Closed, over the ear, AKG-style headphones, ~$350?
Nov 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Soundofmusic

100+ Head-Fier
I am contemplating on buying my first set of real headphones for use in a office landscape, and at home.
I need them to both isolate (heated) discussions between coworkers, and prevent any sound from escaping at normal listening levels.
I will be using the headset without any amp with the sources being a laptop and a HTC Desire cellphone.
Semi portable is a plus, but not a requirement.

My previous headsets are:
Koss Porta Pro: Liked them
Beyerdynamic DT235: Liked them, although a tad lacking in the bass for me
Roccat Kave: Bad quality, hissing noises etc, grainy

The music I listen to is generally pop, techno, indie and rock, in that order.

I have destroyed 3 sets of the DT235 due to the cable/endpoints tearing because i move the headset alot around between my computer and tv, and each time I've soldered them back to terrible sound quality, so I guess interchangeable cords would be a plus.

Looks are an important factor for me, I really love the AKG design and would instantly buy the AKG K601 if they would isolate.

Budget is around 0-$350, although I don't wanna spend excessive amounts if I my untrained ears cant tell the difference between the quality of phones over a certain limit.

I am curious towards the AKG K540 headphones on their website, can't find any reviews of them, I guess it means they are not yet released.
I guess they are a bit on the cheaper side, and maybe I should rather opt for AKG K272 ? Is there any way to get the HD version with an interchangeable cord (mod?)? I like the colors on the HD much better than the MK II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back