Clip +/ Clip Zip Still The Budget King?
Sep 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Xaborus

100+ Head-Fier
Haven't been around awhile guys. Just bought a new pair of IEM''s (Yammy EPH-100) and need a budget "Mp3 player" for working out.

Is the Clip+/ Clip Zip still the budget king or has it been finally surpassed?

Thanks Guys 
etysmile.gif

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 20
  Haven't been around awhile guys. Just bought a new pair of IEM''s (Yammy EPH-100) and need a budget "Mp3 player" for working out.

Is the Clip+/ Clip Zip still the budget king or has it been finally surpassed?

Thanks Guys 
etysmile.gif

It's still the budget king .....Rockbox it and carry on. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 20
Are they virtually identical in SQ? I can't remember the answer to this even though I did a bit of research a long time ago.

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #5 of 20
Yep, still the budget king. 
I have a HDP-R10 and a DX50 but I still love my Clip+.

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 20
My Clip+ died and I replaced it with a refurbished Fuze+ and Rockboxed it. I find the Fuze+ a much better player than the Clip+:

Fuze+ advantages:

Fuze+ doesn't make any ugly noises (I owned Clip+ and Fuze v2 and both were noisy on track changes and the Clip+ sometimes even during playback).

Fuze+ completely silent when changing volume level - no button press click click click.

Fuze+ can play back very large files such as high bitrate m4a without issue (Clip+ often skipped to next track or occasionally hung).

Fuze+ has longer battery life.

Fuze+ has much more powerful CPU and can run Rockbox's parametric eq and crossfeed without killing battery life.

The microSD slot holds cards flush instead of protruding like the older players. Your Fuze+ microSD card will not do an unwanted eject into the pavement like Clip+ can.

Fuze+ FM Radio has RDS and doesn't get noisy interference from CPU or screen like Clip+ can.

Fuze+ screen is relatively large. Album art looks great, text is easily legible and the screen can go very bright so you can see it outdoors on a bright day.

Fuze+ headphone socket actually holds the jack plug tight without it shifting around.

Fuze+ has a hardware hold/screenlock button you can operate with one finger.

Clip+ advantages:

The Original Firmware on the Clip+ is very usable while the Fuze+ OF is a steaming pile of stuff that steams. If you don't want to run Rockbox the Clip+ is nice enough but the Fuze+ is frustrating.

Fuze+ doesn't have a clip so really it needs an accessory case. Clip+ is complete as is.

Clip+ is really tiny.

It still looks OK even when it has taken a beating.

Some people need or strongly prefer buttons controls.

I wouldn't spend money on a new Fuze+ but the refurbs are ridiculously cheap, cheaper than refurbished Clip+ and Clip Zip. If I had to replace my Fuze+ I would get another in preference to the Clip+ or Clip Zip. I am really pleased to have a cheap, small player that plays back lossless audio very nicely without the CPU noises (squeaks, buzzes, pops, ticks) and button noises (clicks), just lots of music. I think the Fuze+ is much superior in terms of audio playback and to my mind that makes it the budget king.

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #8 of 20
Does your ksc75  sound better on the fuze ?

I did some level matching of the Clip+ vs my iRiver H140 before the Clip+ died and then I did the same with the Fuze+. Clip+ and Fuze+ output levels are the same and both have output impedance of about 1 ohm. The output from the Fuze+ is cleaner (noiseless) so in that respect it is audibly better but in terms of compatibility the Clip+ and Fuze+ aren't any different so it's still the case that the KSC75 work OK but need more power to be at their best.

edit: typo

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 20
I have a clip zip.
Nothing beats the price/performance ratio. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 20
The price is so low that any half way decent player at that price is going to beat a normal $200 + players hands down using a dollar per SQ measurement.

But I'm not a fan of the clip zip sound. Its very detailed but also a very thin sound with a tiny soundstage.

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 20
  But I'm not a fan of the clip zip sound. Its very detailed but also a very thin sound with a tiny soundstage.

Disagree. The Clip+ and Zip have the same audio hardware.

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 20
The Clip Zip has been my gym partner for the past 2 years and now that it's battery life is shorter I just ordered another.  This is my third Clip and I don't see anything in the market that competes in that price range (and I'm sure as hell not dealing with Itunes).

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #14 of 20
I have a clip zip.
Nothing beats the price/performance ratio. 

Fuze+ is refurb is cheaper than Clip Zip refurb and performs better (longer battery life, better radio ((maybe)), better m4a support, no CPU noise). Therefore it does beat the price/performance ratio.

At new prices the Fuze+ is about $10 more than Clip Zip so maybe the differences are worth $10 to some people and not to others.

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #15 of 20
Fuze+ is refurb is cheaper than Clip Zip refurb and performs better (longer battery life, better radio ((maybe)), better m4a support, no CPU noise). Therefore it does beat the price/performance ratio.

At new prices the Fuze+ is about $10 more than Clip Zip so maybe the differences are worth $10 to some people and not to others.

I've noticed no CPU noise or problems with m4a support with my rockboxed Clip Zips, but the Fuze+ rockboxed definitely has more battery life. I had mine plugged into the stereo at work last night, replaygain engaged, volume maxed, on "shuffle" playing the songs from my 3GB, 302-song "work mix" folder (LAME MP3 files averaging 251kbps) , playing from 4:55 PM until 11:02 PM, and when I unplugged it to shut it down, it was still registering 71% charge remaining. One of my Zips would probably be down closer to 50% remaining.  So for that type of usage, the Fuze+ clearly wins.

However, if I hadn't been working, and had been interacting with the DAP more and not just shuffling one big folder, then I would prefer the usability of the Zip's controls over the Fuze+ still. It's really not bad to use the Fuze+ with Rockbox installed, but still it takes a little longer to accomplish the same tasks than it would on my Zip....and of course in an on-the-go scenario, Zip would win due to the ability to clip it to my shirt pocket.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back