cMP and cPlay media player
Oct 15, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #62 of 125
Yes I agree with you, but I am from the camp of HiFi people that prefer something that sounds good to me, rather than brutal accuracy based upon test results, If we all went off specifications then we would all just buy Behringer and be done with it, as Behringers specs are usually really good, but in reality sound bad, usually.

I really think you should try CMP and tell me what you think.
will take a minute to download and two minutes to set up.
Its always good to hear the opinion of a skeptic. (no offense intended).

foobar was the best sounding computer playback,for many years, but for me, I wont use it for critical listening anymore as, to me, CMP is better, and the couple of people who have heard my setup, when we compared foobar to CMP and Cplay, prefered CMP. Its not subtle on my system. Your mileage may vary.
Regards,
Erin

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #63 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by erin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ummm, well, i just use the software, I dont know the ins and outs of it.
When i double click on the CMP icon, it opens up the player and i can play music on it, I can also double click on Cplay, and play the music on this as well, for some reason unknown to me, CMP sounds heaps better, perhaps i have adjusted some setting inadvertently which causes CMP to sound better.
If you have any ideas as to what is causing this.
Please let me know, because i dont understand why one sounds better than the other. I would like to know what is causing the difference.
Regards,
Erin

Well in order for CMP to play music you need to install cPlay. They work together, try play music file in CMP without installing cPlay and see what happens....

cPlay can be use in windows as standalone play without installing CMP.

But if use together (CMP + cPlay) they sound great.....

YMMV

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #64 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well in order for CMP to play music you need to install cPlay. They work together, try play music file in CMP without installing cPlay and see what happens....

cPlay can be use in windows as standalone play without installing CMP.

But if use together (CMP + cPlay) they sound great.....

YMMV

So you are a CMP+Cplay convert also?

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #65 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by erin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really think you should try CMP and tell me what you think.
will take a minute to download and two minutes to set up.
Its always good to hear the opinion of a skeptic. (no offense intended).

well I'm not a skeptic like all these smart asses from HA, I know many things matter in PC audio...PSU(the lower the ripple the better), mobo ground shielding, etc etc.

OTOH, I'm not a cable believer...anyway I did try xxHighEnd, and it sounded grossly reverbed/post-processed to my ears. Later on, I found a link on computeraudiophile.com where its author said exactly that: he does a hell lot of filtering + very slight reverb.

the thing is that you can achieve bit-perfect within any player on any OS using a bit-perfect audio renderer(KS/ASIO/WASAPI)....and I think that cMP can only open cue files? sounds annoying.

I also tried the Japanese "Lilith" player in ASIO, which is also said to give better-than-bitperfect audio...well, it didn't impress me much.

but the cMP author said that he cannot stand ASIO as it'd color the sound in an unbearable way...comparing bit-perfect renderers sounds "dubious", but several ppl have reported that KS sounded better than WASAPI to them(wider SS/better seperation). so my only question is: would that also the case in a DBT? maybe they are just victims of poor windows drivers engineering for their specific soundcards.

I agree that what matters is the end user's satisfaction, just like these fancy braided Jena cables(that turn greenish due to oxydation after a few months, how ironic
biggrin.gif
)....if your brain's happy, it makes music sound better
smile_phones.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #66 of 125
Yes CMP can only play cue files, but there is a program called recursive cue generator which is a java program that will generate cue sheets for all music files in the root directory that you point to. So you just let it go and it will generate the cue files in a couple of minutes. No stuffing around. Nice!

Funny about the CMp authors comments, as CMP uses ASIO!

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #67 of 125
ahhhh, maybe I'm mixing w/ the HighEndXX author then, my bad! I read so much bs on computeraudiophile.com that it made my eyes bleed
biggrin.gif

I burn my music on DVD-R, and make .m3u files for instant playlist in foobar...can't be hassled to make .cue's

why only .cue? coz it's 37337?

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #69 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahhhh, maybe I'm mixing w/ the HighEndXX author then, my bad! I read so much bs on computeraudiophile.com that it made my eyes bleed
biggrin.gif

I burn my music on DVD-R, and make .m3u files for instant playlist in foobar...can't be hassled to make .cue's

why only .cue? coz it's 37337?

Yes i read about HighEndXX and decided to pass on that one!

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #70 of 125
Erin, thank you for the tip, I thought it was possible somehow but never found out how.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can CMP sound better than cplay when it does not play music files??? If you use CMP you must use cPlay to play the music file. But cplay can be use as standalone player.

cafe zeenuts, she means cmp and cplay sound better than cplay alone, not that cmp is a standalone player which you are mistaking as being said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Double Blind Test: Matrix HiFi --> Blind testing high end full equipments

your brain is a very powerful DSP, and is heavily directed by emotions...I don't doubt your judgment honesty, but it's hard to trust one's ears. these are not accurate measuring tools.

I could nitpick that DBT to death. As you said, the brain is a very powerful DSP, but that means two things. One, the one you keep harping on in the wrong forum, is that it is difficult to prove an audible difference. Two, that it is just as difficult to give people an honest chance not to provide a false negative. The vast majority of audio DBT's I have seen are textbook examples of stupid testing methods and I'd give them much less credence than anecdotal evidence.

leeperry, it's not about better than bit perfect it's about jitter.

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #71 of 125
I'd like to take this opportunity to remind folks that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rules
We do not engage in the discussion of double-blind testing (DBT) of cables or any other components anywhere on this site except for the Sound Science forum.

We do this not because DBT is or is not an legitimate means for decision-making. Rather, in our experience we find that these discussions repeatedly break down rather quickly into nasty circular arguments by competing camps of true believers. We've come to the conclusion that there's no particularly worthwhile end to be served by this line of discussion, and as such we're asking that the membership only engage in it in threads in the Sound Science fourum .

Thanks...

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #72 of 125
thanks for the reminder...maybe cMp's windows kernel jitter improvement is very much audible, if one day they decide to support more than .cue files I'll give it a shot
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #73 of 125
cplay will play cue as well as single wav and flac files.

also, you can edit the cmp "ini" file, and have it launch the player of your choice, so long as it has an asio driver. i use cmp to launch winamp, using a recompile of the otachan asio driver, done by a guy on audioasylum who uses the screen name carcass93.

sounds very good to me, and gives me the better gui.

i can easily switch it back to launch cplay.

since it is my audio-only pc, the reboot is a non-issue.

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #74 of 125
cplay isn't nearly as convenient as other computers players which is why I still have other players and only use cplay+cmp occasionally. But I think the reason that it is so inconvenient is it was designed to do dedicated computer transports in which case all its quirks like cuesheet, ghetto gui, disabled explorer.exe, etc make sense.

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #75 of 125
With Foobar and MM the volume sits between 9-12

On Cplay I had to wind it all the way and that wasn't enough (all windows volumes set to max)
Gave me a very nasty shock went I went back to MM!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back