Closed headphone: Shure SRH840, ATH-M50?
Feb 12, 2012 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

Marleybob217

Headphoneus Supremus
Dear fellow head-fi-ers, you have helped me immensely choosing an open headphone.
And now I could really use some help choosing a closed headphone!

I sold my DT770 because well I really hated the sound, the sibilance and the floppy bass are just plain awfull (imo).
I used the new acquired money to buy a HD650, and will never let it go.

The problem is, I need a closed, low impedance headphone for playing the drumkit and portable uses.
I have read great things about both the shure SRH840 and the ath-m50 where the shure's seem to be a little bit more balanced and this is something I prefer. 
Ofcourse any other great closed headphone will do too.

However, the shure's frequency responses seem to imply great sibilance, something I deeply, deeply hate. Maybe the shure SRH750DJ's are a bit less sibilant?

What I seek in a closed headphone:

Great detail
Good soundstage (for a closed headphone)
Tight bass, but also deep bass.
Full mids
Crisp highs, but absolutely no sibilance please!
Isolution, but not HD-25-II kind of isolation, I still like hearing my drumkit! (not anymore)
Around 150 euro's/USD's

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: Turns out I don't like hearing my drumkit, I just bought a new China cymbal which kills my hearing! Sounds awesome though:D (as long as I still have the ability to hear sounds)

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 79
Consider Fischer Audio Fa-003 / Brainwavz HM5

Reviews here : http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones/reviews

Should cover all your bases.

For contrast -  I owned SRH 840 and consider HM5 more balanced overall (both great headphones though).  HM5 also beats the SRH840 on longer term comfort.  I didn't like the M50 - too V shaped.  It will meet your bass needs - but highs may be too much for you.  Overall I think HM5 is prtetty close to what you are looking for.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 79

Quote:
Consider Fischer Audio Fa-003 / Brainwavz HM5

Reviews here : http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones/reviews

Should cover all your bases.

For contrast -  I owned SRH 840 and consider HM5 more balanced overall (both great headphones though).  HM5 also beats the SRH840 on longer term comfort.  I didn't like the M50 - too V shaped.  It will meet your bass needs - but highs may be too much for you.  Overall I think HM5 is prtetty close to what you are looking for.

Thanks for the reply Brooko,

I have actually considered the fa-003 a long time ago but they aren't available in my region (europe) same goes for the brainwavz :'(

Still thanks for your input, good to know that the m50's sound is v-shaped.
I do like highs, I actually always turn up the treble in EQ's as long as there isn't any sibilance.
Did you find the SRH840 to be sibilant (maybe more than the m50's)?

Many thanks!

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 79

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Brooko,

I have actually considered the fa-003 a long time ago but they aren't available in my region (europe) same goes for the brainwavz :'(

Still thanks for your input, good to know that the m50's sound is v-shaped.
I do like highs, I actually always turn up the treble in EQ's as long as there isn't any sibilance.
Did you find the SRH840 to be sibilant (maybe more than the m50's)?

Many thanks!

Personally I never felt that the SRH840 were sibilant.  Mind you - considering my age, I may have a little high-freq hearing loss - so just warning that you may want a second opinion.  I only had about 10 minutes with the M50 (about 12 months ago) - and that was because I was trying to decide between it and the SRH840.  A lot of people like the M50 - I found it too V shaped (I tend toward a more neutral [think DT880/HD600] signature).  I found the mids slightly recessed compared to SRH840.  M50 had better sub-bass - but highs were quite emphasised - too much for my personal preference.

Equivalent to FA-003 / HM5 - should be the Lindy (http://www.lindy.co.uk/premium-hi-fi-headphones/20378.html)
This may be better for you if you are Europe based.

My personal view is that the FA-003/HM5 is more neutral (balanced acros the spectrum) that the SRH840.

Hope this helps.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 79

Quote:
Never had a shure headphone but as far as quality athm50 is an awesome headphone my vote goes for it

So let me guess - you've never heard the SRH840, or the HM5 or equivalent - yet you feel confident that the M50 will be better for the OP than both?
rolleyes.gif

........ just really great input ........

It's not supposed to be a popularity vote - it's about answering the OP's question concerning 2 headphoness.  If you haven't heard both headphones - you don't have a valid opinion.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 79

Quote:
So let me guess - you've never heard the SRH840, or the HM5 or equivalent - yet you feel confident that the M50 will be better for the OP than both?
rolleyes.gif

........ just really great input ........

It's not supposed to be a popularity vote - it's about answering the OP's question concerning 2 headphoness.  If you haven't heard both headphones - you don't have a valid opinion.

I think this is a big problem with headphones and head-fi, people judge headphones they have never even heard.
I am actually writing this while I am listening to the SRH840:D. As far as sibilance goes, there really isn't any, really none.

The sound otherwise is pretty darn good for a closed headphone especially since there is no burn in at all yet.
The frequency graph showed a big mid treble hump like the DT770 pro, and that was one sibilant headphone. But strangely enough I am not hearing any sibilance here, so i guess those frequency graphs are quit misleading.

One other thing, these headphones do look silly on one's head, it is like they are build to go around a square head, there is way to much room on the sides.
So these headphones aren't made for walking around the city with, but that's something I hate anyway.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 79

Quote:
I am actually writing this while I am listening to the SRH840:D. As far as sibilance goes, there really isn't any, really none.

The sound otherwise is pretty darn good for a closed headphone especially since there is no burn in at all yet.
The frequency graph showed a big mid treble hump like the DT770 pro, and that was one sibilant headphone. But strangely enough I am not hearing any sibilance here, so i guess those frequency graphs are quit misleading.

One other thing, these headphones do look silly on one's head, it is like they are build to go around a square head, there is way to much room on the sides.
So these headphones aren't made for walking around the city with, but that's something I hate anyway.

Nice - and good to hear you're enjoying them.  They are outstanding value for money IMO.  Just don't consider 'upgrading' to SRH940.  If you like the 840's characteristics, chances are the 940's would be a let-down!

Agree with you on the shape.  it's something Shure can't seem to get right.  if they could create a fit like the Beyers, they'd have the perfect entry level H/P.

Anyway - pleased I could help.  Enjoy the Shures 
beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #9 of 79

Quote:
Nice - and good to hear you're enjoying them.  They are outstanding value for money IMO.  Just don't consider 'upgrading' to SRH940.  If you like the 840's characteristics, chances are the 940's would be a let-down!

Agree with you on the shape.  it's something Shure can't seem to get right.  if they could create a fit like the Beyers, they'd have the perfect entry level H/P.

Anyway - pleased I could help.  Enjoy the Shures 
beerchug.gif

I don't think I will upgrade anytime soon, I have the HD650 and there really is no need to upgrade (nor money).

I actually tried to bend the headband in a more oval shape but I guess it's plastic cause it didn't hold.

I am going to give these headphones a good burn in with some pink noise, and play some songs and the drums with them.

Thanks for helping!

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 79

Quote:
Since you did not like the Beyer DT 770, I suspect that you would like the Shure SRH840 better than the AT can.

Yeah I think so too, yet I am still having doubts about the SRH840, it sounds fantastic but not as fantastic as my HD650 (to be expected).

In my opinion a good closed headphone has to sit quit good on the head without falling off.
I can tell you this, the SRH840 is incredibly top heavy, and Very slippery. Simply bending over to tie my shoelaces would cause the headphones to fall off.

So I might buy the HD25-1 II again even though I kinda hated the soundstage. But there is no use in me having  a second HD650 only closed that's incredibly slippery.

I might even try some mods to make the pads less slippery.

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 79
Hmmm - if they don't suit, I'd still try the FA-003 / HM5 / Lindy.

Definitely lighter and more comfortable than the SRH840.

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #13 of 79
Comfort really is a big issue with the shures, you need exactly the right shaped head. If you've got that, they sit tight and feel like fluffy clouds of mid range goodness, if you lack that, it feels like a unicorn is balancing on you're head with a horn.

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #14 of 79

Quote:
Comfort really is a big issue with the shures, you need exactly the right shaped head. If you've got that, they sit tight and feel like fluffy clouds of mid range goodness, if you lack that, it feels like a unicorn is balancing on you're head with a horn.

Hahahaa can't shake the image of the unicorn balancing on my head XD
Anyway i decided to return the shure's, I can't take them outside, and playing the drums is pretty awkward.

I listened to the HD25-1 just now and wasn't that annoyed by the small soundstage, I actually didn't notice that much.

So I just bought the HD25-1 II again, I might even buy the fiio e7 for my on the road adventures.

If i wouldn't have had the HD650's these would be pretty awesome, now they are just redundant and useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back