Colbert's White House Correspondence Monologue
May 20, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 37
I have the DVD quality version that's floating around on the torrent sites. That man has, as he puts it, "muchos huevos"! I don't understand the problem. Everyone should know what he's about, so it should not come as a shock to anyone. I thought it was great, break up that stuffy, self-congratulatory nonsense.

Colbert is the best thing on TV.

May 20, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 37
wow....that was like 3 weeks ago.
in any case, it wasn't as funny as it could have been.....more made for TV than for a private dinner atmosphere.
edit... "colbert is the best thing on TV"...John Stewart is imho
wink.gif

May 22, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 37
I don't know, I no fan of the president or any president for that matter, but this just seemed plain rude. Insulting the President to his face in front of everyone? Since when did he become a pin cushion?

May 22, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
I don't know, I no fan of the president or any president for that matter, but this just seemed plain rude. Insulting the President to his face in front of everyone? Since when did he become a pin cushion?

To explain the reasoning and whatever of why he did it would be too political for this place, but let's just say that if one can't stand to take it, one shouldn't be dishing it out...

May 22, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #8 of 37
it was funny, if you don't think so, you don't recognize the giant adamantium balls the man was displaying.

come on, he dissed everyone!

that stuff about thinking with your gut was so right on - and the deafening silence in the crowd just goes to show how effective has stuff was.

thank god colbert got to say that stuff to the president - because 200,000,000 people have wanted to voice similar concerns for a long time.

May 22, 2006 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir

Politics aside, it's what's called a roasting. And if you're prominent in any way shape or form, and invited to something in your honor... don't be surprised if you get a roasting, even if everyone there loves you to bits, you could well be subject to a roasting.

That's all it was... and it was hilarious.
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #10 of 37
From the crowd's reaction, it seems they weren't familiar with the Colbert Report. It was as if they were expecting a comedy act, not a satirist.
The truth hurt I guess.
The ending with Helen Thomas was the best, I never laughed so hard.
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #11 of 37
I'm about as liberal as anyone could possibly be, but I found his jokes, in general, not all that funny - just the same old bush-bashing routine. Sure I respect him for his balls, but balls alone doesn't make anyone funny.

May 22, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #13 of 37
I respect the presidency and I believe that Colbert does as well. That respect is why his bit was so funny and long overdue. It’s the roasted that doesn’t respect the office.

May 22, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #14 of 37
I watched it for 7 minutes and I didn't think it was that funny. I am also part of the 70% that is not happy with the president. People weren't laughing, because it wasn't that funny. His first joke wasn't even political (Black SUVs blocking Black SUVs), but still no one laughed. You could hear crickets chirping.

May 22, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
The man has stainless steel balls.

I concur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back