College students: how do you study?
Sep 14, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #31 of 57
When I get back after classes, I generally set aside a couple of hours to re-write any notes taken. Then at the end of each week, I will re-write all of that weeks notes again. Repeat this every week, and occasionally go through all of the notes I've taken, again re-writing them. Basically just learn through repetition! If you keep at it then exams are so easy, in my first year I managed to get A A B grades without even having to try in the exams, didn't worry about them because I knew the knowledge was there. Second year I wasn't so great as I let this schedule slip and ended up having to cram before exams, which isn't the easy way to do it!

Sep 14, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am just curious how everybody studies, because I know different things work for different people.

I personally use tons and tons of index cards. I use index cards because writing things down helps me study, so I outline whatever I'm reading and everything I need to remember goes on an index card in the from of a question. The other advantages are that I can take the cards with me and study anywhere and I have them to look back on after the class is over. The problem is it takes hours and hours and I end up with so many cards.

Great minds think alike! I used to do the same thing and it got even bigger as I progressed in my studies. Flash cards and regular index cards with key notes were my biggest help.

The only other thing I did was record myself reading the notes out loud. I would play it over and over until I had it all memorized. If I missed something, I would restart the 75 min track all over again. Same way I memorized all my lines for a play.
wink.gif
Best way to memorize when you have over 2,000 lines in a play.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #33 of 57
I tend to read the material and try and understand it (obviously, this only applies to certain subjects). Then, if i have never even looked at the stuff before, i sometimes read, then write it down (in really bad handwriting, and just the main points).

Also, i tend to do as many past papers as I can. But i suppose at uni, this will not really be applicable.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #34 of 57
It really depends on what you aim is, and on what classes. If you want to score well, then 1) write down everything worth remembering (in a summarised format) and memorise. 3 days before first cut, 2 days before second cut, and by the day before you should be able to memorise the whole course in like 15 minutes. This works because exams are really about speed of recall, and knowing what you know and can use to answer questions.

For something like math/physics, also supplement this with practice questions. Then when you memorise, you should also have as part of your summary how to use the info you have written down.

But ALWAYS memorise. (GPA 3.9 at UChicago attests to that)

Having said that, this is not a good system for long-term recall.

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also take handwritten notes on legal pads and condense that onto the cards. If you haven't beep pulled into Pen-Fi (
evil_smiley.gif
you have been warned) a good fountain pen is better than anything. You can write efforlessly for hours and refill when needed if you bring your ink along.

ugh guess what you started
icon10.gif
I have 2 pens and a bottle of ink on their way to my dorm.

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #36 of 57
I guess im one of the few who dont have a system rather I just read a fair bit, both in areas related to my course and other areas of interest (eg: i'm currently reading extensively about Queen Elizabeth).

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #38 of 57
I've nearly completed my Bachelor of Science in Basket Weaving (Media Arts) so college hasn't been especially arduous for me.

My handwriting is quite bad, especially when I have to write quickly so I've been taking notes on a small laptop for the duration of my higher education. I try not to focus on note taking too much though. Instead I just pay attention to the professor and take down the stuff I don't think I will automatically remember in perpetuity.

More often than not, I will look at my notes and any text the day before the test and again immediately before the test. I only have a 3.0 average so I'm not advocating my example. Ideally you should stay fresh on older material over the course of the semester.

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #39 of 57
Quiet Study room (such as the Uni Library) + some ambient music / space rock such as Ash Ra Tempel at very low volume. Ambient music at low volume is proven to help with concentration thus studying and better than total silence. Nature sounds [that don't have high pitched sounds] and white noise also helps.

When studying, you do not want to hear bass.

Breaking down points, separated by lines and highlighting them. I'm a mass highlighter when studying. Using a DAP + earphones helps in this instance as you listen at very low volume to the study music, while blocking out any external sound. I also rewrite my notes alot when studying as well writing down stuff actually does psychologically help you remember, understand and recall information better.

Remember, it's how you study that's more important, not so much how much you study.
Also everyone has different styles to studying that suits them the best. It is finding out what sort of learner you are (aural, visual or practical) and using that and learning what 'routine' suits you best. I took me a long while to learn what suited me.

Also if you don't need the Internet, disconnect yourself to it.
It can be a mass distraction.

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha thats great
biggrin.gif

and just as my wallet was starting to recover

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drink heavily before exams and hope for the best
wink.gif

that sounds like a very tempting idea
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drink heavily before exams and hope for the best
wink.gif

Or you could get stoned! Study high, take the test high... get high grades!
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #43 of 57
Write lots of notes during lectures, writing things down makes you remember them.
Summarize notes and textbook chapters when studying for tests.
DO NOT STUDY NIGHT BEFORE! Study 3 days in advance! If you study the night before, you'll have lots of fun leaving the exam room and a few hours later realizing the answer to the questions. Your brain needs to get things organized, can't pack it full of information and expect to remember right away.

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or you could get stoned! Study high, take the test high... get high grades!
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Meth, is that you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back