Closed back over-ear headphone for Metal music around 250$ (SOLVED!!)
Jan 31, 2022 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

KaneMaxxx

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Sorry for the long post (and apology as it's my first one).I want to ask some help to find a good spec of over ear headphone to listen my favourite music's.
I've browsed tons of articles
  • Head.fi forum
  • Other forums
  • Youtube
  • Facebook groups,
  • Amazon reviews
but when i've found something to fit my taste and requirement, then blocked into walls with product quality (plastic frame demolished shortly, snapped cable, loosing sound on left/right side) or music quality (lack of bass, harsh highs).

I had an Audio-Technica AVC500 for few month (burned in) in the past + cheap iem with spinfit CP100 tips + a Tempotec sonata V iOS/Android version <<link >>
I've also got Tidal Hi-fi Subscription for Hi-Res music to listen + Apple Music (trial)
Devices which using for listening music:
  • laptop
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab S5E
  • Iphone 12 Pro
I mainly listen Power Metal and Symphonic Metal , Melodic , Death music, sometimes 1%-5% EDM. Mainly looking for a fit to power and Symphonic.
Few examples:
  • Nightwish
  • Lordi
  • Arch Enemy
  • Within Temptation
  • PowerWolf
  • Orden Ogan
  • Children of Bodom
  • Kalmah
  • Axell Rudi Pell
  • Metalite / Amaranthe
  • Brothers of Metal
  • Sabathon
  • Majestica
Hence the good reviews of the Audio-Technica AVC 500 i was not satisfied with the music quality which i've expected. It was lack of bass and bit harsh highs, which i've managed to adjust with EQ.

Due there is a baby around the house the only option which i can consider is Closed-back headphones.
Yes i know open ones perform considerably better, but currently i had no choice.
Don't need to be portable, long cable don't bother me.
I had a big head with big ears, so comfortability is also want to consider.

My budget is 250$ (+10% max). // even more if i sell my Tempotec dac, but not a lot)

I've checked the following products from forums and want to ask some other recommendation from more experienced users :
- Audio-Technica M series (30/40/50x) | UltraSone HFI 580i/780i | Sony MDR-7506 | AKG k271/275/K52/K361/K371 | Sennheiser HD280 pro / HD569 / Momentum 1-2-3 series | Denon Ah-110 | Beyer Dynamic DT770/770Pro 880/880pro series | Shure SRH840 | SuperLux HD681F | HD668B series + few OneOdio wireless series.

I was spend hours and hours to find something not flat and with nice bass & not ear killer harsh highs. No, not interested in Beats series or similar extreme bass boosted headphones, just want to enjoy the "show". I like the bass a lot, but don't want to sacrifice the guitars, vocal or other instruments. Orden Ogan - F.E.V.E.R is a good demonstration song, or Majestica - Above the sky.

Currently considered an Denon-HP1100 .

If it's possible please note Pro/Cons on your suggestion.
Many thanks for every comment.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 8
I was looking for similar HP in that price bracket.
I tested some and found the Beyer 770 pro (although the beyerpeak was too harsh - but since i do EQ it was not a dealbreaker) and the AKG 371 (which i bought) to be very outstanding.

Then i discovered 7200 and 6xx which conpletely replaced the AKG 371 usage for me (i consider selling the 371). But the Denon is way more expensive (though worth the extra charge).
There is also the new Beyer pro x 700.
I would suggest testing them side by side in a store (if possible). Big plus of 700 over 770 is replacable cable.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 8
I was looking for similar HP in that price bracket.
I tested some and found the Beyer 770 pro (although the beyerpeak was too harsh - but since i do EQ it was not a dealbreaker) and the AKG 371 (which i bought) to be very outstanding.

Then i discovered 7200 and 6xx which conpletely replaced the AKG 371 usage for me (i consider selling the 371). But the Denon is way more expensive (though worth the extra charge).
There is also the new Beyer pro x 700.
I would suggest testing them side by side in a store (if possible). Big plus of 700 over 770 is replacable cable.
The denon is far away from my budget. :frowning2:
How is the 371 for metal? Does it have decent bass and need eq’d it?
How is the 6xx? Have you got a product link for it?
Thanks

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 8
The denon is far away from my budget. :frowning2:
How is the 371 for metal? Does it have decent bass and need eq’d it?
How is the 6xx? Have you got a product link for it?
Thanks
I'm on mobile internet via phone right now because my cable connection is disrupted (screw vodafone!). so i cant browse the internet at the mom.

the akg k371 is decent for metal and a decent allrounder i'd say, plus portability and lightweight. i only eq it very little. also has a good tonality and decent timbre for a closed-back.

if you like the harman frequency curve, this is for you. you may lookup harman curve on the internet (its a generalised consumer preference curve).

about budget.. yes i know. i began there not long ago as well, but it started expanding after i discovered what a musical bliss hifi headphones can give you *looking at you sundara* (but thats an open-back). i need to slow down though, to avoid diminishing returns.

also the 6xx is an open-back so probably not for you as well.

maybe the denon 5200, which is a bit cheaper. you could try to look for sale or b-stock (return if you dislike it).

thats it from my side, good luck with your search.

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm on mobile internet via phone right now because my cable connection is disrupted (screw vodafone!). so i cant browse the internet at the mom.

the akg k371 is decent for metal and a decent allrounder i'd say, plus portability and lightweight. i only eq it very little. also has a good tonality and decent timbre for a closed-back.

if you like the harman frequency curve, this is for you. you may lookup harman curve on the internet (its a generalised consumer preference curve).

about budget.. yes i know. i began there not long ago as well, but it started expanding after i discovered what a musical bliss hifi headphones can give you *looking at you sundara* (but thats an open-back). i need to slow down though, to avoid diminishing returns.

also the 6xx is an open-back so probably not for you as well.

maybe the denon 5200, which is a bit cheaper. you could try to look for sale or b-stock (return if you dislike it).

thats it from my side, good luck with your search.
Thank you , will do a few more research, had time to search for find the closest.

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #6 of 8
Feb 3, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for everyone. Finally sticked with the Denon-HP1100 . Just amazing after 2 days of usage. Factory pad is bit tight, but Brainwavz replacement pads on the way.

Feb 3, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 8
I cant endorse the Drop + Beyerdynamic DT177x GO for metal music any more, I have them and absolutely love them. Crunchy fast bass with the leather pads and so detailed. Look for them in classifieds here or on AVexchange, you can usually find them for around $250, I found mine on facebook marketplace for $240

Users who are viewing this thread

Back