Closed-back headphone recommendations please
Jun 21, 2018 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

hazmat

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. For use at work, I need some new closed back headphones for running directly out of my Mac mini. I'm not terribly concerned about price. Audio quality is most important for me. I guess I'd consider myself on the low end of audiophile. I like very neutral sound with very crisp highs. The biggest problem for me, though, is fit. I have a relatively small head. I tried a pair of AKG K550 and they were too big; they slid down the tops of my ears. I also have to try Audio Technica M40x and Sennheiser HD598Cs. The AT fit pretty well, but a little too big. The Sennheiser fit me. I think the Sennheiser are nicer-sounding than the AT, but feel they're slightly anemic in the bass department, which is kinda strange to hear coming from me. But it's noticeable. My favorite earphones of mine are my Etymotic ER-4P and Alessandro (Grado) MS-1. But I need over-the-ear closed-back for this purpose.

Any suggestions that are maybe along the lines of the Sennheiser HD598Cs but slightly more bass? I suppose the answer could be these and just use EQ to boost the bass a bit. I'm certainly willing to hear that the HR598Cs ARE producing the bass that was intended on the recording, but somehow it feels like it's holding back a bit.

Thanks.

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 33
ZMF Classic or Argon MK3. Planar magnetic headphones with more sub-bass than perhaps every in-production sub $300 headphone (and I'm not talking bloated bass, sub $300 headphones just lack sub-bass almost all the time). Bass won't overshadow the mids on either of them.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 33
Find a best buy to audition Beats EP. You will not be dissapoint. I recommend also cause you mention small head. I have to adjust headband to max setting in my average size head. The EP is on closeout because discontinued so if you can get BB to price match like I did you can get a great deal locally. Just stay away from online places that might sell you a fake.

Jun 23, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 33
Dude...Sennheiser Momentum 2 over-ears are probably exactly what you're after. They knock-out highs like a champ, like Sennheisers tend to do...yet they have a more consumer-friendly tuning with some nice bass response without being overboard or overshadowing the mids. They're also pretty compact and definitely are nice for smaller heads/ears. You should watch some reviews on youtube.

Amazon, Moon Audio, and Audio 46 all have these new for about $250...or you can do the ebay routine like me and get them used for $100 or less. You have to potentially watch for counterfeits if you go used...lack of holofoil sticker on the drivers, lack of locking cable/twist mechanism, fake leather on pads and headband, etc.

Buy from amazon direct, and not through a third party seller, and you can always return them hassle free. The only difference between the Apple or Android/G version is the remote cable that is included due to intended compatability...you can buy regular cables for these sans remote over ebay or amazon.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #7 of 33
Thanks, all, for the replies. I'm looking into all of this. I realized something about the HD-598 Cs. It's not that I don't like the bass; it's that the entire sound from them is kinda "relaxed". The AKG K550 and my Alessandros are more aggressive overall. More "fun".

Definitely looking into all of this, but also considering getting a Sennheiser HD-600 headband cushion for the AKG.

Jun 23, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #9 of 33
Not terribly concerned about price, closed, neutral, artificial leather pads, very comfy? -> MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed!

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #10 of 33
Also, unfortunately headphones using real leather is a non-starter for me.
Oh I don't like it either actually. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I try to avoid it as well.

Jun 24, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 33
ZMF Classic or Argon MK3. Planar magnetic headphones with more sub-bass than perhaps every in-production sub $300 headphone (and I'm not talking bloated bass, sub $300 headphones just lack sub-bass almost all the time). Bass won't overshadow the mids on either of them.
Are these headphones semi-closed and will leak?

Jun 24, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 33
Form my experience, Fostex tr50p are humungous! I would not recommend without a pilot pad and probably not altoge5het with a small noggin. I have a narrow but very large head (Alien!) and have to use a pilot pad with my vibro.

Jun 24, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 33
The Beyerdynamic DT 150 is an excellent choice. Not a looker but comfort is pretty good and it’s the best sounding closed-back in its price range imho. It’s balanced and has nice dynamics and soundstaging. It’s far better than the M40X and HD 598Cs to my ears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back