Closed headphone: Shure SRH840, ATH-M50?
Feb 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #31 of 79

Quote:
I tried both the DT1350 & the HD25 last week and ended up getting the HD25. 
The DT1350's build quality is top notch and looks extremely polished and classy compared to the HD25 & the isolation is better aswell.
But when I hooked the Beyer to my rig(Clip Zip+FiiO E11) there was a loud disturbing hiss whereas with the HD25 not a single db of hiss visible.
And I liked the HD25's sound so I got it for €158.
The DT1350 was retailing for €269.

If not for the hiss, would you still have been so unequivocal in your preference for the Senn's?
Also, was there a significant difference in the SQ between the two phones (aside from the hiss)?

I'd appreciate reading your impressions, thanks.

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #32 of 79

Quote:

Yep, the 1350's.

I happened to read the innerfidelity review first and got all geared up to buy them, but every review I read after that was "iffy".  
Mostly it seems that the phones have to be perfectly positioned on the ears - they have a very small area for optimal SQ.

Seems like a lot of fiddling around and a bit of a pain.

But I may still pick up a pair, because:

>they're the closest to the HD25 1 II's that I've seen;
>I really respect Beyer as a company that knows how to make great headphones,
>innerfidelity raved about them,
>and though I'd buy with the intention of keeping them (of course), if they really lacked
value I wouldn't have an issue returning them to a merchant like e.g. Amazon.

Jude raved about the too :wink:

Even if it takes some time to position them perfectly they will stay that way considering they have a splitable headband.

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #33 of 79
You already sorted out your dilemma, but I tried the 840 and M50 at the same time and kept the 840. They do not stay put when you move around, though, as has been mentioned already. Loved 'em for a year, but basically sold them and replaced with a used pair of HD580 and also got the HD25-1 II...so we both ended up in about the same place
dt880smile.png

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #34 of 79

Quote:
You already sorted out your dilemma, but I tried the 840 and M50 at the same time and kept the 840. They do not stay put when you move around, though, as has been mentioned already. Loved 'em for a year, but basically sold them and replaced with a used pair of HD580 and also got the HD25-1 II...so we both ended up in about the same place
dt880smile.png

Pretty awesome that you managed to get your hands on a HD580! And yeah, the HD580 is very much alike the HD650 from what I have heard. But it is a pretty much unbeatable set of headphones, a legendary open senn, and a legendary closed senn! 
Do you have the velour earpads? Do you know if the velours hurt the ears less?

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #35 of 79

Quote:
Pretty awesome that you managed to get your hands on a HD580! And yeah, the HD580 is very much alike the HD650 from what I have heard. But it is a pretty much unbeatable set of headphones, a legendary open senn, and a legendary closed senn! 
Do you have the velour earpads? Do you know if the velours hurt the ears less?

Haven't tried the velour pads on the HD25, actually. I guess I should try them out. The big velours on the HD580/600/650 are pretty much heaven, though. I thought the SRH840 pads were comfy, but the HD580 wins in overall fit hands down.

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #36 of 79

Quote:

If not for the hiss, would you still have been so unequivocal in your preference for the Senn's?
Also, was there a significant difference in the SQ between the two phones (aside from the hiss)?

I'd appreciate reading your impressions, thanks.

Always happy to help!!
The DT1350 was more fitting and comfortable for me than the HD25s. 
I was really amazed by this because every other review/comparison states that the Beyer is less comfy and finicky than the HD25.
The Beyer was more neutral/analytical and a bit dark whilst the HD25 was bright and has a punchier bass.
Mind you I've never listened to the HD25 or the DT1350 prior to this purchase & I was favoring both but wanted to get the one that suited me.
I also chose the HD25 'cause every part of it can be replaced in case of damage/wear and can be custom painted(http://www.customcans.co.uk/blog/)
And many Head-Fiers agree that a high quality aftermarket cable boosts/changes the HD25's sound signature
http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd25-1-balanced/

I wanted a headphone which sounds good & lasts long so I went for the HD25 and it was less pricy.
Check Mike's opinion below for more detailed comparison:
http://www.headfonia.com/beyerdynamic-dt1350-death-to-the-hd25-1/

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #37 of 79
I just got the senn HD25-1 II and I already love the sound without any burn-in. What I first hated in my first pair, the small soundstage, is completely gone.

I actually think the soundstage is quit good for that small a headphone, maybe something was wrong with my first pair?!?

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #38 of 79

Quote:
I just got the senn HD25-1 II and I already love the sound without any burn-in. What I first hated in my first pair, the small soundstage, is completely gone.

I actually think the soundstage is quit good for that small a headphone, maybe something was wrong with my first pair?!?

The HD25 is my first true Hi-Fi headphone. The clarity is just unbelievable!!
Strings just resonate inside my head
atsmile.gif

makes me wonder what will happen if go higher...

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #39 of 79

Quote:

The HD25 is my first true Hi-Fi headphone. The clarity is just unbelievable!!
Strings just resonate inside my head
atsmile.gif

makes me wonder what will happen if go higher...

Don't worry about going higher, I actually think buying more expensive headphones won't help you enjoy the music more.

Spend the money on more music instead!

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #40 of 79

Quote:
Don't worry about going higher, I actually think buying more expensive headphones won't help you enjoy the music more.

Spend the money on more music instead!

Yeah well its true!
But I do need a better portable player. My clip zip sometimes acts crazy & playlist support is fiddly!
as for music, I never download. I always buy CDs & rip them.
Here in france we get a nice deal on older albums: 4 cds for €20.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #41 of 79

Quote:
Yeah well its true!
But I do need a better portable player. My clip zip sometimes acts crazy & playlist support is fiddly!
as for music, I never download. I always buy CDs & rip them.
Here in france we get a nice deal on older albums: 4 cds for €20.

Hmm I am actually thinking about getting a more powerfull portable player myself. The fiio e7 might be a nice addition to my iphone, but having two pretty large devices isn't that portable anymore.

What were you thinking about buying?

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #42 of 79

Quote:
Consider Fischer Audio Fa-003 / Brainwavz HM5

Reviews here : http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones/reviews

Should cover all your bases.

For contrast -  I owned SRH 840 and consider HM5 more balanced overall (both great headphones though).  HM5 also beats the SRH840 on longer term comfort.  I didn't like the M50 - too V shaped.  It will meet your bass needs - but highs may be too much for you.  Overall I think HM5 is prtetty close to what you are looking for.

I second these, crisp highs, tight bass, very light, thought it is big, great sound stage for a closed headphone, and has been compared to the HD600, if you like neutral sound, these are it!

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #43 of 79

Quote:

Always happy to help!!
The DT1350 was more fitting and comfortable for me than the HD25s. 
I was really amazed by this because every other review/comparison states that the Beyer is less comfy and finicky than the HD25.
The Beyer was more neutral/analytical and a bit dark whilst the HD25 was bright and has a punchier bass.
Mind you I've never listened to the HD25 or the DT1350 prior to this purchase & I was favoring both but wanted to get the one that suited me.
I also chose the HD25 'cause every part of it can be replaced in case of damage/wear and can be custom painted(http://www.customcans.co.uk/blog/)
And many Head-Fiers agree that a high quality aftermarket cable boosts/changes the HD25's sound signature
http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd25-1-balanced/

I wanted a headphone which sounds good & lasts long so I went for the HD25 and it was less pricy.
Check Mike's opinion below for more detailed comparison:
http://www.headfonia.com/beyerdynamic-dt1350-death-to-the-hd25-1/

Many thanks for sharing that information and for the links as well.

Very helpful.

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #45 of 79

Quote:
Yup, all the noobs came in and recommended them to everyone even people wanting $50-$400.

Now, I may not be an "experienced" as other people, but I think you're just downing them for the sake of putting down the "noobs" imo. They're very solid headphones, it's not like they're beats or anything, sure they're more expensive now by like 20 bucks, but that's it. They're fun to listen to, and yea, they might not be THE BEST in their category, but they certainly are good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back