Closed, ~$60 for Folk. EDIT: Help No Longer Needed.
Jun 15, 2010 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Kukuk

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for some decent isolating headphones. Right now I'm thinking MDR-V6's, but they fluctuate wildly in price, so if I can't get them for $60 I'd like to have a backup plan.

As the title says, need them to be closed, used primarily for folk rock and stuff. Have to work unamped as well. Thanks in advance!

(PS, I know I said isolating, but no IEM's!)

(PPS, I mean they block out outside noise. Also, it wouldn't bother me if they were bass light, as I'm using the XB700's now :p)

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 12
When you mean isolating, do you mean you don't want others to hear your music? If so, the Creative Aurvana Live! is $60 or so on Newegg, and they're the same thing as the Denon D1001. They keep sound from going out, but they let sound in, so that may be a deal breaker...

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
When you mean isolating, do you mean you don't want others to hear your music? If so, the Creative Aurvana Live! is $60 or so on Newegg, and they're the same thing as the Denon D1001. They keep sound from going out, but they let sound in, so that may be a deal breaker...

Ahah, I didn't think outward noise. I meant I want phones that cut outside noise.

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 12
Hmm, for the price?

JVC HA-S700. Very good isolation. $25-$30. Look better than Bose Around Ear (similar in style) for $100 less. I think any decent closed headphone with a good seal can effectively cut outside noise. Don't buy into the noise cancelling hype.

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 12
Yeah, no way am I gonna lay down cash for noise canceling. I doubt I could even get crappy headphones with noise canceling for $60. Heh.

Anyone know how the AKG K81DJ's fare for isolation and folk music?

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #6 of 12
Your best bet would probably be earbuds that make a good seal. The V6 doesn't really block out that much noise either.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 12
Kukuk, your Soi Fong and Yoruichi avi is hawt. 
redface.gif

I think once you have music on, most decent closed headphones block out most noise. I certainly have much of a problem with external noise with almost any closed headphone I have tried.

I think people put too much stock on blocking out noise.

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 12
Yeah, even my ESW9s have decent isolation when I've got music playing. I can't hear myself typing or even clicking my fingers.

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #9 of 12
Try the JVC HA-RX700's they are great for regular folk and Folk Rock, I listen to Fairport Convention, Horslips, and early Clannad through them and they are great. They are $43 including shipping from newegg.com right now. They need about 300 hrs. of music burn-in to sound great, their SQ is on the dark side of neutral so a little laid back in mid's and high-end but they are never shrill or irritating, they are comfortable and can be wore for hours at a time. The best sound reproduction of piano and acoustic guitar I've ever heard. You can read about them on several threads in the headphone forum. Happy Listening.

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 12
Alright, so I was able to get the V6's for the price I wanted. Just wondering, will the step up in sound quality be pretty sizable (Over the XB700's)? Also, how is the soundstage compared to them?

Jul 3, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 12
Hope nobody minds me bumping the thread, I don't feel it's entirely appropriate to make a new thread just for some quick impressions.

Got my V6's today. Really like them. Been putting them through their rounds, and I've come to the conclusion they are a minor upgrade to the XB700's, as well as a side-step.

Definitely have more detailed sound. "Heard stuff I've never heard", etc. I actually thought the XB700's were pretty detailed as they were, compared to all the other phones I've heard, but these are definitely better in that regard.

On the bass side, sure there's less of it, but again, it's more detailed. And it's punchier. The XB700's are pretty punchy, but the V6's beat them out. They just don't handle cranking the bass up to insane levels, but that's to be expected. Still, they hold their own with overall bass. Probably 80% the bass the XB700's have with my typical listening habits, so it's really not a problem.

The isolation is great. I was a little worried, because headroom says the XB700's had better isolation, and I thought there was no way that could be true. Thankfully I was right. They really do block out a lot of sound, and when music is playing I can't hear anything else.

One minor problem I have with the sound is the sibilance, especially at high volumes. It's as if somebody cranked up the treble way too high. The XB700's are much smoother by comparison. Can I expect the sibilance to mellow out a bit with burn-in?

On the non-sound side of these, I really don't have a problem. Lots of clamping force, but it's never so bad that it kills my ears. The cable is really heavy, like, heavier than the headphones themselves, but again, not really a problem. And it's nice to have a cable long enough to pass the headphones to my friend for a listen. Heh.

Jul 3, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #12 of 12
Hard to think of listening to folk on closed cans. I love me some folk on my open Senns.

Give a listen to Red Molly.. only have youtube links cause their player on their site is broken for some reason (www.redmolly.com)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI3UsXYXL8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF1ywJtPQ3Q

One of my favorite folk groups. Love and Other Tragedies (the album the above songs come from) is audiophile quality. It doesn't get any better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back