CLOSED to NEW - See AudioTiers in my Signature: US Head-Fi Tour: VISION EARS ELYSIUM vs. VE8 vs. ERLKöNIG TOTL CIEM Tour - Starting November 2019
Nov 9, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #31 of 775
@Barra I received the Vision Ears tour kit today, and messaged the next two participants. @rantng @toaster22

Photo of what are all included in the tour kit:

20191109_120630.jpg

1. Elysium universal iem with 2.5mm balanced connector cable
2. Elysium iem case
3. VE8 universal iem
4. VE8 iem case
5. Pentacon balanced output adapter
6. 3.5mm single ended output adapter
7. Sanitation wipes
8. 3 sets of S,M,L sizes of Spinfit tips for Elysium
9. 2 additional sets of M,L sizes of Spinfits
10. 1 set of small size Symbio Manderines

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #33 of 775
ELYSIUM Unboxing Video

I cannot begin to tell you how much I am enjoying my ELYSIUM custom. If you think the universal tour version is good, the custom is significantly better. While the mids are to die for, with the universal set, I was under the impression that the ELYSIUM is bass light given my poor seal. This is far from the case. In custom, it is the best bass I have heard for my tastes. While it is not a bass head tuning, it could satisfy a bass head as it is that big and hits that hard. However, it is tight and lush how the single BA ties the sub into the dynamic mids. Listen to the VE8 which bass came through for me in the universal form and add that to the ELYSIUM plus more lush textures and you will know what I am talking about. This ELYSIUM is still blowing my mind and I have been listening to it a lot.

In fact, it is so fun, that I have gone to the lengths of setting up a new listening source through the Amazon Music HD application. I found it when I found that it supported Sony 360 Reality Audio that everyone is gushing about. While I am not sure that the 360 is engaged yet as it is new and not announced to be integrated yet, the Amazon Music HD has some sort of musical magic that is making everything sound wonderful doubling the fun of discovering new music. I am also driving my ELYSIUM with my desktop Burson Playmate which is an outstanding combination pushing almost 2 watts into the ELYSIUM at 16 ohms. The ELYSIUM loves power and gets even lusher. It sounds counter-intuitive, but there is a competing clarity and lushness with resolution and texture simultaneously that makes the ELYSIUM so addicting.

Regardless, check out my unboxing video to see just how high end this experience is:

Nov 18, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #36 of 775
Kit received. Unboxing videos are cool, but I appreciate that this was shipped with just the two IEMs & cables in their cases and a small baggie with the tips & adapters. On a related note, the adapters look really cool; love how low-profile they are.

IMG_3256.jpg

I've PMed the next participants. Thanks again @Barra

Nov 19, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #40 of 775
Some thoughts on the Elysium:

I found the treble a bit emphasized than to my liking, especially around 8k. The upper-mids doesn't seem to sound like there enough fullness to the tonality. Combination of these two cause the overall tonality to sound on the thinner side, similar to how Hifiman HE1000 series headphones sounds like. The bass is very good for BA, good definition.

It seems the resolution could be impressive if the tonality was better balanced. The electret drivers definitely has distinct way of expressing treble, different from BA drivers. This is my first experience with electret drivers, and it sounds highly separated or thinner sounding treble, sounding sparkly (with the 8k emphasis). With the Anole VX, I found the treble to be emphasized as well, but the treble was different with thicker sounding, and more blended treble. So, in the upper-frequencies, the electret driver does seem to have similar characteristics as electrostatic driver headphones. The electret driver characteristic did stand out, to a degree to seem a bit disjoint from the other frequencies utilizing BA.

The bass level is less than Anole VX, and both are less than Legend X (which is a bass monster! In a good way). Personally, I prefer the bass level of Anole VX which is greater in impact. That's not to say Elysium is lacking or too low, but more in the neutral zone I'd say. So, it's still a well defined and articulate bass, it's just lower in intensity than VX.

In comparison to Legend X, I say the upper frequencies have greater separation, and more distinction between sounds. I find Legend X upper frequencies fairly ordinary in definition, resolution, etc.., with tonal balance being tops. I find Legend X to have the best tonal balance out of the 3.

What would work really well would be tonal balance of Legend X (although bordering bass-head low-end) with separation of Elysium, and bass of Legend X or VX.

Given I found Erlkonig having good balance, I was expecting the same for Elysium, which was not the case. I think it's likely due the Electret driver.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #42 of 775
Nov 20, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #44 of 775
Nov 20, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #45 of 775
According to Amazon my order is set to arrive December 18, 2019 - January 15, 2020. :dizzy_face:

Hifigo offers a $5 coupon when you sign up for their mailing list so that may be the way to go. Code is HIFIGO5

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back