CLOSED
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #211 of 313
$10 VE Electronics Odyssey: surprisingly good...good enough to enjoy with my laptop. Incoming as I see...

IMG_0134 copy.jpeg
I've been using them for last 2-3 months for basic use they're fantastic value for money. Decent build quality and good SQ.

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #212 of 313
Orderly!. Ikko ZERDA vs ddHiFi TC35 Pro (Eye). Both come to my TIN HiFi P1 torture test. Flagship Cirrus Logic chip compared to latest ESS DAC.
Tireless worker. For me, exploring the difference in just two earbuds was like unloading a coal machine with your ears alone. )))) I will not listen to the music tracks selected for this study for at least a year

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #213 of 313
Неутомимый работник. Для меня исследование разницы всего в двух наушниках было похоже на разгрузку угольной машины одними ушами. ))))
Молодёжь!
Раньше разгружали вагонами )))

I had a similar quest on a much smaller scale, with about 10 dongles. The difference really surprised me. In a science forum, they say "DACs should not matter " :)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #214 of 313
Молодёжь!
Раньше разгружали вагонами )))

I had a similar quest on a much smaller scale, with about 10 dongles. The difference really surprised me. In a science forum, they say "DACs should not matter " :)

They have classic statement
"Volume matching?"
"Can achieve by using EQ?"

Jun 26, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #215 of 313
In a science forum, they say .....
I want to take this opportunity. Can someone explain to me in a nutshell? Through what processing points the signal passes from the processor to the output phone when:
1. removal of a signal from the audio output of the phone.
2. Listening to Deezer via USB
3. Direct USB output.
Differently. What kind of telephone technology is used on the way from the central telephone chip to the audio output versus "direct output", say, when using HibyMusic. And what kind of telephone technology is used - when listening to Deezer with USB, and not used - with direct output.
From USB from Deezer, we receive a digital signal. Clear. But what processing did it go through in comparison - with the "direct inference"? And did not pass - in comparison with the audio output. The difference between the three ways interests.
Schematically: transformation, amplification, separation, and so on.

1. CPU > X > Y >a > b > c > d > dac > amplifier > - audio output
2. CPU > X > Y > a > b > > > > > > > > > > > > > - Deezer From USB
3. CPU > X > Y > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > - direct exit (HibyMusic)
a - ?, b - ?, c- ?, d - ? .......... - what is there, what is not with a direct exit?

Thank you
Sorry, I don't speak English.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #216 of 313
I realized that with the last update the dongles count has exceeded 40 units already tested. Precisely at 41. With the ones still being tested and some more incoming orders, It will be well over 50.

I have achieved my personal goal of finding the 3 units that I am keeping permanently:
For Daily Use:
Ovidius B1
(Primary dongle for ER4SR, ER2XR, TIN HiFi P1)
iBasso DC04 (Primary dongle for Monolith M565c, Beyerdynamic DT990, AKG K52)
hiliDAC Audirect BEAM 2S (AUX Feed to Shure KSE1500)

Backup:
CX-Pro Audio CX31993
(All Rounder general use)
Meizu HiFi Audio Pro (A legend worth keeping)
JCally JA21 (My 1st Dongle that started it all)

* I keep only what I use, so some of them are already on the way to my buddy Yannick Khong for him to test and do as he please. The rest being given away as raffle gifts and to friends from the Chifi Audio Reviews FB group.
* I will likely slow down after 50 units and will still regularly update my #donglemadness adventure whenever I can get hold of dongle units that I have not tested yet

20210625_030219_HDR.jpg

It was fun for me and I hope you had fun too with the story :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #218 of 313
I want to take this opportunity. Can someone explain to me in a nutshell? Through what processing points the signal passes from the processor to the output phone when:
3. Direct USB output.
Differently. What kind of telephone technology is used on the way from the central telephone chip to the audio output versus "direct output", say, when using HibyMusic. And what kind of telephone technology is used - when listening to Deezer with USB, and not used - with direct output.
From USB from Deezer, we receive a digital signal. Clear. But what processing did it go through in comparison - with the "direct inference"? And did not pass - in comparison with the audio output. The difference between the three ways interests.

a - ?, b - ?, c- ?, d - ? .......... - what is there, what is not with a direct exit?

Thank you

3. Direct USB output.

Thank you
Very briefly (not to distract from this thread and not to claim that I am any ultimate expert in this matter).

Any digital signal needs to be converted to an analog form (voltage varying in time) to move the trasnducers (IEMs, etc). So the processing (D- -> A) and amplification is needed.

In an ideal world, all "good" processing should be the same, hence the favourite word of " transparency" in science forums.

In a real world, different manufacturers use different algorithms to render from digital to analog, and amplification is far from perfect in portable equipment.

Phones are limited both in amplification, and often in that the sound processing is geared for the phone calls (as it should be).

A properly connected DAC takes the digital signal processing from the phone, so the latter is technically just a "transport".

Then what still critically matters is the phone (or any source) ability to properly power DACs since most of the portable DACs, as tested here, do not have their power source. In my limited quest, the power requirement became a critical issue (one of the goals was to find a good DAC for Tempotec V1A which basically failed :frowning2:)

P. S. If you have more questions - just send me a message.

Jun 26, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #220 of 313
Jun 27, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #222 of 313
I came across Ikko ITM05 'music patch' few days ago in my local audio retail.
https://ikkoaudio.com/product/ikko-itm05/

It looks really interesting and might be an ideal portable solution to use with phones.
I demo it just a few minutes, with my very limited first impression was it add more body and warm to treble. But compare to lotoo PAW S1 which I also demo it in the same shop, lotoo sounds more detail, better in layering and more 'air space'
I could be wrong, as I only listen to it for about 15-20 minutes. Anyone have more insights for itm05?

I ended up going for lotoo, although itm05 might be better portable solution, but I don't like the idea of it stuck at the back of the phone/case permanently, and can't use it with laptop/pc.

Jun 27, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #223 of 313
I came across Ikko ITM05 'music patch' few days ago in my local audio retail.
https://ikkoaudio.com/product/ikko-itm05/

It looks really interesting and might be an ideal portable solution to use with phones.
I demo it just a few minutes, with my very limited first impression was it add more body and warm to treble. But compare to lotoo PAW S1 which I also demo it in the same shop, lotoo sounds more detail, better in layering and more 'air space'
I could be wrong, as I only listen to it for about 15-20 minutes. Anyone have more insights for itm05?

I ended up going for lotoo, although itm05 might be better portable solution, but I don't like the idea of it stuck at the back of the phone/case permanently, and can't use it with laptop/pc.
Yes I have seen this one and is still in my radar. As for your impressions, the IEM or Headphone used to test them also can impart the final sound delivered.

Jun 27, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #224 of 313
@OspreyAndy That iBasso DC04 is on my radar. How is it compare to PEE51? Being 4V output, does your power source depleted in 60 seconds?😆.Thought is nice connected to ext balanced amp.

Jun 27, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #225 of 313
@OspreyAndy That iBasso DC04 is on my radar. How is it compare to PEE51? Being 4V output, does your power source depleted in 60 seconds?😆.Thought is nice connected to ext balanced amp.
PEE51 I would regard as "warmer" compared to the sparkier DC04, otherwise the both of them are still beautifully balanced sounding. Obviously DC04 has that upper hand with that monstrous 4 Vrms power. Power draw on both are similar too because PEE51 has that two CS DACs inside with strong amp stages. The trade-off with these great dongles, they always are demanding on power. Ovidius B1, S9 Pro and those within that range will all have similar behavior. Only the CX-Pro seems to be forgiving when it comes to power draw and heat management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back