cMP and cPlay media player
Oct 15, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #76 of 125
The default setting on Cplay is strangely, -30.0 dB. Did you change that?

Cmp is a horrible piece of software in terms of usability. Cplay I don't mind as much; at least it handles .cue files the way I think it should.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #77 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The default setting on Cplay is strangely, -30.0 dB. Did you change that?

Thanks for that - steep learning curve!

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #78 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by erin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you are a CMP+Cplay convert also?

I have been using CMP + cPlay since i switch from CD transport to computer transport early last year. I've try most media players and found that CMP + cPlay sounds the best. The PC i'm running is just for using as transport. CMP interface is pain in a** to use in the beginning but once you figure out how to use it it's fine.

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #79 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been using CMP + cPlay since i switch from CD transport to computer transport early last year. I've try most media players and found that CMP + cPlay sounds the best. The PC i'm running is just for using as transport. CMP interface is pain in a** to use in the beginning but once you figure out how to use it it's fine.

Have you optimised your PC such as suggested on the CMP + cPlay website?

I have done a few of the basic changes to the XP settings, but I also use my PC for other work so I have not done a lot of what they suggest.
But I do have the mobo and CPU that is suggested on the website

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #82 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah done all the configs as suggested by them, but i'm not using the mobo and CPU that is suggested by them, dont reaally know why, i should have tho. Now i'm thinking of getting them but having trouble finding e7200. DO you know where i can get them in Melb?

I think the mobo makes a big difference as i tried CMP + cPlay on an old computer with a P4 and old mobo.
This computer was actually optimised for audio a lot better like as suggested on the CMP website, and the sonic results were not as good as my new computer.

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #83 of 125
Tried Cplay, Not impressed. Not because of the ui which is tacky but becaue of the performance of the sample rate converter as the dacs that I have are top of the line Burr Brown PCM1792A dacs & are capable of clean output down to the limits of hearing even when using a high gain amp turned up to full output & the sound card & windows media player turned down to absolute minimum to where you can barely hear it, it still sounds clean. This is using the software that came with the soundcard.

There appears to be no change in volume below -80 db & the output is very dirty below -60db. there appears to be no dither used to clean it up as it sounds just like the early 14 to 16 bit ladder converters with early digital recordings. Massive distortion in the lower 2-3 bits. This seems to me to mean that there is some bit truncation occuring in the software of the Cplay program. This is true no matter the settings.

You get the impression from the literature on it that it improves both sample frequency & bit depth but if that were the case the output should have been clean at -80db as there would still be 64db worth of bits to modulate in a 24 bit solution

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #84 of 125
Tried Foobar. Much better in this regard, sound remains clean all the way down to -93 db the lowest volume available before complete silence. That is with the same setup as cplay with the included resampler & my high gain headphne amp turned all the way up as well as windows volume all the way up.

Cplay's volume control is very poorly implimented & this compromises the performance of anything else it can do as its resolution is 14 bits at best. Not quite the 64 bit implimention that is advertised. Nor is the required dither there to get the best out of even that resolution

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #85 of 125
germanium, I haven't tested what you said but think it is likely just some bug in cplay and is not working as intended. What operating system are you using and if you don't mind I'd like to the programmer's attention.

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #86 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
germanium, I haven't tested what you said but think it is likely just some bug in cplay and is not working as intended. What operating system are you using and if you don't mind I'd like to the programmer's attention.

windows seven 64 bit RTM

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #87 of 125
germanium, this is what I got from the guy:

Quote:

cPlay outputs 32 bit audio to the soundcard driver. On startup, if the driver doesn't support 32 bit, cPlay reports an error and will not allow for any playback.

Driver converts 32bit format down to 24 (or 16) either at sw or hw level and may apply dithering if needed.

Based on the problem experienced, that driver needs to be either reinstalled or may have a bug. There could also be an issue with 64bit Windows - here, cPlay must be run in 32bit mode.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #88 of 125
.. whoa, this cMP stuff is worse than any cable debate I've seen so far.

Guys talking about how software audio players "sound" ... I don't want to be unfriendly, but where's the common sense?

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #90 of 125
@xnor: I think you would do well on the HA forum, they will love your funny theories on that blog of yours
wink.gif

Sampling rate and bits per sample – a practical comparison « The Snake Oil Sheikh
Quote:

please do not jump to conclusions like “mp3 sucks” now, since that’s not true.

word! I listen to mp3 all the time
pascal75.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back