Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Mar 26, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #3,076 of 3,325
  Let's say you are happy with your C3 and you have money to burn, between another DAP and a Headphone, I suggest you should go for a Headphone.

A higher grade, good quality Headphone that synergize well, will make a bigger impact and greater difference than an expensive DAP.

And btw, I'm only a cheap fi and my money will never go into buying any TOTL (and expensive) products.
However, I do appreciate good music and quality sound.

If you are able to spend more time on head-fi going through a few threads here, you will find that there are some good reasonable quality products that is worth getting. As always, have an audition first whenever possible. And don't follow the hype and buy blindly. 

I'm confused now. As you know, most people are happy with an average sound experience from their portables. I know I'm on Headfi, but I think I just need a bit above average experience. I found that with the C3 and KSC75. However, finding an IEM to give me that same experience, would be nice. Some people say I'd be spending $200. for that kind of sound. However, I don't plan on ever doing that until I can audition the headphones first.

So, like me and you, we're both stuck to affordable Chifi's. I don't mind dropping $10 or $20 here and there.

PS: I have a feeling, my ears might forget about Chifi and just listen to the KSC75's. I love how ugly they are.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #3,077 of 3,325
I'm not making assumptions here, but in my years of experience something quite significant seems to be happening across most IEM users, they're not using them right. I have had to sit down and spend 1hr of solid testing with a billion various tips and insertion methods for my wife to finally get it right, and when she did her face lit up. Literally saying things like "I've never heard my music sound this good... ever!".
Longer distant friends I can't do that level of hand holding, so I try and advise best through email, IM and phone calls, but normally it can take a few months before they penny drops, they found the right tip, achieved proper seal and voila the IEM epiphany occurs.

Normally ever user reports the best sound quality from a triple flange tip, which are seldom supplied. Indeed even 'lachlanlikesathing' youtube channel was praising a Etymotic IEM the other day, but really I feel as tho he was really just enjoying the triple flange experience (because he had to as that's what Etymotic supply). If he were to triple flange his sony's and anything else he had I think he would be blown away by that also.

But taking a rookie and trying to get them to insert triple flange day one is tough. It can be extremely uncomfortable, and they often have the IEM steered the wrong way in etc, nonetheless tho it is my opinion that all IEM users should be working towards this type of tip/seal to derive the maximum from an IEM.

The amount of people I have come across who are looking for a new IEM, pay $100-200 for a pair, are extremely unimpressed (often 'bass lacking' being the number one statement), it's clear every single nubie is treating them like an earbud and in no way braving the proper insertion required.

I have IEMs ranging from $30-$600, with higher priced IEMs comes more comfort, imaging, separation and staging, but bargains can be had in the budget category too. It is my opinion more needs to be talked about on educating the rookie owners on tips, insertion and patience in learning to break their ear canals in.

So before you cast the IEM out, hold onto them, do some more research, try a bunch more tips because when the epiphany drops it's always worth the effort.

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #3,079 of 3,325
This whole trying to find a good pair of IEMs for the C3 is stressing me out. It seems to me like the C3 is a pickier music player. I should have just bought a Shanling M1 or something... I'd like to find a good IEM so people don't have to hear music from my KSC75's.

I'm selling my whole ear bud collection as they mainly don't even work with the C3. This thing is a great but a picky machine... I'm glad I didn't stick to the Benjie S5 though, the sound quality isn't the 'best'. C3 is.

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #3,080 of 3,325
   you can use it on its own but it's not particularly powerful and  harder to drive IEM's like the havi b3 will defo need an amp.  you said you already got topping nx1 which is a perfect match for the colorfly c3.

I won't be amping my C3 as it's too heavy for portable use. I'm sorry to hear it doesn't like B3's, they are very affordable at $63. U.S.

PS: A Penon review says they have a recessed mid sound signature. I don't like that!

Mar 26, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #3,081 of 3,325
I like Soundmagic E10 with C3 very much. Sound signature is very pleasant. On warmer side of neutral but it's clear and detailed. Best thing of E10 is soundstage which is probably one of the best under 50$ iems. It's pretty wide with great imaging, doesn't feel claustrophobic at all. But take this as grain of salt. If you're into brighter signature as ksc75 then E10 might not be for you.

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #3,082 of 3,325
If you're into brighter signature as ksc75 then E10 might not be for you.

The E10 does sound pretty amazing in terms of how you talk about it. I guess you're right about the 75's being bright, but honestly, the quality of sound is so good, that I don't even really notice. I'm glad they're only $26 in my country. I honestly don't even need any other headphones. Buying more is just wasting money, but what we do... we buy more. :frowning2:

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #3,083 of 3,325
Indeed. I won't be buying any expensive headphones for my C3. I just found the KSC75's, those are my high-end headphones! :) Can you tell I'm a frugal budget friendly kind of guy?

Luckily, I'm not a guy that needs bells and whistles from a music player, maybe from a woman, but not a DAP. I think you're right, I'll need a 'better DAP' soon, but no idea when that day will come. My C3 with my KOSS KSC75's is a magical high-end stereo experience.

I'm coming from a Sansa Clip+ and $10 headphones, and this $100.00 C3 setup sounds as good as most home stereos. With some recordings it even feels like I'm watching the band live.

I'm down to earth, I don't need anything better. :wink: But I can dream and imagine what the sound quality is like.

So you are saying c3 is better than clip+?

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #3,084 of 3,325

Regarding sound quality most definitely, when it comes to features and functionality, not so much.

I came from an iPod nano 2nd & 3rd gen to the Clip+, then to the C3 and finally to the FiiO X3. I still use my C3 quite often, but gave away the Clip+ and iPod's.

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #3,085 of 3,325

No offense, but that's a really bad question. :wink: You'll figure out why after you buy a C3. I'm 40 years old and I've never owned a portable music player as good as the C3! It's only $50.00 U.S.! Go buy it now!

PS: But, only if you can't afford a $150.00 U.S. music player.

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #3,086 of 3,325
My AWEI ES10 earbuds are incredible on the C3, but they sound grainy and vintage but still quite amazing and involving. On the Benjie S5, they are clear and outstanding. I am confused why they sound grainy on a high end player.

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #3,087 of 3,325
  Regarding sound quality most definitely, when it comes to features and functionality, not so much.

I came from an iPod nano 2nd & 3rd gen to the Clip+, then to the C3 and finally to the FiiO X3. I still use my C3 quite often, but gave away the Clip+ and iPod's.

You didn't give me no iPods
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #3,089 of 3,325
  Does anyone know how to find the EQ in the settings or how much the battery is charged? I thought you guys saying the UI was a joke was a joke, it's actually not. Even the manual doesn't explain it well.

When a song is being played, long press the menu button. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back