Closed Headphones - I Need Some Help
Jul 23, 2011 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Dom de B

New Head-Fier
Hi, I was just wondering if any of you could help me either choose or at least help me on my way to choose a pair of closed headphones.

I listen to Dubstep, Indie, Future Gararge, Post Dubstep (Both the last two pretty much encompass anything produced electronically that doesn't fit into Trance, House, DNB, and Dubstep.

Favourite Bands/Producers:

James Blake
Jamie woon
Jamie XX
The XX
Mount Kimbie
Mumford and Sons - Don't judge I've been a fan for a very long time as they went to my brothers school
Noah and The Whale
Mount Kimbie
Pangaea
Burial

Then a couple of more Bassy/sub bassy dubstep producers like Loefah and Digital Mystikz. - Clarity still beats quantity/impact in the low frequencies though

I'm looking at  £200-£300 ($330-489) + I'll likely be buying second hand so please say its second hand value and its retail value.

I don't want to seem pretentious but if you can answer in this kind of form.

Name:
Price 1st Hand:
Price 2nd Hand:
Value: 1-10 if you can
Build Quality/Sturdiness: 1-10 if you can
Pros:
Cons:
Comments:

Sorry if I'm acting kind of douchey but everyone says to include as much detail as possible about your price range and music preferences.

Thanks in advance, Dom

These will be used everywhere that why i'd prefer closed headphones. On buses, planes, trains. But also for late night mixing and listening when i cant wake anyone up or if i just want to chill on my own.

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
I can buy an amp. I'm pretty much looking at amps anyway. So yeah these will be amped.

I'd prefer a flat frequency response over a bass boosted response.

Do some research on the following:

Shure SRH-940 : These are very neutral headphones, perhaps the most neutral in their price range, bass is not overemphasized, it just is. Value wise I put them at the top ($300), you need to amp them and since they are new you will not find them used so easily.

Beyerdynamic T70p : I havent heard them (they are brand new), but you should look into them, from what I read about them, they seem to fit your bill. I have owned many Beyers and my favorite closed headphone is their flagship the T5p.

Ultrasone Pro 900: Bass centered but not boomy nor bloated, highs are also very clear, this are IMO good cans for your type of music. They cost around 300 used, hard to find also, value 8/10, just because I listen to a lot of acoustic jazz and I dont think these headphones are the best for acoustic music. They are perhaps the best electronic music headphones.

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 10
I've looked into the T5P but not a lot. I will definitely look at the T70P

I think you are the first person to recommend the Shure SRH-940 i think i've seen people talking about other shures but i never looked into it.

I don't know if i said i wanted Circumaural but i should probably add that. Reason being is that the ultrasone looks supra-aurul? or at least squashes your ear a bit? There is a pair on the classifieds right now i think

Thanks, Dom

Jul 25, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 10
Try looking at Denon D2000 or D5000 for your budget, but it leaks sound too much and portability might be a problem. Soundwise, Denons should match your music preference well.

Or other good option will be Ultrasone, perhaps HFI-780 or the Pro line if you want more detail.  

Jul 25, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I've looked into the T5P but not a lot. I will definitely look at the T70P

I think you are the first person to recommend the Shure SRH-940 i think i've seen people talking about other shures but i never looked into it.

I don't know if i said i wanted Circumaural but i should probably add that. Reason being is that the ultrasone looks supra-aurul? or at least squashes your ear a bit? There is a pair on the classifieds right now i think

Thanks, Dom

Ultrasone's are circumaural. The reason why no one has recommended the srh-940's is because they are very new and few people have heard them.
Dont bother with the Denon's they are to warm for your taste, plus leak a lot, same with the Audio Technica's.

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 10
Leaking is the main thing i'm trying to avoid. How to Beyerdynamics perform on that front?

The SRH-940's have been rated very highly in terms of detail by nearly everyone which is good and definitely more towards my preferred sound signature.

However due to their lack of presence in the 2nd hand market i would have to buy them first hand. That puts the price at around £170 - £230 ($277 - $374)

For this money i could buy a second hand pair of beyerdynamic DT770's and then buy a pair of DT990 drivers, new pads, new headband if i want to stylise it and possible an amp for the same price - depending on what 990 drivers i choose.

So i can have a semi DIY pair of closed DT990s in whatever resistance i choose. Or a brand new pair of SRH-940's on their own.

(i'm used to this stuff and my dads an electrician so i'm not liable to break anything)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back