College Dormroom HORROR!!
Sep 24, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #16 of 63
haha sry but I am that guy in the room next to you. Sub and tower klipsch so the whole floor can hear me

Sep 24, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #17 of 63
No way! Haha, this thread just got a whole lot better
icon10.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #18 of 63
I would suggest just talking to them and set up some kinda truce or understanding.

taking it straight to a RA is just gonna cause trouble between you and him, even if the problem of the bass is solved

just don't go in there like some kinda of dork, or basically go in there in a way that would make him wanna resent (eff spelling) you and just wanna piss you of even more.

i lived in boarding school for two years. even tho I personally didnt have this problem, my roomate had a killer system. he would turn up the volume on his side of the room and at teh exact opposite of the room (my area) all my stuff would shake, my phone would rattle off the hook, one time the window fell out the wall (good thing it was cheap plastic and fell in a bush).

I personally liked his music for the most part, but others didn't. the music would also shake things up right in the rooms next door, below us and above (i am not exagerting at all, even tho im not sure on to what extent). People would come into the room and ask him to turn it down, he just turned it up. This was also military school, so he obvious couldnt turn it up after 2pm when officers were there. However when people he was cool with ask him to turn it down, he didn't mind.

So its all people skills. Even if no one ever went to an officer about it, im sure if someone did he would get mad about it and he aint the type not to get the last laugh.

Sep 24, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #20 of 63
Everyone in my hall at the dorms were and still are friends, we all hung out, etc. (pretty much the only hall I'd heard of being as good of friends as we were) but regardless...

One day before class I turned my stereo up as loud as it would go and played the theme to Top Gun on loop. Also, my roommate were/are guitarists, I have a Mesa Boogie half-stack and he has a Mesa Boogie 4x10 combo, we pissed off several people (including the RA) when we pushed them into the hall and played a single note over and over and over again... oh and it was dead day.

I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you're good friends with everyone it'll affect, otherwise you might end up with a mysterious broken amp rather than a funny story. Lots of good times were had in that hall.

Sorry, got off topic... new a guy that had the same problem, he just talked to his neighbor and set up a kosher time frame for blasting bass, they got along fine and it all worked out well, the end.

Sep 24, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #21 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
Canalphone will block it for sure.

Noise-cancelling headphone, as far as I know, is effective primarily against constant, ambient noise like a jet engine. Rap is neither constant nor ambient and thus the noise-cancelling can't really do much about it.

Damn noise canselling headphones manufacturers should find a way to make their products cansel rap.For rap can only be classified as noise!

Sep 24, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #22 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadobhuk
Damn noise canselling headphones manufacturers should find a way to make their products cansel rap.For rap can only be classified as noise!

ohhh watch your step, not one headphone for all, not one typeof music for all. Some people who are educated in the rap world know that stylist, non gangster, true MUSIC rap does exist. sometime you jsut have to look a little to find it

Sep 24, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #23 of 63
Adjacent wall? I thought that is what Aura bass shakers were for. 2 should do the job, and be sure to mount them at the most flexible part of the wall panels.

Canal phones will block it out. They also block out harleys without mufflers, even when I have the car windows down.

Rap is a tough thing to endure. I prefer music without words to words without music.

gerG

Sep 24, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #24 of 63
I'd definitely say leave the RA out of it until you talk to the offender first. Get to know him. If you guys get along he's more likely to be understanding. I also agree that turning him on to Head-fi might be a nice tactic. I recommend tempting him to buy the MDR-7506s, RP-DJ1200s, RP-DH1200s, or DT 770s, sorted by price.
cool.gif

Or you could try turning him on to music you like as well. If he's gonna blast music, it might as well be something you can groove to.
icon10.gif

Failing that, then I'd say take it to the RA and hope for the best. If that fails, your best bet is just to get some IEMs and block it out. Most arms races don't end well.

Sep 24, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #25 of 63
I think you should get IEM's regardless. Dorm life is sure to be full of random noise that will generally be the loudest right when you need to study for a mid-term. If you get some IEMs and some decent earplugs you can save yourself a lot of frustration.

Sep 24, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #27 of 63
Canalphones will probably go a long way, but keep in mind that the lower the frequency, the weaker the isolation. At 3+khz etys and earplugs block well over 40db and virtually silence those frequencies, but attenuation drops below 10db as frequencies approach bass and low bass... if its thumping midbass you may be okay, but harmonics/true bass in the few hundred hz area and lower WILL get through still.

jesse

Sep 24, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #29 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I think you should get IEM's regardless. Dorm life is sure to be full of random noise that will generally be the loudest right when you need to study for a mid-term. If you get some IEMs and some decent earplugs you can save yourself a lot of frustration.

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. Have the HD212's. Closed they are, but not that efficient.

All good advice folks, thanks. It's just the first day, and its not quite as bad, stopped after a while (a long while it was). It's just that I had this problem last year, so i was like "oh no not again".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scubasteve87
haha sry but I am that guy in the room next to you. Sub and tower klipsch so the whole floor can hear me

So it was you! Actually i saw your rig in the other thread, how do you haev SPACE for your other school stuff? Haha.

Oh btw, quick question to all college-ppl, is it just my campus, or does everyone use the mytunes/ourtunes software to leech offa itunes LAN sharing. Haha, last year everyone on my floor used mytunes and ended up with about the same music collection.

Sep 24, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #30 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back