collect from bounce check (NY)
Apr 22, 2008 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

cantsleep

Headphoneus Supremus
i sold some merchandize to this guy from NY, about 2months ago. he has a store and bought em for the store, and it was shipped to the store. anyways, he sent us a check and it bounced, about 4 times. later i tried to reach him but he changed his telephone number for the store. im in california and it isnt easy to travel or contact a collection agency over about $1000. how would i about to proceed?

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 16
What part of NY?
Also....$1000 might be a good amount for small claims court.

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 16
PM me with the info and I might be able to do a "stop by".'

Then, maybe you'll be able to sleep.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im in california and it isnt easy to travel or contact a collection agency over about $1000. how would i about to proceed?

The collection agency would likely eat about half of it. You may want to try other options first.

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 16
Contact his bank, the BBB in NY and the local police department. One of those should help out.

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PM me with the info and I might be able to do a "stop by".'

I am always amazed by how nice everyone here is!

Apr 23, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What part of NY?
Also....$1000 might be a good amount for small claims court.

Small claims jurisdiction tends to be limited - it is hard to sue someone in another state outside of federal court.

I would recommend contacting the Attorney General's office and the local police department. Passing a bad check is a crime, the severity of which is usually based on the amount. Getting sued is one thing, getting arrested is another.

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #10 of 16
You are in a difficult situation, particularly if the seler's bank does not do business in your state. Contact your bank for their advice on how to collect the funds. If the seller's bank also does business in your state, you can contact the seller's bank everyday to see if funds are available. As soon as the bank account has cash in it, cash the check with the seller's bank. This worked for me, but both the customer and I resided in the same state.

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 16
he bought from a store next door and paid with credit card. recently, they got a notice from credit card company that the charge has been on hold. cc company says that the cardholder did not authorize the transaction. what a crook...

anyways, he closed his bank account. so re-depositing is out of option..

is it possible to just call NY police and say that my check has been bounced several times and want to file a report? i dont know how well that is going to work..

to file a claim, do i claim from NY claim department or just CA?

ah, headache..

here are some info.

Hot Girls 2000 Incorporated
(718) 703-2120
768 Flatbush Ave, Brooklyn, NY

phone number probably wont work..
anyways, if you live near there, dont buy from them, even for your daughters..

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 16
Pressing charges is not "Filing a claim". You should call the NY Attorney Generals office and ask about filing a complaint and seeing if they would prosecute. There is some threshold ($$ wise) where law enforcement takes it more seriously. Contacting whoever prosecutes interstate mail fraud.

Call collection agencies. Don't let them take more than 1/3 of the recovered funds. The last collection agency that I used took 25%

Apr 24, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #13 of 16
I don't understand why you gave him anything before his funds cleared, especially a check. This guy is obviously a scammer, he used a stolen credit card and phoney checks, the information he gave you probably is fake too. I don't see you getting your stuff back or payment to be honest but GL. I also live in NY but i'm not crazy enough like some of these people to go confront this guy.

May 1, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #14 of 16
Anything settled yet? Any progress at all???

May 1, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #15 of 16
That address would have tipped me off. It's right in the middle of Flatbush.

Go to a collections agency. Even if you get back 2/3 of your money, its still worth it. Taking it to small claims court or PD won't do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back