coffee gadgets...
Jan 23, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #316 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoNelly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tablespoon, not teaspoon. And I tend to go about 1.5. Still, I want to taste the coffee, not peel paint with it!

Tablespoon of course, misspoke. if i go to a coffee shop, Coffee bean is a smaller chain around here, i usually drink an americano with room for cream and then don't put in the cream. I think its like five shots of espresso with alittle water, maybe 50/50 or 60/40. Thats close to my coffee strength if i had to estimate i guess. I think i do about 10 tablespoons of french roast for 8 or 8.5 cups. If it is too much i add alittle water, but better too strong then too weak.

Jan 23, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #319 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ad Rock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They systematically over-roast their beans I have heard to ensure consistency throughout their offering. I guess it makes sense to be better safe than sorry, just sometimes it comes at a sacrifice for the actual quality of the beans.

Over-roast or burn their beans? Everyone knows by now how sweet, mild, and delicate Kona coffee is. One time, I bought a bag of 100% Kona coffee from Starbucks and it was quite expensive. When I ground the beans and made coffee, I was pissed to discover that the beans tasted burnt and bitter. In fact, I then went across the street and bought a cup of coffee from a street corner bodega. When I got home I compared the two. The Kona Starbucks coffee was better, but barely so. I never bought coffee from Starbucks again.

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #320 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tablespoon of course, misspoke. if i go to a coffee shop, Coffee bean is a smaller chain around here, i usually drink an americano with room for cream and then don't put in the cream. I think its like five shots of espresso with alittle water, maybe 50/50 or 60/40. Thats close to my coffee strength if i had to estimate i guess. I think i do about 10 tablespoons of french roast for 8 or 8.5 cups. If it is too much i add alittle water, but better too strong then too weak.

5 espressos in a cup ???
ph34r.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #321 of 668
Quote:

Anyone compared home roasters? Specifically I'm looking at the the iRoast 2, FreshRoast Plus8, and the Gene Cafe. Prices range from $100 to $500 for those three, and while I know I love good coffee (Chemex all the way, baby), I'm not yet convinced I should invest in a home roaster.

I'd start with the $100 version, but it roasts such a tiny amount I'm afraid I'd be roasting twice per day, and that if I liked it I'd end up upgrading in a few months. The $500 unit does up to half a pound at a time, but dang--that's some serious bucks (one third of a pair of Senn HD800s!). One thing I do know: I'm not interested in stovetop or popcorn popper methods.

My comment on coffee: As I've become more of a coffeephile (java snob?), I've come to realize that most people make two major mistakes when brewing coffee. Mistake number one: They use a drip coffee maker that achieves a maximum temp WAY below the optimum 200 degrees (and they NEVER clean that coffee maker, which leads to one tainted cup after another). Second, they use way too few grounds, resulting in weak-tasting coffee that lacks any body. Anything less than a rounded tablespoon for every five ounces is too little, and I tend to use a bit more than that.

I've looked at all the home roasters available, but none really hit a home run, at least for me. (Batch size too small, lack of control, too much smoke for indoor use, etc.) I finally tried the "dog bowl" roasting method, which is basically a paint stripping gun, a stainless steel bowl, and a whisk to stir the beans. (I actually had all of these items already around the house). Works great, but it must be done outdoors (lots of smoke and chaff). I find it gives a great deal of control, since you can see exactly what stage the beans are at. I can do 8-10 oz. at a time, two batches is typically enough to last a week for the two of us. I buy beans from Sweet Marias, 20 lbs at a time. Brewing is mostly either direct brew or French press, but we also have two Mocca pots. I generally use the six tasse Mocca pot if I want a cup myself.

Nothing like freshly roasted coffee.

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #322 of 668
Quote:

Anyone compared home roasters? Specifically I'm looking at the the iRoast 2, FreshRoast Plus8, and the Gene Cafe. Prices range from $100 to $500 for those three, and while I know I love good coffee (Chemex all the way, baby), I'm not yet convinced I should invest in a home roaster.

I'd start with the $100 version, but it roasts such a tiny amount I'm afraid I'd be roasting twice per day, and that if I liked it I'd end up upgrading in a few months. The $500 unit does up to half a pound at a time, but dang--that's some serious bucks (one third of a pair of Senn HD800s!). One thing I do know: I'm not interested in stovetop or popcorn popper methods.

My comment on coffee: As I've become more of a coffeephile (java snob?), I've come to realize that most people make two major mistakes when brewing coffee. Mistake number one: They use a drip coffee maker that achieves a maximum temp WAY below the optimum 200 degrees (and they NEVER clean that coffee maker, which leads to one tainted cup after another). Second, they use way too few grounds, resulting in weak-tasting coffee that lacks any body. Anything less than a rounded tablespoon for every five ounces is too little, and I tend to use a bit more than that.

I have the iRoast2 and have been very pleased with it. It is programmable and you can save your favorite roasting and repeat it. I like the small batches and since it is just me drinking the coffee I roast about every 3-4 days. Lately I have been roasting espresso and I must say it far surpasses any coffee shop I have been to in the US. My memory may also be playing tricks on me as it has been many years since I have been in Italy for a cup but I remember it fondly.

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #323 of 668
i had to make a decision about 2 years ago, regarding a coffee roaster. i had every other coffee gadget i could think of, and roasting was the final frontier. i was going to a fresh roast, or the one with the big plastic screw augur inside (can't remember the name). from my audio upgrade experience, i realized it would be more econoicall to just do it once, and do it right, so i bought the gene cafe as my b-day present to myself, and even had it overnighted to me....

some 400+ roasts later, i have never looked back. roasting twice per week keeps my wife and i supplied at home, and my machine at work full.

i buy from burmans and sweet marias, and the machine has more than paid for itself. i roast on top of my stove, and the hood removes more than enough smoke (except for the aged java which smokes up a storm).

if you are into coffee, and want a machine that will do the job without becoming a nuisance or taking up too much time, go for the gene!

no, i don't sell them, just love it. usual cup is from a tehnivorm (thanks to the wife for a great xmas surprise), which replaced a capresso mt500. i also have a super automatic, moka pots, a toddy maker, an ibrik, french presses, including the trudeau that pulls the grounds up out of the water, an aeropress, --cripes i am crazy!!!!

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #324 of 668
I use the Rancillio Silvia to pull my shots at home. Using the Rancillio Rocky burr grinder as well. For me the Intelligencia Black Cat roast, is the best tasting and smelling coffee I have ever had.

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #325 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some 400+ roasts later, i have never looked back. roasting twice per week keeps my wife and i supplied at home, and my machine at work full.

Thanks for the input, Fzman. My wife thinks I'm mildly crazy about all this coffee stuff, but even she appreciates the fresh beans I've managed to score from fine roasters around the SF Bay area. I think she'd be happy with home-roasted beans (as long as she didn't have to roast them herself). That said, I think I may have to keep the actual cost of the roaster to myself. :)

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #326 of 668
How about this coffee gadget?
1970's coffee pot on open fire...
smile.gif

58200866fj6.jpg

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #327 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5 espressos in a cup ???
ph34r.gif

Oops I checked, it's four shots for both them and Starbucks(uck). I do sometimes add a shot and not get room on top though.--Buzzz

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #329 of 668
Jan 27, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #330 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grabbed a hand powered milk frother yesterday. Works great. Since it is pumping air in to the milk there is no problem using skim if your fat conscious and it froths the milk very thick. This is the unit I bought at a local culinary store for $20.

Amazon.com: Bodum Chambord 5-Ounce Milk Frother: Kitchen & Dining

I have that one, it looks really nice when matched with the Chambord French Press (ooooh, matching sets!). I recall that heating the milk makes for a thinner froth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back