College Dormroom HORROR!!
Sep 24, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #31 of 63
yeah everyone i know uses our tunes, prob because a lot of downloading programs are blocked

the only problem now is that 80% of everyones libraries is encoded at 128. I encode mine all at 320 or what I get off the net is VBR Lame. UGhh all those 128 songs sound like crap on my e4c's

Sep 24, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #32 of 63
When i was in college one time I accidentaly left my new THX surround computer speakers on(this is the first altec lansing thx computer speakers 9 years ago). They had a decent 10 inch sub paired with the system. Well I also was playing around with screen savers. I downloaded this one that played the itsy bitsy spider(also had lots of bass). I then left to study for my finals for 10 hours. My screen saver was on and playing almost full blast. When i came back there were a group of people surrounding my door trying to use a credit card to break in because the hall director wouldnt use his key to come in my room. I felt so bad...maybe something like this is in order to fix your neighbor problem lol.

Sep 24, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #33 of 63
Feel lucky that your neighbor is a fan of rap instead of country!! I've nthing against country music, but personaly, I rather that I hear Rap being blasted in these dorms than that. Good thing these dorms are sound proofed pretty well. If not, I wouldnt even be able to think about getting Grados.

Last year, me and my friends pulled off a prank by setting up a video camera and blast **** in the room to see peoples reactions. Most girls would just make annoyed faces and walk away, but dudes would be determined to have a peek inside. It was screwing hilarious.

Sep 24, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #34 of 63
Personally, I am so happy that I'm a college student who can afford the luxury of an apartment. When I lived in a door room, and I experienced this problem, I'd simply walk to the offender's door and say kindly,

"Can you turn the crapty music down, please?"

biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #35 of 63
I still feel sorry for the guys that lived in the suite across the hall from me and my equally loud suitemates freshman year. Me blasting Outkast or techno, my suitemates blasting hardcore punk rock. Barely anyone can get back into the dorms here (VCU - heard of Taylor Behl? I lived in the same dorm) so I moved into an apartment downtown between a homeless shelter and a 24 hour gas station, with the joke being on me! Subwoofer guys and bikers outside every night from 10PM - 4 AM, crazy hobos yelling at each other any time day or night. Now I live in a quiet area except for my loud neighbors on each side.
600smile.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #36 of 63
How can you people be music fans while denying a large bunch of it the very right of being called "real" music? That's like a Nazi claiming to be a people person. Or more accurately, it's like you have a giant ego, so big as to declare what you like "real" and what they like less than valid.

Go ahead and ask the guy to turn his sub down at night, but I don't think you'll get anywhere if you take Aman's advice and barge in saying "turn off the crapty music" as if it's 1957 and you don't understand this new loud, vulgar garbage that kids these days listen to.

If somebody across the hypothetical dorm hall came to me copping the attitude that I need to turn my sub down because my taste in music isn't as refined as theirs, I'd buy an array of 18's place them so they fire directly into the adjoining wall. Maybe the vibrations would shrink his inflated head a bit, to the point where he'd rise to the level of courtesy of a toddler and actually use the "magic word."

My moral is don't be a jerk to people or they will be a jerk right back. And of course there's a side moral, don't have a music superiority complex.

Sep 25, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #37 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
ohhh watch your step, not one headphone for all, not one typeof music for all. Some people who are educated in the rap world know that stylist, non gangster, true MUSIC rap does exist. sometime you jsut have to look a little to find it

If anyone is interested:

Talib Kweli & Hi tek - Reflection Eternal/Train of Thought - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846
Talib Kweli & Mos Def - Black Star - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846
Black On Both Sides - Mos def - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music
Blazing Arrow - Blackalicious - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

First off im a white teenager, with a music preference of rock and rap. I had 50 this, The Game that, Dre here, Eminem there. However out of all the rap i had listened to, the songs that really made me smile (and nod my head
tongue.gif
) were the songs with a sweet beat, and some good lyrical skills (the flow, not the words). In fact, i started to not even really listen to the words, and when i did....."what in the world am i listening to?" F this, F that, female dogs here, female dogs there. Sure everybody listened to it at school, it was at parties, everyone liked it, but i just couldnt help but question the real motive for listening to it, i just couldnt really justify to defend it everytime my "father figure" would get frustrated listening to it.
So it started with Jurrasic 5. Great stuff, in fact that should be added to my list above, all 3 cd's are great http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...402418-6153700 . And i was almost enlightened in a way. The way the beats rolled along with educated, sophisticated lyrics, just blew me away. This is what i had really wanted all this time. Well, a little amazon research, and i found talib, mos def, blackalicious, and i could'nt be happier. Read the reviews, and how those people experienced the same thing that i did.

"This is not an album about the bling, bling, violence, disrespecting women, etc., this is an album enlightening and uplifting the mind while grooving to some hypnotic beats that helps keep the head noddin' "
- Quoted on a review about Talib & Hi-tek in Reflection Eternal

So even though this may be a little off topic, and possibly belonging to the music forum, i could not help but post about works of great rap artists that are shadowed by the rich and fame of mainstream rap.

Also, please anybody that is a die hard 50, Dre, Game, Eminem fan be mad, i respect what they have done, i have many of their albums, i just want to share my musical reformation.

Sep 25, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #38 of 63
I recommend everything TheReds suggested as well. I'm a 15 year old Filipino Catholic and I listen to stuff like MF Doom, Talib Kweli (and Kanye West, I guess) , Atmosphere, and stuff from the Rhymesayers Label.. Check them out.. Oh yeah, and NIA by Blackalicious is good too. Very witty rhymes with a good message.

Sep 25, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #39 of 63
Wow, the eagle is mighty big indeed.
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Factor
How can you people be music fans while denying a large bunch of it the very right of being called "real" music? That's like a Nazi claiming to be a people person. Or more accurately, it's like you have a giant ego, so big as to declare what you like "real" and what they like less than valid.

Go ahead and ask the guy to turn his sub down at night, but I don't think you'll get anywhere if you take Aman's advice and barge in saying "turn off the crapty music" as if it's 1957 and you don't understand this new loud, vulgar garbage that kids these days listen to.

If somebody across the hypothetical dorm hall came to me copping the attitude that I need to turn my sub down because my taste in music isn't as refined as theirs, I'd buy an array of 18's place them so they fire directly into the adjoining wall. Maybe the vibrations would shrink his inflated head a bit, to the point where he'd rise to the level of courtesy of a toddler and actually use the "magic word."

My moral is don't be a jerk to people or they will be a jerk right back. And of course there's a side moral, don't have a music superiority complex.

Sep 25, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #40 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b
How about you make your roommate get some GOOD rap, (MF Doom?
tongue.gif
) and *then* blast it?

Too bad it doesn't exist
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #42 of 63
I had a similar experience during my colleage years. My next door guy would blast his music sometime really late through the night, and I would asked him politely to turn it down a bit so I can study/sleep. He did comply most of the time, but he is a bit goofball so that he would turn it up again in an hour or so.

One day, I justed politely asked him to come over to my room to hear/feel what is like to be in my shoes. Luckily the guy wasn't a complete jerk so he became considerate and only played late during weekend parties.

Sep 25, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #43 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReds
If anyone is interested:

Talib Kweli & Hi tek - Reflection Eternal/Train of Thought - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846
Talib Kweli & Mos Def - Black Star - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846
Black On Both Sides - Mos def - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music
Blazing Arrow - Blackalicious - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

First off im a white teenager, with a music preference of rock and rap. I had 50 this, The Game that, Dre here, Eminem there. However out of all the rap i had listened to, the songs that really made me smile (and nod my head
tongue.gif
) were the songs with a sweet beat, and some good lyrical skills (the flow, not the words). In fact, i started to not even really listen to the words, and when i did....."what in the world am i listening to?" F this, F that, female dogs here, female dogs there. Sure everybody listened to it at school, it was at parties, everyone liked it, but i just couldnt help but question the real motive for listening to it, i just couldnt really justify to defend it everytime my "father figure" would get frustrated listening to it.
So it started with Jurrasic 5. Great stuff, in fact that should be added to my list above, all 3 cd's are great http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...402418-6153700 . And i was almost enlightened in a way. The way the beats rolled along with educated, sophisticated lyrics, just blew me away. This is what i had really wanted all this time. Well, a little amazon research, and i found talib, mos def, blackalicious, and i could'nt be happier. Read the reviews, and how those people experienced the same thing that i did.

"This is not an album about the bling, bling, violence, disrespecting women, etc., this is an album enlightening and uplifting the mind while grooving to some hypnotic beats that helps keep the head noddin' "
- Quoted on a review about Talib & Hi-tek in Reflection Eternal

So even though this may be a little off topic, and possibly belonging to the music forum, i could not help but post about works of great rap artists that are shadowed by the rich and fame of mainstream rap.

Also, please anybody that is a die hard 50, Dre, Game, Eminem fan be mad, i respect what they have done, i have many of their albums, i just want to share my musical reformation.

damn son so quick to post music from these guys, do you also post crazy **** on the okayplayer.com boards too?

well we got similar taste, even tho im not too fond of talib and mos (blackstar). they are just been boring me as rappers, I rather listen to the roots and common.

Sep 25, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #44 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColStripe
Too bad it doesn't exist
smily_headphones1.gif

dont bring hate into this. yeah ill say most rappers are garbage and the genre is close to dead now. but sheeeeit there still plenty of good rappers out there.

but really tho have you ever you dug through the crates of the genre and explored its possibilties?

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #45 of 63
"Close to dead?"

Sure, if by "close to dead" you mean the most popular, influential, profoundly pervasive music in the entire world. If hip-hop is close to dead then what, in 2005, is rock? A rotten corpse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back