Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Mar 20, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #3,061 of 3,325

However good the C3 sounds with the NX1 I can't tell the difference in the NX1 on mine and what I now run with it (Xduoo XQ-10) at just a little over half the NX1's weight
wink_face.gif
This here is an $80 short stack that drives just about everything I've thrown at it sub 600Ohm
bigsmile_face.gif

Are you saying the XQ-10 makes the sound better on the C3? Cool. I wish I bought that one. I didn't notice any difference with the NX1A, like you.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #3,062 of 3,325
  Are you saying the XQ-10 makes the sound better on the C3? Cool. I wish I bought that one. I didn't notice any difference with the NX1A, like you.

What I'm saying is I (keep that part in mind) can hear a richer and fuller low end output from the XQ as well as my Topping NX1 (I'm not sure exactly what an NX1A is unless Topping has released an "A" version of the NX1? Some may not tell any difference at all but like @TrollDragon mentioned in his post the C3 low end can be enhanced via the power boost of an external amp. If you did not notice a difference in the NX1A you may not hear a difference with a XQ. Honestly for most efficient iem's the C3 has enough to power them to very enjoyable levels for me
wink_face.gif
YMMV

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #3,063 of 3,325

What I'm saying is I (keep that part in mind) can hear a richer and fuller low end output from the XQ as well as my Topping NX1 (I'm not sure exactly what an NX1A is unless Topping has released an "A" version of the NX1? Some may not tell any difference at all but like @TrollDragon mentioned in his post the C3 low end can be enhanced via the power boost of an external amp. If you did not notice a difference in the NX1A you may not hear a difference with a XQ. Honestly for most efficient iem's the C3 has enough to power them to very enjoyable levels for me
wink_face.gif
YMMV

NX1A is newer revision, claims to have 100 hrs battery life, other than that essentially the same. i found the XQ doesnt have as much power as the Topping amp. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #3,064 of 3,325
NX1A is newer revision, claims to have 100 hrs battery life, other than that essentially the same. i found the XQ doesnt have as much power as the Topping amp. 

Cool, NX2 was my last Topping from a few years back:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Guess for the iem's I ran through these two amps I could not tell the power increase in the topping, was happy with the Xduio output and loved that it was/is smaller than the C3:smiley:

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #3,065 of 3,325
I originally bought my C3 for 100€ and I'm still using it. Colorfly sounds still amazing,

It does sound great. I bought mine for half that price recently. :wink:

Have you auditioned the C3 against more expensive players?

I wonder if those players would be a waste of money since the C3 sounds that good already, when paired with a good pair of headphones. I mean, Would the sound in a more expensive player be maybe 25% better? Probably not worth it, right?

*** Other than KOSS KSC75 ear clip headphones, What are some other perfectly matched ones for the C3.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #3,066 of 3,325

I wonder if those players would be a waste of money since the C3 sounds that good already, when paired with a good pair of headphones. I mean, Would the sound in a more expensive player be maybe 25% better? Probably not worth it, right?

*** Other than KOSS KSC75 ear clip headphones, What are some other perfectly matched ones for the C3.

My DAP knowledge is very limited, I haven't heard any more expensive players so I can't say. I could say if I were to upgrade DAP from C3, my target would be at least on par SQ, better functionality and OS. But actually what I miss most on C3 functionality is auto-resume and auto-power off, which could both be added via firmware upgrade, but that won't happen. My portable IEM and headphone preference on C3, are Soundmagic E10 and Sennheiser PX100-II.

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #3,067 of 3,325
  My portable IEM and headphone preference on C3, are Soundmagic E10 and Sennheiser PX100-II.

It's too bad those E10's are so expensive. $30 US is $40 Canadian. I'll let you if I find any decent affordable headphones, but I'm sure you'll be happy with yours for months and possibly years.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #3,068 of 3,325

I've owned quite a few DAPs in my time, some pretty pricey some not. What yer talking about is the law of diminishing returns, you spend 10x as much for only 10% increase in sound quality (quite often the same for headphones as well as sources), so in the end it all depends on you and your wallet.

The C3 is quite neutral sounding, low hiss, but pretty heavy and relatively low in power for the size and weight. It's UI is incredibly basic to the point that it's almost a screenless DAP with just the added functionality of getting to a specific folder faster than what you might manage on a screenless DAP.

It's EQ options are a joke for the release period it had, notice how when applying the changes the volume also drops 6db? <sigh>. No custom setting really nerfs it, it basically might as well not have an EQ as it's been so poorly implemented it actually frustrates the user more than perhaps it not being there at all!

My best value DAP would be the Hidizs AP100. It's quite a lot more but then you also get a lot more. More features, power and sound signatures at the expense of a few dollars more and 50g extra weight.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #3,069 of 3,325

DAPs are like cars. The more expensive cars may offer better handling, more roomy, more comfort, more power, etc etc.
But ultimately, the roads/ tracks and type of terrain the cars are used for are what count.
So synergy between Headphones/IEMs and DAPs is what matters.
There is no point getting a TOTL IEM only to find out that it does not pair well with your expensive DAP.

C3 is a fairly good sounding DAP. It is portable, have good battery life and good thing you got it cheap. But it is a 2012 model that does not offer the whistles and bells of newer current crop of DAPs.
In this hobby, you may find yourself needing a few DAPs around in order to compliment different IEMs.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #3,070 of 3,325
DAPs are like cars. The more expensive cars may offer better handling, more roomy, more comfort, more power, etc etc.
But ultimately, the roads/ tracks and type of terrain the cars are used for are what count.
There is no point getting a TOTL IEM only to find out that it does not pair well with your expensive DAP.

C3 is a fairly good sounding DAP. It is portable, have good battery life and good thing you got it cheap. But it is a 2012 model that does not offer the whistles and bells of newer current crop of DAPs.
In this hobby, you may find yourself needing a few DAPs around in order to compliment different IEMs.

Yeah. I collect DAPs as well, as it's kinda nostalgia for me (I was there from the very beginning!).

But I have different DAPs for different occasions. For work I use my PFE 232's and AP100, it's my best performing combo. But if on a night out in the city, for the train commute I will take a cheaper combo (for fear of losing expensive rig on the piss), so something like a Walnut + EPH100's.

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #3,071 of 3,325
Yeah. I collect DAPs as well, as it's kinda nostalgia for me (I was there from the very beginning!).

But I have different DAPs for different occasions. For work I use my PFE 232's and AP100, it's my best performing combo. But if on a night out in the city, for the train commute I will take a cheaper combo (for fear of losing expensive rig on the piss), so something like a Walnut + EPH100's.

Haha, life is too short for any regrets. I would just take with me a AK380 or Andromeda (if I ever own them in my lifetime) where ever I would go. :D

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #3,073 of 3,325

The C3 is quite neutral sounding, low hiss, but pretty heavy and relatively low in power for the size and weight. It's UI is incredibly basic to the point that it's almost a screenless DAP with just the added functionality of getting to a specific folder faster than what you might manage on a screenless DAP.

It's EQ options are a joke for the release period it had, notice how when applying the changes the volume also drops 6db? <sigh>. No custom setting really nerfs it, it basically might as well not have an EQ as it's been so poorly implemented it actually frustrates the user more than perhaps it not being there at all!

My best value DAP would be the Hidizs AP100. It's quite a lot more but then you also get a lot more. More features, power and sound signatures at the expense of a few dollars more and 50g extra weight.

I'm actually in love with the DAP... We're getting married in Las Vegas this weekend. I know there are better players out there, but I'm content with this one. I don't need all the bells and whistles, just amazing sound quality. I think the C3 has it.

I didn't even know the C3 had an equalizer, lol. I just load up a song and push play. I'll check that out. It's sad to hear that it lowers decibels of the sound but maybe that only matters if one is listening with cans.

I could have bought your AP100, but I did a very stupid thing... I bought $200.00 worth of earbuds... due to the hype on this website, only to realize I could do without them all. I'm going to sell them, or try to...

I'm currently listening to my C3 with a pair of MEE Audio RX18P headphones I bought for $10! The sound is greater than some of those earbuds I bought for even higher prices. I think I might just prefer the IEM seal instead of the sound leakage of earbuds.

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #3,074 of 3,325

Indeed. I won't be buying any expensive headphones for my C3. I just found the KSC75's, those are my high-end headphones! :) Can you tell I'm a frugal budget friendly kind of guy?

Luckily, I'm not a guy that needs bells and whistles from a music player, maybe from a woman, but not a DAP. I think you're right, I'll need a 'better DAP' soon, but no idea when that day will come. My C3 with my KOSS KSC75's is a magical high-end stereo experience.

I'm coming from a Sansa Clip+ and $10 headphones, and this $100.00 C3 setup sounds as good as most home stereos. With some recordings it even feels like I'm watching the band live.

I'm down to earth, I don't need anything better. :wink: But I can dream and imagine what the sound quality is like.

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #3,075 of 3,325
  Indeed. I won't be buying any expensive headphones for my C3. I just found the KSC75's, those are my high-end headphones! :) Can you tell I'm a frugal budget friendly kind of guy?

Luckily, I'm not a guy that needs bells and whistles from a music player, maybe from a woman, but not a DAP. I think you're right, I'll need a 'better DAP' soon, but no idea when that day will come. My C3 with my KOSS KSC75's is a magical high-end stereo experience.

I'm coming from a Sansa Clip+ and $10 headphones, and this $100.00 C3 setup sounds as good as most home stereos. With some recordings it even feels like I'm watching the band live.

I'm down to earth, I don't need anything better. :wink: But I can dream and imagine what the sound quality is like.

Let's say you are happy with your C3 and you have money to burn, between another DAP and a Headphone, I suggest you should go for a Headphone.

A higher grade, good quality Headphone that synergize well, will make a bigger impact and greater difference than an expensive DAP.

And btw, I'm only a cheap fi and my money will never go into buying any TOTL (and expensive) products.
However, I do appreciate good music and quality sound.

If you are able to spend more time on head-fi going through a few threads here, you will find that there are some good reasonable quality products that is worth getting. As always, have an audition first whenever possible. And don't follow the hype and buy blindly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back