Closed back Grado equivalent?
Aug 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TheotherLarryB

New Head-Fier
OK, my first post here, be gentle.

I use an Arcam CD73T or Pro-Ject Esprit through an Arcam A65+ (tape out) into a Little Dot Mk3 driving Grado 325is. Typically listening to rock, indie, folk etc - mainly acoustic music.

I love the sound from this set up - all the Grado immediacy plus the valves adds up to sheer bliss...listening to it right now
dt880smile.png

My problem is background noise - quite often the wife is watching TV or a movie in the same room (which isn't going to change!).

Any advice on a pair of closed backs that would give me more isolation and get me a similar sound? Been looking at Denons but can't find anywhere to audition them in West Sussex.

Cheers for any and all advice...

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 7
What is it that you really like about the Grados?

To be honest, there's very little that sounds like a Grado--and much of what makes Grados Grados is how incredibly open they are.

That said, you have some options.  Many say the vintage Sextett AKG K240, which are also semi-open, are quite close to the Grado sound.  You will need a heck of an amp to get the best sound out of them, though.  If you're looking for beautiful mids with acoustic music, though, it's hard to go wrong with AKG.  They seem to have the corner on mids (though the jury is out on that for the 701/702).  A pair of K270 might be exactly what you want.

I find my DBI Pro 700 had the forward, aggressive sound that I liked from the Grados, but they are bassier.  That said, you might want to track down a pair of MB Quart QP-805, German Maestro 8.35, etc.  They have excellent isolation, and should give you the detail and speed that you like.

Far be it from me to dissuade you from getting Beyerdynamic headphones, of course, but you should realize that "semi-open" is usually not much different from open.  If the goal is to avoid sound leakage, that won't work.  The DT250/250 might be a better choice for you.

Many people have complained that while the Denons sound quite good and lush, that the mids are recessed and a bit muddy.  For detailed acoustic music, this is pretty much the opposite of the Grado sound, and not necessarily what you're looking for.  Just as a heads up.

Aug 24, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 7
Audio Technica would be similar to a Grado closed back analog. Many models have forward mids, are bright (not to the extent of Grado's which I find unbarable), and tight bass.

You might want to look into the W1000x, or if you have a tube amp W1000.

EDIT: Denons do not sound anything like Grados

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks very much for the advice - got up to London and did some auditioning. AT W1000 is a bit out of my price range and having heard both the Beyers and the Denons I agree with joelpearce.

So, plumped for the Beyers which I spent a very pleasant afternoon yesterday watching 2001 : A Space Odyssey with. Think I'll be using the Beyers for private home cinema (they seem to render dialogue especially well) and the Grados for music.

Cheers both!

Sep 6, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 7
Most people won't believe it, but to me the Koss Pro DJ 100 sounds a bit like the SR-80. It has nearly the same amount of detail, maybe a bit more bass, but I guess the highs can be slightly rolled off. I actually own the SR-80 and compared them side by side. The SR-80 just seemed to be missing something and i'm not sure what it was. The Koss headphones also have a better soundstage and are about the same price. Probably way different then the 325i though I imagine. To me, this is my favorite headphone and I keep going back to it.

They also remind me of the DT-880 in many ways. The DT-880 would also be another suggestion. Just don't get the 32ohm if you can avoid it.

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #7 of 7
Haven't heard any Koss phones at all, so not qualified to say!

I did buy the DT880 in the end - the 250ohm version. Oddly, though, I noticed they sound better (to my ears) driven by my Arcam A65+ headphone jack than by my Little Dot MK3. Opposite is true for the Grados.

Probably the difference in impedance - Grados are 32ohms I believe...and I think the Little Dot has configurable gain settings, will have to fiddle around with that.

Or just buy a new amp for the Beyers
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back