Closed back headphone for travel
Sep 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

JohnDG

New Head-Fier
Hello all, please direct me if this is in the incorrect spot. I will soon be traveling long hours on planes so I am thinking of picking up a closed back headphone. Comfort is a big factor here.
I am currently looking at Mr Speakers Mad Dog and will drive it with an e11. Any suggestions otherwise? Thanks

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 20
Sep 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 20
Hello all, please direct me if this is in the incorrect spot. I will soon be traveling long hours on planes so I am thinking of picking up a closed back headphone. Comfort is a big factor here.
I am currently looking at Mr Speakers Mad Dog and will drive it with an e11. Any suggestions otherwise? Thanks

I bought headphones for just this purpose. There's only one truly great headphone for in flight use. The great Bose QC15. Faultless performance from UK to South Africa. Very discrete and robust to transport. Need I say more?

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 20
I will also be listening to these at home and while away. I would like a nice sounding headphone that will also be useful on a plane. Thank you all for the ideas, keep them coming

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 20
Yes, many companies have tried to beat Bose at active noise cancelling but as far as I know none have succeeded. In terms of sound quality alone Bose is not even worth considering, but that ANC is incredible.

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 20
Sep 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #10 of 20
Mad Dogs are based on the Fostex T50RP, which are semi open. There are some mods that turn it into a closed headphone, like Thunderpants, but I don't think Mad Dog is one of them.

As for closed headphones, some of my recommendations would be KEF M500 (most neutral), AKG K550, PSB M2U/M4U, Sennheiser Momentum, Denon D2000/D600, and V-Moda M-100 (most bassy).

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 20
The AKG K550s may be a good option, if you can get a good fit. Personally I think they are comfortable. In terms of good passive isolation, the UE6000 is excellent. I have used it passively on several flights. At home it is a decent headphone, with a strong midbass and good clarity, if a little closed-in sounding. The Denon D2000 is a great sounding headphone, but doesn't actually provide much isolation (I have all 3).

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #13 of 20
Right, I forgot about the D2000's mediocre isolation. D600 is better in that regard. IMO the D600 is an amazing deal used but not worth their retail price.

K550's are comfortable and have a very light clamp, which is often the cause of poor fit/seal, especially if you have a small head. If you get a good seal, the bass extension is very good. If you don't, they will sound bass light.

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 20
I agree, depending on the fit, the K550 can sound bass light, particularly in a noisy environment. The engine rumble tends to overwhelm bass, so I think that is partly why active noise canceling circuits tend to boost bass a lot. Anyway, the K550 headband can be bent slightly if fit is a little loose. The K550 is not an especially warm sounding headphone, but I enjoy its balanced sound, deep bass extension, and clarity. It is pretty easy to travel with as it folds flat, although the cable is a bit long. I haven't tried any of Denon's current line.

Sep 27, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #15 of 20
Mad Dogs are based on the Fostex T50RP, which are semi open. There are some mods that turn it into a closed headphone, like Thunderpants, but I don't think Mad Dog is one of them.

As for closed headphones, some of my recommendations would be KEF M500 (most neutral), AKG K550, PSB M2U/M4U, Sennheiser Momentum, Denon D2000/D600, and V-Moda M-100 (most bassy).

actually the mad dog was in receipt of the fully closed treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back