College Dormroom HORROR!!
Sep 25, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #46 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Factor
"Close to dead?"

Sure, if by "close to dead" you mean the most popular, influential, profoundly pervasive music in the entire world. If hip-hop is close to dead then what, in 2005, is rock? A rotten corpse?

creatively dead,

yes it is:
popular
influential
world wide

but alot of rappers (or i should say rappers and hip hop producers) arent doing that much with the music any more, and getting popular is mostly based on image on marketing. a huge majority of rap artists need to step up their game.

for every:
OutKast
The Roots
Ludacris

you have another 10 that sound like garbage and are lazy. **** like this is making me sick of rap is going.

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #47 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReds
If anyone is interested:

Talib Kweli & Hi tek - Reflection Eternal/Train of Thought - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846
Talib Kweli & Mos Def - Black Star - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846
Black On Both Sides - Mos def - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music
Blazing Arrow - Blackalicious - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

Alright, I have to step in here too, Talib and Mos Def are good, but Talib has gotten a little soft, especially with his last album

Real Good Stuff:

Deltron 3030-Deltron 3030
Seven's Travels-Atmosphere
Third Eye Vision- Hieroglyphics
Calicomm 2004- Various Artists

Best of the Best:
Masters of the Universe by Binary Star

This album is sooo awesome, can't even begin to describe it, and all they rap about is how gangsters are horrible and that popular rap is fallen off, some of its sentiments might jive with you nay sayers. But, that said, rap still isn't for everyone. I can understand how some people don't like it

Just a quick plug while were on the subject of rapping:
Anyone here the new Paul Wall song called G-code? yeah well it was originally by Ghetto Boys. Just wanted to clear it up. I hate seeing midstream rappers get there **** jacked by some up an coming pop dj and bam its on MTV

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #48 of 63
You can judge a country as "dead" because its economy or government has collapsed, and you can judge an electrical circuit as "dead" because it has shorted and no longer gets electrons where they need to go, but you can't make that claim about a music genre just because it rubs you the wrong way. It's no less nonsensical than someone declaring "blue is dead" because lately they've leaned toward red shades. Creative "life" is a value judgment based on opinion. You have yours, and I have mine as seen in post 11 in that thread, which I just wrote several minutes ago.

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #49 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by fante7
Nobody should have to deal with that. Report your neighbor to the proper administration.

Just what fante said.

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #50 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by 58impala
dont bring hate into this. yeah ill say most rappers are garbage and the genre is close to dead now. but sheeeeit there still plenty of good rappers out there.

but really tho have you ever you dug through the crates of the genre and explored its possibilties?

Well I was around when the genre started and have heard types and forms of rap up until now. I can honestly say I haven't heard any that I've liked, not even close. It's one of the few types of music I can say that about. But, that's why there many styles of music for all people. It's nothing about hate, for me it's about taste.

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #51 of 63
That's all fine and good, but if someone was complaining about some guy across the way blasting rock music way too loud late at night, and then some classical buff showed up and chimed in with "rock sucks," I think it would be easier for you to see why you're not being very helpful at this particular juncture. If you're going to state your opinion in a thread where it has no relevance to the topic, at least package it with a little advice about how to get this undergrad ********* (can I say that here?) to stop being so inconsiderate with his audio rig during late hours. That was the point of the thread. Leave the blanket opinions to the threads that invite blanket opinions, which are plentiful in the Music forum.

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #52 of 63
Ah I see, since you like this music it's ok to post such non-topic stuff like this in the same thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Factor
"Close to dead?"

Sure, if by "close to dead" you mean the most popular, influential, profoundly pervasive music in the entire world. If hip-hop is close to dead then what, in 2005, is rock? A rotten corpse?"

Can't follow your on advice I see.

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #53 of 63
Scuba Steve -
I have all the Atmosphere albums (save for the rare and expensive ones [and I've heard an advance of You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having]) and I'd say their best are Overcast! and Godlovesugly.. Seven's Travels is kinda.. eh. Overcast! is the best by far, imo, since they still had Spawn in the group.

But uh, Doom is still my favorite (used to be Slug until I heard his later albums and they got all emo and weird).. He and DJ Dangermouse are doing a collab as Dangerdoom, it's really good.. Pretty funny too.

But I didn't know Talib, Kanye, Common, Mos and other alt-rappers were so popular here (well, not *that* popular, but I don't see many people pushing Doom like I do.)

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColStripe
Well I was around when the genre started and have heard types and forms of rap up until now. I can honestly say I haven't heard any that I've liked, not even close. It's one of the few types of music I can say that about. But, that's why there many styles of music for all people. It's nothing about hate, for me it's about taste.

ok thats cool with me now. it jsut kinda annoys me when people hate on music they never dug into.

like i dont really like country music, but i have really never looked into it, and see what its all about. so i dont judge. i stay neautral on it

i never really like jazz before untill i took a class on it
theres alot to it
now i like it

but i never really hated on jazz before, just stayed neutral.

Sep 25, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #55 of 63
lol, good little discussion we have going. And very informative also
icon10.gif
. with all these suggestions, i am sorta starting to wish i had the 200 dollars i blew on HF-1's to check out some of these albums! HAhA, well, maybe not, the HF-1's ARE out for only a short time, so i guess the next money i get will be dedicated to music. Unless RSA, Headamp, or somebody else comes out with a limited edition head-fi amp! Peace.

Cheers!

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #56 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b
But I didn't know Talib, Kanye, Common, Mos and other alt-rappers were so popular here (well, not *that* popular, but I don't see many people pushing Doom like I do.)

well as far as talib and mos, mos is good sometimes but talib is boring to me. Common has a nice live show going on with his last two albums for a rapper. also hes a very poetic rapper and that makes up on his other faults. Kanye's string ochaserta (eff spelling) is good too. rhyme wise he's a hit or miss tho.

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #57 of 63
Yeah, when I first copped Late Registration I was blown away by his high-energy production (Touch the Sky), but then on closer inspection of his lyrics, I could only give him credit as a producer. Sure, he doesn't rhyme about the ho's and the ice but he seems to rhyme about the same things.. In the new Blackalicious album, The Craft, the Gift of Gab still has a way better flow, vocab, voice, style and overall better emcee skills.. but he's spitting over Chief Xcel's uninspired beats.. I dunno, I only got "The Beautiful Struggle" by Talib last night, and I've been listening to it, I kinda like what I hear. By the way, I've only heard "The Tipping Point" by the Roots, which I really liked (Web was my favorite song).. Have you listened to Phrenology yet? Is that any good?

Sep 25, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #58 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b
By the way, I've only heard "The Tipping Point" by the Roots, which I really liked (Web was my favorite song).. Have you listened to Phrenology yet? Is that any good?

im a HUGE roots fan

the tipping point is a funny album for it to be your first roots album. all their albums have a different concepts to them. tipping point (ttp) is very bare bones but still very detailed album, phrenology is very experimental and is very something else for the avg rap music fan.

but to me the roots a live band. go check out this show:
http://therootslive.com/shows/show_071703.html
(i would skip the first track tho, and its better when it starts off with that second track)
im kinda biased to that site since i sometimes trade music with someone to manages that site

and when you listen to phrenology i would suggest to keep an open mind, dont let it discourage you from checking out their other albums

Sep 25, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
Best of the Best:
Masters of the Universe by Binary Star

Thank You!

I just sampled this album on Amazon and it's just what I was looking for... ie some hip hop that I'd never heard before that wasn't all about the ben's etc.

I'll definately get this album!

Thanks again
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back