Closed-back headphones for under $120??
Oct 24, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #16 of 22

Quote:
I would have recommended those, but he said he didn't want "big" headphones, but it seems the M50's would have been fine, since he went with the HD280's

Let us know how they go! The headphone thing is a journey (look at my sig...). If the HD280 doesn't work out, the M50 is still too large, the AKG and Sennheiser I mentioned are still good choices. They actually isolate very well and even at medium-high volumes there is no sound leakage.

Good luck!

I will, I should receive them in the mail tomorrow..I will most likely spend the whole day listening to them to "break them in" i guess. There were literally 10 cans I had high interst in but I did more research and got more feedback on the Senns so that was my deciding factor. I know they won't last forever so when the time comes I'll purchase a different set of phones. The M50 was one of my top choices actaully so that might be my next set in the future. We will see.

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #17 of 22
Ever heard of the Sony XB series? More bass quantity than most if not all the others mentioned here... You'll need that to bring out the bass from the iPod since the EQ doesn't do so well with that. Some of the most comfortable earpads you'll ever feel too... Check out the XB 300, 500, and 700, depending on how large you want it to be.

Oct 24, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #18 of 22

Quote:
I don't know what pair of skullcandy's he had, but both the 280's and M50's will be bass lean in comparrison. Perhaps the M50's have a little more punch. The M50's are barely $100 these days too, which is a nice price drop.

Can you just clarify what you mean by "lean"...I've heard the term thrown around a lot and I don't know what to think of it. Is it good or bad?

Oct 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #19 of 22
don't get the xb300 if you ever go toward the XB's series.  Seriously.

The XB series are nice, but the M50 are more balance and controlled while still remaining the thump. 

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #20 of 22
"lean" used on Headfi typically means light, not heavy; meager... no excess. Lean bass would be in the opposite direction of Heavy bass (kind of like someone with a lean body, and someone with a heavy body)

Realatively speaking, if something sounds bass lean to a user, it means it has less bass when compared to some of their other gear, which may or may not be neutral. ex: I have of headphone with extra bass, if I listen to something that doesn't have an emphasis on the bass as well, it will sound 'lean' in comparison, or, If I have a flat sounding headphone (again, no emphasis on any particular frequency) and I listen to an earbud, the earbud sounds 'lean.

Quote:
Can you just clarify what you mean by "lean"...I've heard the term thrown around a lot and I don't know what to think of it. Is it good or bad?

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #21 of 22
You could get a Koss PRO3AA headphone. They are closed back with good pumpin' bass with nice treble and detail with good mids as well, and best of all they can be had for $40. The Ipod can drive them effortlessly as well. They aren't high end headphones, but on the lower side of mid-fi, but are really awesome for the amount of money you pay.

Other's have mentioned the ATH-M50, which IMO is the best sealed headphone out there in that price range. It would be a great alternative as well.

Oct 25, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #22 of 22
Ok so I just got the HD280s in the mail this morning and here's a few negatives that I noticed right away: My small size 7 head is absolutely dominated by these cans..I look like an astronaut, it's pretty funny actually. But I am now totally discouraged to wear these things in public. Also I was quite surprised how tight of a fit they are, considering my puny head. Hopefully that will change as I wear them more often. They do feel quite heavy after about 30 min

Other than those few things, I absolutely love these phones. The sound quality is amazing!! And for those who replied to this thread saying the HD280's were lacking in bass should rethink that. They might sound lighter on the bass directly compared to other phones, but they certainly pack a little punch. When I played songs that naturally have a strong amount of bass (Bass Head by Bassnectar for example) they bumped pretty well.

Anyways, those are my first reactions..I'll try to keep this thread updated for those who might be interested in the HD280s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back