Closed headphone: Shure SRH840, ATH-M50?
Feb 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #17 of 79
Yup, all the noobs came in and recommended them to everyone even people wanting $50-$400.

Quote:

I am hearing more and more bad news about the m50's, was it some sort of noob hype that made the m50's so insanely populair?

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #18 of 79

Quote:
Yup, all the noobs came in and recommended them to everyone even people wanting $50-$400.

Yup, pretty much what happened.  A year ago, when the only decent headphones I'd ever heard were the m50's, they sounded amazing.  That plus the fact that they were closed headphones made them seem the like best of every world.  It's only with comparison with other headphones that you realize the mid-range is a bit recessed, the highs a bit strong, and the bass could be a bit tighter (compared to grado's they are noticably boomy).  Right now, if I were to buy another headphone in the same  price-range, I probably would lean more towards buying the sr-80i or something along those lines because they fit my listening preferences a bit better (I listen to a lot of rock / alternative rock).  

Obviously the best thing to do is to actually audition the headphones yourself: I didn't think I would like the grado sound signature from what most people's review were saying, and it wasn't until I heard them for the first time that I realized how they fit the sound signature of certain kinds of music.  

The m-50's are not a bad pair of headphones - they work for most types of music, but they aren't the holy grail of the $100-200 headphones either.  They are definitely v shaped, although the newer ones are a bit more balanced.  One thing that I can say is that the m-50 can get a bit fatiguing physically - even though i've stretched them out plenty and it no longer feels like my head is in a vice, my ears still get very hot, and the pleather earpads can get uncomfortably sweaty after 2-3 hours of wearing.  On the other hand, they DO make excellent ear-warmers when walking outside in sub-zero weather :). I can't comment on the sr840 because I've never heard it before.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #19 of 79

Quote:

I am hearing more and more bad news about the m50's, was it some sort of noob hype that made the m50's so insanely populair?

Quote:

Quote:
Yup, pretty much what happened.  A year ago, when the only decent headphones I'd ever heard were the m50's, they sounded amazing.  That plus the fact that they were closed headphones made them seem the like best of every world.  It's only with comparison with other headphones that you realize the mid-range is a bit recessed, the highs a bit strong, and the bass could be a bit tighter (compared to grado's they are noticably boomy).  Right now, if I were to buy another headphone in the same  price-range, I probably would lean more towards buying the sr-80i or something along those lines because they fit my listening preferences a bit better (I listen to a lot of rock / alternative rock).  

Obviously the best thing to do is to actually audition the headphones yourself: I didn't think I would like the grado sound signature from what most people's review were saying, and it wasn't until I heard them for the first time that I realized how they fit the sound signature of certain kinds of music.  

The m-50's are not a bad pair of headphones - they work for most types of music, but they aren't the holy grail of the $100-200 headphones either.  They are definitely v shaped, although the newer ones are a bit more balanced.  One thing that I can say is that the m-50 can get a bit fatiguing physically - even though i've stretched them out plenty and it no longer feels like my head is in a vice, my ears still get very hot, and the pleather earpads can get uncomfortably sweaty after 2-3 hours of wearing.  On the other hand, they DO make excellent ear-warmers when walking outside in sub-zero weather :). I can't comment on the sr840 because I've never heard it before.

It may have been some sort of 'noob hype',
but I think other factors played a more important role in the popularity of the ATH M50.

For a long time, they could be had for just over $100 shipped.

I bought mine from B&H for $115, and they were pretty much the same price everywhere.

At that price point, they weren't the 'holy grail of the 100-200 range' 
instead they were 'a very good closed headphone for just over $100'.

There really wasn't much competition at the time.

Available at the price were the skull-compressing Senn 280, and the long time leader in that
group, the Sony 7506.

The KRK 6400, 8400, and Shure 840 hadn't been released yet IIRC.
Nor had the M Audio Q40.

The Ultrasone 780 were 249., and the
Denon 2000 were solidly at 349 (unlike today, when J&R is 
reportedly selling them for 210 -- an amazing deal BTW).

So, when the ATH M50 came onto the market, they were a real option
in the closed headphone category for just over $100.
Well made, reasonably comfortable, good sounding phones from a respected company.

The landscape's changed a lot since then. 
The ATH-M50's sell for about $150 these days (of course if you dig you can find them for less, but still...),
there are new phones available, and older models have come down significantly in price.

More competition, in short, is the main reason why the M50's aren't 'automatic' any longer.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #20 of 79

Quote:
One other thing, these headphones do look silly on one's head, it is like they are build to go around a square head, there is way to much room on the sides.
So these headphones aren't made for walking around the city with, but that's something I hate anyway.

They truly look ridiculous. I bought them for the express purpose of public transportation, and while Im not really concerned with racking up style points anymore, I feel stupid wearing them in public.

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #21 of 79

Quote:
They truly look ridiculous. I bought them for the express purpose of public transportation, and while Im not really concerned with racking up style points anymore, I feel stupid wearing them in public.

My girlfriend didn't think they were that ugly, she said she thinks they are kinda retro.

I still think they are quite ugly (on the head, of the head they are gorgeous!) but they are still less ugly then how awkward they feel, being top heavy and slippery.

Do you wear them in public much? And walk around with it?

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #22 of 79
I don't think the M50's are that bad. I kind of like them, actually. I wouldn't pay full retail for them right now, but at their original price, or pre-owned price, they're worthwhile in my opinion. The sound is V shaped, but it's not like a crevasse in a glacier or anything, just a warm valley. 

In comparison, I have the SRH440s - not exactly the 840 but I've read that without amping, the 840 is very similar to the 440 (take with grain of salt.) They don't extend all the way up and down like the M50's but I feel like it's more detailed, where every hit and note has a clear beginning and end. I don't think they're sibilant.. I think all of the frequencies are presented fairly evenly. The sound stage isn't huge but it's just as good as your typical PC speakers aiming at your head and I don't ever feel like the sound is squished against my ear. This is compared to some cheaper Sennheiser 428's which sounded like how a cubist painting might sound which, after an hour's worth of listening to, switching back to PC speakers made them sound like a live performance in an outdoor venue. With my Shures, they sound about as expansive as my speakers so there's no stage shock going in between. 

So that's why I like my 440's, but I think what's more applicable to the thread is RE: use for drumming and portable. 

For those two, I say look elsewhere than the Shure 8/440's. They don't isolate as well as the ATH-M50, and the cable is long and thick. The thick cable is nice for home, but they don't stay in a manageable package very well, and being long (stock cable is a 10 ft coiled cable.. not great for portability) they tend to get everywhere. It'd be okay I think if you're ~6 ft tall, sagging your cargos a little bit and keeping your player in the lowest pocket and running the cable under a sweater. Also, they don't clamp extremely well, so leaning too far one way or the other (tying shoes for instance... or limbo-ing) will inspire doubt in its ability to stay on, plus, without any modding, they're on the portly side, without much good cushioning. I haven't heard the 750DJ but I imagine they'd be better all around for those two. Enhanced bass and highs though. 

I love my headphones at home, but at this point I'd rather sacrifice the SQ and run ibuds when out and about. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #23 of 79

Quote:
I don't think the M50's are that bad. I kind of like them, actually. I wouldn't pay full retail for them right now, but at their original price, or pre-owned price, they're worthwhile in my opinion. The sound is V shaped, but it's not like a crevasse in a glacier or anything, just a warm valley. 

In comparison, I have the SRH440s - not exactly the 840 but I've read that without amping, the 840 is very similar to the 440 (take with grain of salt.) They don't extend all the way up and down like the M50's but I feel like it's more detailed, where every hit and note has a clear beginning and end. I don't think they're sibilant.. I think all of the frequencies are presented fairly evenly. The sound stage isn't huge but it's just as good as your typical PC speakers aiming at your head and I don't ever feel like the sound is squished against my ear. This is compared to some cheaper Sennheiser 428's which sounded like how a cubist painting might sound which, after an hour's worth of listening to, switching back to PC speakers made them sound like a live performance in an outdoor venue. With my Shures, they sound about as expansive as my speakers so there's no stage shock going in between. 

So that's why I like my 440's, but I think what's more applicable to the thread is RE: use for drumming and portable. 

For those two, I say look elsewhere than the Shure 8/440's. They don't isolate as well as the ATH-M50, and the cable is long and thick. The thick cable is nice for home, but they don't stay in a manageable package very well, and being long (stock cable is a 10 ft coiled cable.. not great for portability) they tend to get everywhere. It'd be okay I think if you're ~6 ft tall, sagging your cargos a little bit and keeping your player in the lowest pocket and running the cable under a sweater. Also, they don't clamp extremely well, so leaning too far one way or the other (tying shoes for instance... or limbo-ing) will inspire doubt in its ability to stay on, plus, without any modding, they're on the portly side, without much good cushioning. I haven't heard the 750DJ but I imagine they'd be better all around for those two. Enhanced bass and highs though. 

I love my headphones at home, but at this point I'd rather sacrifice the SQ and run ibuds when out and about. 

You are absolutely right, the 840's aren't meant for any application where there is movement, that is why I bought the HD25-1 II, again.
I listened to the HD25-1's in the shop today and what I used to hate about these phones was the tiny soundstage, but I seriously wasn't bothered by it today.
It actually sounded pretty good to me, maybe because I appreciate the seperation more than I used too. 
Plus I think any over the ear headphone is not really the best solution for portable use. I also don''t like earbuds and IEM's so on the ear headphone's it is :)

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #24 of 79
I have both of them and i must say go for the 840..The sound is over all way better i think more balanced and with more control...If you want some massive bass there is better cans to choose from, but great over all SQ the 840 is the winner for me..You can do various mods to the M50 like dynamat/ blu tack the cups and so on to make the bass sound more controlled..It´s still v-shaped.

For portable use the m50 might be the better choice since it sits on your head alot tighter.

Both the M50 and 840 have coiled cables ( the S version of the m50 has straight very long cable ) The cable on the shures is maby a meter long when its not streched out.

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #25 of 79
I think a better option for drums might be the Shure SRH750DJ. 

These have a LOT more bass impact than the thin sounding 840.  I only needed 20 minutes of testing at my local Guitar Center to know the 840 were not providing the sound I liked when compared to my Denon D5000 or M50 closed cans.  The 750DJ version were much better to me, and I love drums and percusion.  I was listening to these while playing various synthesizers and drum machines.  I was able to swap out the 840 and use them with the exact same equipment, and the 750 sounded much better to me, especially with the drums. 

Granted, the sounds that I was messing around with were mostly deep bass and big thumps.

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #26 of 79

Quote:

These have a LOT more bass impact than the thin sounding 840.  I only needed 20 minutes of testing at my local Guitar Center to know the 840 were not providing the sound I liked when compared to my Denon D5000 or M50 closed cans.  The 750DJ version were much better to me, and I love drums and percusion.  I was listening to these while playing various synthesizers and drum machines.  I was able to swap out the 840 and use them with the exact same equipment, and the 750 sounded much better to me, especially with the drums. 

Granted, the sounds that I was messing around with were mostly deep bass and big thumps.

That probably would have been a better choice, but I don't think they can beat the HD25's especially with the headband split these things won't ever fall off.
And the HD25 are really really small :D

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #27 of 79
The Sennheiser HD25 1 II are my phones for portable use, and have been for awhile.
I don't know of anything that compares for that purpose
Before them I used the AT ATH ES7

I'd like to find something other than the HD25.  Although I like them  a lot,
just something with a different sound would be nice
 - about the same size, build and sound quality -.

Was considering the new Beyer's but the reviews are very inconsistent...

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #28 of 79

Quote:

Quote:
The Sennheiser HD25 1 II are my phones for portable use, and have been for awhile.
I don't know of anything that compares for that purpose
Before them I used the AT ATH ES7

I'd like to find something other than the HD25.  Although I like them  a lot,
just something with a different sound would be nice
 - about the same size, build and sound quality -.

Was considering the new Beyer's but the reviews are very inconsistent...

You mean the beyer DT 1350's ? I have heard incredible things from pro's like innerfidelity about these headphones.
They are more expensive though

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #29 of 79
I tried both the DT1350 & the HD25 last week and ended up getting the HD25. 
The DT1350's build quality is top notch and looks extremely polished and classy compared to the HD25 & the isolation is better aswell.
But when I hooked the Beyer to my rig(Clip Zip+FiiO E11) there was a loud disturbing hiss whereas with the HD25 not a single db of hiss visible.
And I liked the HD25's sound so I got it for €158.
The DT1350 was retailing for €269.

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #30 of 79

Quote:

You mean the beyer DT 1350's ? I have heard incredible things from pro's like innerfidelity about these headphones.
They are more expensive though

Yep, the 1350's.

I happened to read the innerfidelity review first and got all geared up to buy them, but every review I read after that was "iffy".  
Mostly it seems that the phones have to be perfectly positioned on the ears - they have a very small area for optimal SQ.

Seems like a lot of fiddling around and a bit of a pain.

But I may still pick up a pair, because:

>they're the closest to the HD25 1 II's that I've seen;
>I really respect Beyer as a company that knows how to make great headphones,
>innerfidelity raved about them,
>and though I'd buy with the intention of keeping them (of course), if they really lacked
value I wouldn't have an issue returning them to a merchant like e.g. Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back