Closed cans - having fun looking but I'd like your opinion(s)
Oct 31, 2007 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

zombieDave

500+ Head-Fier
Hey folks,

I need a pair of closed cans (not IEMs!!!) and I've been doing my research, but it never seems like enough and it gets scary to pull the trigger. Here are my "stats":

I have a pair of older re-cabled DT880's and love 'em, they're my best cans. A pair of modded to the max SR60's are my fun cans. A pair of PX100's are my cheapest and most-used cans. I listen primarily to alt folk/alt rock and all my rigs are transportable - vintage PCDP's mated w/nice portable amps via DIY IC's made by Head-Fi's finest.

I'd like the closed cans I decide on to sound as good as my DT880's (or better), and I'll spend the money necessary to achieve that. Isolation is my priority (but I don't want active noise-cancellation) and, because I'm spoiled by my DT880's, comfort is second on my list of necessary features. *Whatever I choose will be mated with my rig consisting of a Sony D-321 attached via a DIYer SPC IC to a Tomahawk. I 'spose that's a pretty big factor...

Right now my 3 choices are (in no particular order):
Beyer DT250-80
AKG K271S
Sennheiser HD25-1-II
If you think I should also look at something else entirely, please let me know.

Please don't scream at me for not using the search feature because I did. I just want to hear what you folks have to say on this matter. Have fun spending my money!
wink.gif
Thanks in advance.

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 21
Well, OK. When I was going through what you are, the first realization I had was that making closed cans sound good was a harder task than open ones, and that therefore I had to spend MORE, not less, to get the same quality of closed ones. So I sniffed around a bit, and not having any really great phones and a little too much money at that instant, decided on Ultrasone Edition 9s, and I haven't been a bit unhappy doing that.

But I realize you might not want to spend that much. Two possibilities closer to your price range are Denons and ATs closed things. I'm pretty impressed with the Denon D2000, on paper ("on the web", that is) and the AT W1000, on paper.

I wonder what others will say about this.

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 21
Um . . . anybody else wanna' chime in? I've also added to my list:
-Ultrasone HFI-700
-Denon AH-D2000 (thanks to the last & only respondent)
And I'm thinkin' I like what I'm reading about these 2 sets over the 3 pairs in my OP. Please give me some impressions if you own the cans I'm considering. Please?

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 21
Both the Denon's and ultrasone hfi-700's have strong bass. I don't know what the bass is like on the 880's.

I have the Denon's and I love them, but they offer little or no isolation. When I'm out in public, outside noise often interfers with the music.

I'm going to do the sponge mod, hopefully that will solve some of the isolation problems.

Some positive points about the hfi-700's that i didn't consider when I was buying my headphones are: the hfi 700's fold flat, or into a ball, so they are much easier to put in your backpack. Also I think ultrasones isolate better. Also being plastic, they may be more durable then the diecast magnesium frame on the denons. (this applies for all ultrasones) I wish my denon's folded flat for easy transport. The denon's however are very highly rated on head-fi.

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 21
Isolation really is a huge factor here because after experiencing what IEMs can do (as far as blocking out EVERYTHING!!!) I've been spoiled. I know I cannot quite match that, but I don't have to settle for something like the Denon's great SQ w/out much isolation because I have great SQ with my DT880's (but no isolation).

I'm still looking & looking still - here, on manufacturer's websites, and online retailers - and keep ending up trying to decide between the Ultrasone HFI-700's, Senn HD-1-II's, or the AKG K271S's - and it's getting frustrating and not so much fun...

I definitely want something in the upper-end, so there's no buyer's remorse, but must have the isolation + quality SQ & lower impedence for use with that Tomahawk of mine!

Thanks so far, folks. Please keep the humble opinions coming... [size=medium]zD[/size]

Nov 3, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #8 of 21
Yo zD!

In the same position as you...going nuts trying to decide. I basically want to end up with a solid choice for open, closed, and IEMs. I think I have the other two figured out...but the closed cans have been giving me fits.

If I were to make my choice today...I'd buy the Ultrasone HFI 700s. I've just read too many good things about them and they seem to fit all of my requirements. The only thing that sort of bugs me is the look...seem like they have a gold-ish finish that does not appeal to me...but hey, it's about the sound and isolation, so I am more than willing to overlook that
smily_headphones1.gif

The only other pair I come back to are the AKG 271S...but I think that the US is supposed to pack a better bass punch which is appealing to me.

Still open to hear what others have to say as well!

RIDE

Nov 3, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 21
Thanks folks!

Ride, that bronze finish is one of the reasons I'm a bit turned off by the Ultrasones, as well! Maybe I . . . er, we should get over it and concentrate on SQ.

Bowra, I love my DT880's, so the DT250's are real contenders...

Smitty, I've only heard a mid-level AT can and didn't like it at all, so I'd be very afraid to buy an AT can w/out auditioning it first.

I just wish I knew if my choice had synergy w/my Tomahawk, 'cause I don't wanna get rid of it. I went back & researched "Tomahawk synergy" yesterday and can't believe people use it (Toma) w/full-size high-impedance cans and enjoy the sound. I tried it w/my DT880's a few times and thought it sounded weak. Low impedance (or kinda low...)is a must for my closed-can choice!

Thanks all, keep the opinions & impressions coming, please! [size=medium] zD[/size]

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 21
I prefer the Senn HD-25-1 II to the Denon D2000. I have only had the Senn's for a short while but in SQ, comfort and ergonomics I think they are superior to the Denons. That being said, I will still be keeping my Denons as well as my Beyer leather padded EA RP21's (With the cost of the leather pads I paid the same for the RP21's as the Senns).

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 21
what's your reason for not wanting IEMs, I only ask because you want zero leak which is what IEMs are good for. Also the only thing that matches/surpasses the clarity of the dt880 is the etymotic ER-4P/S, atleast if you are talking about reasonably priced phones.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #13 of 21
I currently own two closed cans: Equation Eartool RP21 and Audio Technica ATH W1000. They sell at two very different price points, the RP21 can be found new for about $100 and the W1000 can be bought for about $370. Of course sales tax or S&H would be additional for an approximate total price of $110 and $400.

It would not be fair to compare the two cans and I will not. Instead I will say that at their price both are fantastic, IMO the RP21 is the better "deal" due to its great sound combined w/ such a low price. There are two mods that I would do on the RP21, first I would contact Beyer and get their velour or the leather pads available for the 2005 DT990. When it arrives I would remove the foam that is in front of the driver and I would use the foam that arrives w/ the Beyer pad. You will improve the highs and if you use the leather pad it will tighten the bass. The velour pad will tame the bass a bit but IMO it is more comfortable since I tend to sweat w/ pleather or leather pads. Two hundred hours of burn in is recommended.

The W1000 has a very "elegant and sophisticated" sound. It excels in clarity, detail, extension, wide soundstage, and micro detail presentation. It is not a bass-head can but what it has is very clean and punchy. I will add that this can should be burn in for about 250 to 300 hours.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 21
I hope to have the ATH-ESW9 in hand either today or Monday from pricejapan and will provide another out of the box impression of those with my Xin Reference beta...and iMod 5g.

The ATH-ANC7s that i have are very good for a portable with noise cancellation and at a good price point today of around 120-130$.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombieDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks folks!

Ride, that bronze finish is one of the reasons I'm a bit turned off by the Ultrasones, as well! Maybe I . . . er, we should get over it and concentrate on SQ.

Thanks all, keep the opinions & impressions coming, please! [size=medium] zD[/size]

Just stumbled on these pics in the big Ultrasone thread...and there seems to be hope! I imagine that these will be the latest incarnation of the HFI 700s...so it appears that the appearance has been addressed!

The pics were taken from this post: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...postcount=4623

I just may wait until this newest version is released!

RIDE

new_hfi780.jpg

new_hfi780_2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back