Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Mar 9, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #3,046 of 3,325

OK, you enticed me and I have a brand new BB U3 in red
wink_face.gif
Going to be hard to unhook the XQ-10 as I'm loving it with the C3
biggrin.gif

Hey man......the reason why i choosed BB U3.6 over others BB amps was the high/low gain button switch right next to the volume knob at the top of BB....
In low gain mode with all IEMS used DUNUS FIDUES LZ A4 etch... the transparency and clearance of the sound is just unbelievable....
Got a MUSES02 dac chip also in order the upgrade BB original op amp...

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #3,047 of 3,325
First impressions;

I just got my C3 in the mail, played it out of the box without charging (empty battery?), and without being burned in and my Benjie S5 "sounds better". However, the overall clarity on the C3 is much better. I find the C3 also sharp sounding, I hope it tones down after being charged and being burned in or I may have to sell it and stick with the Benjie S5 which doesn't have that sharp sound. I also found the power of the sound to be lacking, like I wanted more like what I hear on the S5.

The UI is also terrible... it might be a deal breaker for many.

Tested with HE150 ohm ear buds.

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #3,048 of 3,325
  First impressions;

I just got my C3 in the mail, played it out of the box without charging (empty battery?), and without being burned in and my Benjie S5 "sounds better". However, the overall clarity on the C3 is much better. I find the C3 also sharp sounding, I hope it tones down after being charged and being burned in or I may have to sell it and stick with the Benjie S5 which doesn't have that sharp sound. I also found the power of the sound to be lacking, like I wanted more like what I hear on the S5.

The UI is also terrible... it might be a deal breaker for many.

Tested with HE150 ohm ear buds.

The UI is extremely spartan and has been an issue for some people since this thread started 4 1/2 years ago. It is quite functional though, select a folder and hit play.  The C3 is also a neutral sounding player with low output and useless EQ settings. Most users run the C3 with an external amp or use IEM's that pair well with it, I regularly run the Rock Jaw Kommand or Brainwavz R3's with mine.

Way back when this thread was very active, the C3 was the best sounding, most affordable DAP on the market. The C3 is quite dated these days and not for everyone. I don't believe in semiconductor burn in but YMMV and it might work out for you.

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #3,049 of 3,325

It is quite functional though, select a folder and hit play. Most users run the C3 with an external amp or use IEM's that pair well with it, I regularly run the Rock Jaw Kommand or Brainwavz R3's with mine.

Way back when this thread was very active, the C3 was the best sounding, most affordable DAP on the market. The C3 is quite dated these days and not for everyone. I don't believe in semiconductor burn in but YMMV and it might work out for you.

I haven't tried any IEMs with mine yet, but I felt a weird sense that when I played it with my HE150's that it might not like them. It was lacking power unfortunately. It sounds like IEM's are the right fit for the player with their ability to push sound down a tunnel.

I think I'm dated for buying the C3. :wink: I should have ponied up more for the Shanling M1 but I like to try lower priced products first. I hope I didn't get burned.

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #3,050 of 3,325
After playing with the C3 a little bit, the bad UI is a bit exaggerated... it's decent. It's just awkward.

However, after comparing my Benjie S5 to my C3, the S5 actually has "better" sound quality. 

Why? There is some kind of high pitch noise (treble?) on the C3. 

Tested with only: HE 150 Ohm Headphones.

PS: I wish I didn't buy the $50 US Colorfly C3 now, the Benje S5 at half the price is a better value!

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #3,051 of 3,325
After playing with the C3 a little bit, the bad UI is a bit exaggerated... it's decent. It's just awkward.

However, after comparing my Benjie S5 to my C3, the S5 actually has "better" sound quality. 

PS: I wish I didn't buy the $50 US Colorfly C3 now, the Benje S5 at half the price is a better value!

I originally bought my C3 for 100€ and I'm still using it. I have S5 aswell but I'm not really attracted by it. It does sound good but I don't like its volume steps as they're too big for sensitive iems. Colorfly sounds still amazing, I don't know what is the high pitch noise you're talking about, but 150ohm is probably too much for C3 anyway, if that causes something. I've thought about buying HE150 earbuds actually, I wonder are they still available.

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #3,052 of 3,325

That's really too bad.

I wouldn't judge the sound quality of the C3 solely on a pair of high impedance $15 ear buds... BP's review of the HE150 claim that they do come alive with a little power behind them, the C3 probably doesn't provide power they might require. This is why we amp the C3 or use IEM's that pair well with it.

Easy to sell the C3 in the Classifieds, so you won't be out too much money.

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #3,053 of 3,325
I have S5 aswell but I'm not really attracted by it. It does sound good but I don't like its volume steps as they're too big for sensitive iems. Colorfly sounds still amazing, I don't know what is the high pitch noise you're talking about, but 150ohm is probably too much for C3 anyway, if that causes something. I've thought about buying HE150 earbuds actually, I wonder are they still available.

Colorful does sound amazing... I'm hoping with other ear buds that the sound will get better or wth time... I was just posting my first opinions switching between the players with the same ear buds, which sound pretty fantastic! 

PS: However, they aren't perfect. You know how some earbuds have the same strength of sound all the wall through? The HE 150 ohm doesn't seem to do that.

You can buy them at Penon Audio: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/HE-150ohm-L-shaped-plug-HiFi-Earbuds-Earphone/1994049_32761965304.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.3DaLaZ

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #3,054 of 3,325
  I wouldn't judge the sound quality of the C3 solely on a pair of high impedance $15 ear buds... BP's review of the HE150 claim that they do come alive with a little power behind them, the C3 probably doesn't provide power they might require. This is why we amp the C3 or use IEM's that pair well with it.

Easy to sell the C3 in the Classifieds, so you won't be out too much money.

My apologies I was just posting my first opinions of the first day of ownership. I probably jumped the gun too quick and should have waited 7 days or tried other ear buds.

PS: I hope I won't have to sell the C3... I have a whole slew of headphones, so I'll try each other before I make my decision. 

PPS: There are a lot of flaws with these Chifi headphones. It seems that American owned companies make headphones have the same strength of sound all the way through, but most Chinese companies don't... :frowning2:

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #3,055 of 3,325
Colorful does sound amazing... I'm hoping with other ear buds that the sound will get better or wth time... I was just posting my first opinions switching between the players with the same ear buds, which sound pretty fantastic! 

PS: However, they aren't perfect. You know how some earbuds have the same strength of sound all the wall through? The HE 150 ohm doesn't seem to do that.

You can buy them at Penon Audio: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/HE-150ohm-L-shaped-plug-HiFi-Earbuds-Earphone/1994049_32761965304.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.3DaLaZ

Thanks for link, I might order HE150 soon. Some phones, iems and buds can be picky with their source, especially high impedance ones. Topping NX1 is great budget headphone amp that stacks well with C3, that can help alot with HE150. Or might aswell be that synergies won't match even then, I shall see it myself if I get HE150.

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #3,056 of 3,325
Thanks for link, I might order HE150 soon. Some phones, iems and buds can be picky with their source, especially high impedance ones. Topping NX1 is great budget headphone amp that stacks well with C3, that can help alot with HE150. Or might aswell be that synergies won't match even then, I shall see it myself if I get HE150.

I should let you know I don't have a vast array of knowledge with earbuds, so maybe wait for a more expert opinion. However, if someone doesn't have any ear buds, I think the HE 150 is an excellent first/second choice! I have a NX1A, I will try and use it soon with the C3.

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #3,057 of 3,325
  I wouldn't judge the sound quality of the C3 solely on a pair of high impedance $15 ear buds... BP's review of the HE150 claim that they do come alive with a little power behind them, the C3 probably doesn't provide the power they might require. This is why we amp the C3 or use IEM's that pair well with it.

I think you're right; it seems like the C3 doesn't like cheap earbuds... The sound is higher quality and more immersive with high-quality headphones with the C3 than the S5. But I get a high pitched noise/maybe treble sound with cheaper earphones on the C3 only. I'm currently using the Sennheiser HD219 on ears that I got for $20. It sounds pretty dang good. I don't hear that high pitched noise anymore. That's a relief. 

But it's also a disappointment since I spent $200+ on cheap headphones. No wonder I'm always broke. I'm addicted. Not anymore if they won't even work with the C3.

I swear the C3 sounds better than a portable CD player with average headphones.

I think the S5 might be warmer sounding, though, it probably rolls off the high frequencies. But it doesn't showcase the music as well as the C3. It probably deletes some of the musical sounds because it can't handle it.

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #3,060 of 3,325
  I won't be amping my C3, it'd be too heavy. The C3 is even heavier than the NX1A.

However good the C3 sounds with the NX1 I can't tell the difference in the NX1 on mine and what I now run with it (Xduoo XQ-10) at just a little over half the NX1's weight
wink_face.gif
This here is an $80 short stack that drives just about everything I've thrown at it sub 600Ohm
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back