying the Colorfly C3.
1) What is the max sd card capacity?
2) When a track ends and it's continuing to the next-Is there a little pause? Because i am using it for classical music where tracks are joined together. And if i rockbox it will it change?
3) Is the sound quality neutral, natural and balanced (for orchestral music)?

Thanks

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #2,239 of 3,325
1) 32GB - I know, bummer
2) No idea
3) The sound is simply stunning
I use the rock preset but the sound us naturally very neutral: everything sounds great , but don't expect heavy bass
Also it can't drive oem's without an amplifier-I use the c&c bh2
I have the Fiio x5 & x1 but I still prefer the C3.

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #2,241 of 3,325
1) 32GB - I know, bummer
2) No idea
3) The sound is simply stunning
I use the rock preset but the sound us naturally very neutral: everything sounds great , but don't expect heavy bass
Also it can't drive oem's without an amplifier-I use the c&c bh2
I have the Fiio x5 & x1 but I still prefer the C3.

Thanks. Will it drive my ATH-M40X without an amp? And also does somebody else know if there is a little pause between tracks? And is there another DAP i should consider?

C3 will take 64gb cards formatted to FAT32 (possibly 128GB cards)

No gapless

Yes, it sounds neutral, clean, particularly strong in soundstage and instrument separation.

Yes, it will drive those headphones.

I would also take a look at FiiO X1 which can be found around the same price and sounds very good.

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #2,242 of 3,325
Thanks. By no gapples you mean there is a gap? And is it noticeable or really minor?
I really want to buy a sandisk 128GB sd card. Is formatting the card easy and will 128GB work for sure?
And besides the Fiio X1, Are there some other DAPs you think will fit my needs? It might be more expensive, but not very

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #2,243 of 3,325
  Thanks. By no gapples you mean there is a gap? And is it noticeable or really minor?
I really want to buy a sandisk 128GB sd card. Is formatting the card easy and will 128GB work for sure?
And besides the Fiio X1, Are there some other DAPs you think will fit my needs? It might be more expensive, but not very

Yes, there is a gap between songs (always), C3 doesn't support gapless playback. It's a decent gap with a subtle 'click' noise inbetween tracks

I don't see any reason why a 128gb card will not work, if a 64gb card works formatted to FAT32 I really don't see why not. Formatting the card is a 30 second process with a program found online (we can help you with that)

You could also consider iBasso DX50 or Fiio X3 but they both don't sound neutral as C3. DX50 sounds rather digtal and a little bright, X3 warm. X1 supports gapless and everything you require. I think for your situation its the best option. Also has more power than C3 and better evolved user interface.

I still love my C3 though.

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #2,245 of 3,325
  I got the impression that FiiO X1 doesn't sound neutral but colored. Is it right? And could you please explain what formatting to FAT32 does? Thank you so much!

When you purchase a 64gb or 128gb card they're not formatted in a language C3 (and many other DAPs) understand, unlike up to 32gb cards.

So we use a program to quickly format them to FAT32 then the players can read the cards.

(all you want to read is the first paragraph in this link bookmark it)

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

X1 is a little warm but honestly, it sounds more than fine. I see you made a post in the X1 thread, let some others reassure you. =)

Goodluck

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #2,246 of 3,325
Please help my find my perfect DAP! Let me sum up my requirments:
1) Neutral, Natural balanced sound for classical music, To use with my ATH-M40X.
2) Gapless-No gap between tracks.
3) Supports 64GB/128GB sd with formatting or without-Preferably without track number limit.
4) Max price is 350$-Preferably less. Expensive only if it really makes a difference.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #2,247 of 3,325
  Please help my find my perfect DAP! Let me sum up my requirments:
1) Neutral, Natural balanced sound for classical music, To use with my ATH-M40X.
2) Gapless-No gap between tracks.
3) Supports 64GB/128GB sd with formatting or without-Preferably without track number limit.
4) Max price is 350$-Preferably less. Expensive only if it really makes a difference.

Fiio X3 fits your requirement and budget 
gs1000.gif

X3 sounds better than DX50 (for me), but DX50 has a 2.4 inch touchscreen for small hands

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #2,249 of 3,325
  Thanks. Is the FiiO X3 neutral enough for classical music? Iv'e heard it's warm and colored. I want a natural sound..

It should be neutral enough

You are right, Fiio players tend to be on the warm side of things (becoz of the way they calibrate the sound).
I wanted to suggest the Hidizs AP100 to you because the Cirus Logic chip sounds best with Classical, but it lacks a gapless playback.

C3 is very neutral, but it will not drive your headphone (WELL), unless you're double amping the signal. In the end, the response curve is still not flat.

Your best bet now, is to shell out a little more for the DX90 or get the X3 which fits all your requirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back