Closed cans - having fun looking but I'd like your opinion(s)
Nov 3, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #16 of 21
Hi guys (& girls?),

Thanks for all the impressions & opinions, it's all appreciated!

RIDE, you're killin' me with those pics (those Ultra's are beautiful) 'cause I want the new cans asap, not in January!

Kg21 - I don't like sticking things in my ears and need to avoid IEM's, that's why I sold my Etys this week. I wish I did like 'em, 'cause they isolate so well.

Slwiser & mrarroyo, you're convincing me to take another look at AT products. I like some of what I read about Equations but, as I stated earlier, I'd like this new set of cans to be truly hi-end so I won't be looking to upgrade any time soon. I'm not convinced I'd like Equations more than my modded-to-the-max Grado's.

I've shortened my list of possible candidates to:
- Beyer DT250-80
- Senn HD25-1-II
- Audio Technica ATH-A700

I love my DT880's so the Beyers are prob a wise choice for me. I'm not aware of any mods I'd be tempted to spend more money on after purchase, although I'd prob want a hi-quality mini-plug to replace the stock one. Plus, their 80 ohm impedance would allow me to keep the Tomahawk's gain set at "low".

I like the Senns because I won't be tempted to recable 'em - the stock cable is nice & short for portable/transportable use. I may want a hi-quality mini-plug, though. Their 70 ohm impedance & need to synergize w/my Toma looks hopeful, as well. I'm a big fan of my PX100's, so I know I like the Senn sound sig, like I enjoy the Beyer sound sig. In fact, I'm listening to my Nano/PX100 combo as I type this!

Reputable members like mrarroyo recommending AT cans has convinced me to give this brand another listen. I cannot, for the life of me, remember which model AT cans I auditioned last year and bought a pair of Grado SR60's over, but I must be missing something that only their higher-end models can offer. I like the look of their ATH-A700, like the 64 ohm imp. rating, but feel I'd need a complete re-cable after reading about others who've enjoyed their AT cans after doing so. At the very least, I'd need to shorten the cable length to ~ 4 feet and add a hi-end mini-plug to add to it's portability.

With this said, does anybody have anything else to add? For instance, which one of the above isolates better? Who includes the superior cable (so I can re-think re-cabling w/Mini-Quad or a similar higher-end product?) [size=small][size=medium]zD[/size][/size]

Nov 29, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #19 of 21
I'm also looking for closed cans in the $150 - $300 range. Have any of you considered the Ultrasone PROline 550 and PROline 650?

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombieDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's their isolation, bowra? And yes, curly cable = good (short when I want it to be and long when I need it to be!)

Sorry, I never got back to this thread till now.

Doesn't isolate a lot but enough for me as I use them in bed. If my son is beside me I can hear his voice but not what he is saying. The other night he was asleep with his head on my shoulder & I could hear him snoring (couldn't really tell what is was till I took the headphones off).

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #21 of 21
how about K81dj or RP-21 ? it's closed and portable too...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back