Classifying versions of the RS1: Your Guide (Work in Progress)
Apr 16, 2009 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 261

Mercuttio

Key Conspirator in the Quest to Murder Music
INTRODUCTION:
There's a lot of discussion about the RS1 and its variants lately. I thought it might be nice to have a new reference thread on this topic, with lots of pictures.

I don't know the exact year that the RS1 was created, but the first review I've found is the famous Wes Phillips article from 1996. This seems to point to a beginning for the phone in 1995, and the earliest sale date on record (as listed below) is 1995.

Stereophile Review:
Stereophile: Grado Reference Series One Headphones

Now, the headphone in that review is definitely pretty old. The picture used in the review is the old Grado stock picture, which was used until just his past year.

So how did we get from this:

1996gradors1.jpg

to this:

Here are the varieties of the RS1 as defined by the Mr Whiskers Investigates posts, added to by me for the later versions and pictures for detail. I've also shifted some names around, for ease of use by me. Particularly the usage of "Semi-Vintage" to "RS1 Classic" and I have been changing "Super Vintage" to "Vintage S" because it matches the "Vintage A and Vintage B" as defined by adanac061.

Whether this will catch on, I don't know, but it's certainly going to be better defined than in the past.

Here are some of the basis of research posts by adanac061.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/if-...ml#post5611090

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mr-...rsions-244402/

Vintage S (Super Vintage)

This is the first known iteration of the RS1, and most likely the most valuable. I don't know how many exist. This version may be signified by the darker wood box, but more importantly it has the square latch as shown in pictures. This box came inside a thin cardboard box that lasted until the beginning of the RS1 Classic era.

1. Drivers
This Grado has pink drivers (reported by recstar24, who owned the pair in these pictures before he sold it) and gold L & R markings on the plastic blocks. As we can see, the headband is a brown leather and the text around the cup is just over a semi-circle on the top of the cup.

2. Cups:
The cups are well finished, and may be dark reddish to mid reddish in tone. The screens are black and the button is lighter but very nicely finished and shiny in pictures. The script on the buttons is as shown below, with thin letters that have curls on their ends. It appears that the earliest RS1s (from 1995) have a thicker button with a larger, bolder font. The text around the top of the cup extends just over 180 degrees.

No serial number is present on a Vintage S.

3. The Headband / Gimbals:
The headband is brown and the L & R markings on the plastic blocks are gold. The metal rods are square, and have metal end caps. The gimbals have circle cut-outs for the cable.

Additionally one odd variant seems to exist. NikonGod's brown leather band is incredibly light to the point of being tan... I don't know if others exist in this style but it's the only one on record. His is certainly Vintage S due to the nature of the buttons, as seen below.

CIMG0038.jpg

osrs1c.jpg

Note the pink drivers and the white silk, rather than black. Not sure what that means.

4. The cable
This section needs more info. The cable on the pair in these photos has the big G little L coming out of the bottom at the splitter. Someone once implied to me that they'd seen a different kind of cable, but I haven't personally.

5. Pads
These came with the flats.

Here's the box:

gradors1002.jpg

Here are the phones themselves:

gradors1015.jpg

gradors1011.jpg

These pictures are from this sale: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/so...5/#post5119241

Vintage A

These are more commonly found for sale, though still quite rare. The change in box signifies the first change in the supplier, as the original box company went out of business. This box may be lighter, but still has the green felt covered foam as seen in the Super Vintage. The wood box is contained in a thin cardboard box to the best of my knowledge. This box is shown below, in Vintage B.

Here is a comparison from the Mr Whiskers thread of the boxes.

woodenboxes.jpg

Note the difference in the latch on the left box. The square latch is older. Square latched boxes are still mixed in with Vintage A RS1s, it seems.

1. Drivers
This RS1 generally appears with pink drivers, often with black silk over them but not always. Pairs with white drivers have appeared, but this may be a sign of a repair at Grado Labs... the old driver is replaced with the new. By and large, this RS1 has pink drivers.

2. Cups:
Similar to the Super Vintage in most ways. At some point a change took place in production, and the 180 degree text was changed to this:

cimg5271.jpg

Otherwise, the nicely finished buttons and curly font on the button "RS1" remains the same. The wood seems quite identical as well.

No serial number is present on a Vintage A.

3. The Headband / Gimbals:
Brown band, though some have a black band. This could be a change in later production or just using what was on hand until black leather took over entirely. Older RS1 seem to be better padded. The rods are still square and the caps on them are still metal. The gimbal itself has a circular cutout for the cable as before.

Interestingly, some of these Vintage A RS1 have silver lettering instead of gold on the L&R plastic blocks.

4. The cable:
Nothing seems to differentiate this from the previous example. Most I've seen have the big G little L on the cable splitter. This cable is very flexible.

5. These initially came with flats, but later pairs seem to have been switched to bowls.

Here are some lovely pictures I found on eBay for a vintage set. It should be noted that the seller tried to sell these for $1,299.99, but nobody bit at that price. If I was to give a reason, I'd suggest the suspect condition of the drivers, though this may be entirely due to the pads turning to dust.

g3.jpg

g48.jpg

gtop.jpg

g23.jpg

The latch looks a lot like the older latch, but the phones have the light colored box. I'm not sure if this qualifies them as Vintage S, you be the judge.

This pair seems Vintage A though:

rs1bor1.jpg

Check out that different latch, but note the bowls on these phones! Tsk.

Vintage B

Now, to the best of my knowledge, Vintage S and Vintage A phones were made until about 1998. I say this because my headphones are in most ways identical to the headphones in Vintage A. The person I purchased them from had this to say about them:

Quote:

"I ordered these December 1998 and and received them February 1999 so they are 10 years old and still in pristine condition The headband is black (or very very very dark brown).

Not too long after I purchased them I suffered some severe hearing damage (not from using the headphones). So I stored them away in hopes that one day I would be able to enjoy them again, however as it now appears I am no longer able to endure the sound pressure levels created by headphones. Its a shame because these were a prized possession of mine, but sometimes you have to let some things go."

At this point, it seems the wood box was cut from the package and only the thin cardboard carton was left:

oldbox.jpg

We now know that John Grado was forced to cease usage of this thin cardboard box due to the supplier going out of business after 9/11. Further in the thread, you'll find a letter that was included in an RS1 set in 2002 stating this. It seems that Vintage B RS1 existed from about 1999 to 2001.

Note the inclusion of the cable and 1/8th inch adaptor, in the little bag with the gold lettering. According to John Grado, the second company that made the boxes went out of business, and he didn't want to lose sales and find a new producer. He kept the green foam and the formerly outer cardboard box design. He decided that the cable and adaptor were worth more than the box anyway, so nobody would complain. (How wrong he was).

Unfortunately I only know of two pairs directly (someone else here recently purchased one) so I will have to draw conclusions from what I've seen and experienced.

1. Drivers
Both pairs I know of have the pink drivers and the mellow sound associated with Vintage S and Vintage A. My pair also has the black silk rather than the white silk over the drivers, as seen here:

goldletterpinkdriver.jpg

2. Cups
My cups are identical to the later Vintage A , as shown here:

GoldLeft.jpg

These continue the trend of the text going nearly all the way around the outer rim.

No serial is present on a Vintage B.

3. The Headband / Gimbals
My headband is black with very thick leather, and a notable grain. The other pair I know of has the same black leather. The rods on these are square, and the rod ends are black metal. Mine had the gold L&R, and the circle cutout for the cables. The other pair has silver L&Rs on the plastic.

My pair unfortunately had a stripped screw on the right gimbal (possibly during production?) and the gimbals were replaced with the new RSi style gimbals. This of course proves that the gimbals are interchangeable, if nothing else.

4. The Cables
Seems exactly the same as Vintage A cables I've seen.

5. Pads
These phones continued with the bowls that were changed in the Vintage A period.

RS1 Classic
(Previously called Semi-Vintage)

This, I think, signifies the swap over to the corrugated cardboard white box as seen here:

dsc7688resizedux0.jpg

Again, I'd imagine this is for safety in shipping the phones. This swap happened sometime in late 2001 / early 2002, as the original supplier of the RS1 thin cardboard box (as seen above) went out of business after 9/11. Initially, a letter of apology for the change in box style was included with any RS1 set (a set being the phones and the cables). The box as well has a grey foam that is not coated with green felt but instead a black spandex like surface with a slight sparkle. More pictures of that below.

Some traits of Vintage A and B have been spotted in the beginning of the production and will be noted in their respective fields.

1. Drivers
These phones have been spotted with pink drivers occasionally, on sets with no serial number. Almost entirely, these phones have white drivers with white silk over them.

img0280mn6.jpg

2. Cups:
Things get pretty weird here, as two distinct kinds of cups exist. This is also in some way connected to the complaints about RS1 craftsmanship, as the second kind of cup (which is very similar to Vintage Grados in its 180 degree text) is generally not finished as well. These are known by some as the "Late Friday RS1."

Most RS1 Classic cups look just like Vintage B cups, in that they have very clear text that is around the entire cup, as seen here:

GradoRS-1.jpg

Then, we have the "Late Friday" Variety of cups. Some are finished nicely (though I'd argue not as nicely as the normal ones), as these are:

dsc7694resizedri2.jpg

And some are finished quite poorly, as with the infamous pair:

fbca0cd2.jpg

What's really strange about these cups is that they look very much like Vintage S and earlier Vintage A in the way the text is arranged.

Serial numbers are present on nearly all RS1 Classics. Only the early ones don't have it.

It's also interesting to note that the buttons on newer RS1 Classics (the majority) have a different font, and are often unfinished.

3. The Headband and Gimbal:
In the above driver photo, also take a look at the leather band. Not nearly as padded as Vintage S, A, or B, though I've seen older ones with thicker padding. The metal rods are square, but the end caps have been switched to rubber rather than metal for whatever reason. Older RS1 Classics have the circular cutout for the cable, and newer ones have the square cutout. John Grado attests this change to getting rid of micro-phonics in the cable, as the circular cutouts gave the cable more freedom to bump around. All RS1 Classic phones have silver L&R on their plastic blocks.

4. The Cables
Seems about the same as previous cables, but again I need more information on this.

5. Pads
Bowls here, but in older models they seem "glued on." I'm not sure if this is a result of the reaction over time from the foam pad on the wood finish, as can be seen on the Vintage models. *shrug*

Now, looking at the RS1 Classic you can kind of see three types. An RS1 Classic A which is very similar to Vintage B (and may even have the same drivers), RS1 Classic B which is the most common serial numbered kind with white drivers, and the Late Friday RS1 which has a very different cup style and finishing. Feel free to classify them as such when you see them, if we find out more about each kind I can split the RS1 classic section up further.

Buttonless RS1

This RS1 seems to be a transition to the RS1i, but lacks the new thick cable / wiring change.

1. Drivers:
White drivers, as seen on RS1 Classic.
0020091000_3255.jpg

2. Cups:
New cup design! Check these guys out: No button and a brand new font!
0020091000_3259.jpg

Identical to the RS1 Classic B. Square rods with rubber tips and square cutouts for the cable. Silver letters, of course. Some of these have nicely padded leather as well, you can see that in the image above.

4. The Cables:
These cables are identical as well to the RS1 Classic B. Flexible, not too thick.

5. Pads:
Bowls, as with the RS1 Classic B.

RS1i

This is the new kid on the block.

1. Drivers:
Grado has reported that they've changed the drivers on the RS1i.

In my experience with my new RS1i, this driver is different than the buttonless RS1 (smoother, with less shouty treble, especially during burn-in). Previously I had lumped my experiences with the buttonless RS1 with the RS1i, and I don't think that those impressions hold true here. 

Thus far, for audio quality, I'd give a clear edge to the RS1i; I prefer it to most older models of the RS1 Classic that I've heard. The driver is well and truly tuned to the Grado bowls, and the texture is excellent up and down the range. Lead vocals are still the clear focus of this headphone, and guitars are rendered exceptionally well. 

This driver "focuses" much quicker than a Vintage RS1. Clarity is relatively immediate, the adjustment period I occasionally became frustrated with on the HP2 and Vintage RS1 is not present. 

White cheesecloth (silkish?) covers the drivers as it did in previous versions.

2. Cups
Same cups as you'd find on the Buttonless RS1, though much redder in person. I plan to take some photos soon for this. Workmanship varies as it has in the past, but I haven't seen any particularly ugly cups as we saw during the Classic B stage. I've seen more RS1i with the black paint rubbing from the grilles, but I suspect this is just because it's easier to touch them or have things bump into them without the button on the back.

The color in current images both at headphone.com and Grado's site really don't do justice to the current production RS1i. Here are a few pictures I've taken; the color is very similar on my monitor to what I see in person:

This is when the RS1 shifted to round rods, rather than square. They're looser but have a slightly different fit on the head which I quite enjoy as it doesn't put as much pressure on your ears yet still keeps them well seated. 

The RS1i now has its serial number additionally on the plastic squares. Both, to be specific. Interestingly, mine is far easier to read on the square than on the cup. Perhaps this is to ease repairs? 

The leather remains as the leather has been for quite some time. It's comfortable, but seems to vary in amount of padding from headphone to headphone.

4. The Cables:
This is another big change from the older models, as the cable is new and much thicker with different wiring inside. It is far harder to tangle, but will spin the cups if you're not careful. This cable seems as if it would be much harder to damage than previous models.

5. Pads:
Bowls, as before. It's probably my imagination, but the bowls seem softer than they did in previous generations. Has anyone else noticed this? 

So there you go, that's everything I've been able to uncover about the RS1. And, even in doing so I have realized that it's nearly impossible to truly categorize older RS1s due to the parts that bleed from one category into another. In many cases I've had to make a split judgement about where a particular phone falls, or devise a new way of labeling them.

I don't pretend to know everything about this fabulous (and personal favorite) headphone, so if you have a change and a photo or an addition of an odd model, please let me know. I hope to let what is here grow over time and become something better.

Anyway, happy listening, and hope you've enjoyed reading this!

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 261
Here's a quick wrapup of everything above, in simple list form:

Vintages:

Vintage S
Vintage A
Vintage B

RS1 Classic:

RS1 Classic A
RS1 Classic B
Late Friday RS1

New RS1

Buttonless RS1
RS1i

A lot of people are asking about where their RS1 Classic falls. I have been labeling them for the most part on whether or not they have a serial number. If it's got a serial, I usually say Classic B. If not, Classic A.

I'm reserving this post to add more information later... I've hit the image limit in the last one.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 261
Great post man. I was reading this whilst listening to my "vintage" sr225.
Will be checking it for further updates.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 261
Great work Mercuttio, I've been waiting for a post like this. Mine have no serial number, black headband, silver L and R, and the bowl pads were like glued on when I removed them to replace. I had to clean the wood up a bit after removing the pads as it left traces behind. I'm guessing I have a vintage A version but they sound great whichever.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great work Mercuttio, I've been waiting for a post like this. Mine have no serial number, black headband, silver L and R, and the bowl pads were like glued on when I removed them to replace. I had to clean the wood up a bit after removing the pads as it left traces behind. I'm guessing I have a vintage A version but they sound great whichever.

Which box did they come in, and what color are the drivers? I'd be interested to see another example other than the two I've found that have that particular text. Definitely has to come in a wood box to be Vintage A though.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 261
Ok - so now I'm confused. No box unfortunately - my Ebay purchase came posted in a Grado hard headphone case. The drivers don't appear to be pink but I'll get some decent photos on here tomorrow when I get some daylight.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok - so now I'm confused. No box unfortunately - my Ebay purchase came posted in a Grado hard headphone case. The drivers don't appear to be pink but I'll get some decent photos on here tomorrow when I get some daylight.

Ok, how about the rods, are they capped with rubber or are they metal? What is the cutout on the gimbal?

I'd say they sound like an RS1 Classic A if they have those things, and if it's a rubber cap or a square cutout it would be an RS1 Classic B.

Here's the overall guideline to the structure I've presented in what I found:

Vintages:

Vintage S
Vintage A
Vintage B

RS1 Classic:

RS1 Classic A
RS1 Classic B
Late Friday RS1

New RS1

Buttonless RS1
RS1i

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 261
My variant seem to be very strange:

*No serial number.
*Circular cut-out.
*Metal end caps.
*Silver L/R.
*Brown headband.
*Style of text is like the super vintage with just over 180* text.
*When I got them (used) the mesh was completely white, but the are now starting to get discoloured to something pink/red/brown-ish. The silk is not however the same white as my recent buttonless pair where the silk did not get discoloured in the same way. The buttonless silk also seemed denser (harder to see through) than the vintage.
*Wooden box. Square latch. The colour seem to be the darker kind.
*Flat pads in bad shape were stuck to the cups.

Everything but the white silk and silver L/R suggest Vintage S. It's not possible to know if they originally came in the box or if they've been tampered with, but that's unlikely.

The actual drivers (looking through the silk) of my vintage and my recent buttonless pair did not look completely identical. The buttonless pair looked completely silver but my vintage have a bronze metal ring.

So, where do this pair fit in?

EDIT: Pictures: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/c...5/#post5148079

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My variant seem to be very strange:

*Circular cut-out.
*Metal end caps.
*Silver L/R.
*Brown headband.
*Style of text is like the super vintage with just over 180* text.
*When I got them (used) the mesh was completely white, but the are now starting to get discoloured to something pink/red/brown-ish. The silk is not however the same white as my recent buttonless pair where the silk did not get discoloured in the same way. The buttonless silk also seemed denser (harder to see through) than the vintage.
*Wooden box. Square latch. The colour seem to be the darker kind.
*Flat pads in bad shape were stuck to the cups.

Everything but the white silk and silver L/R suggest Vintage S. It's not possible to know if they originally came in the box or if they've been tampered with, but that's unlikely.

The actual drivers (looking through the silk) of my vintage and my recent buttonless pair did not look completely identical. The buttonless pair looked completely silver but my vintage have a bronze metal ring.

So, where do this pair fit in?

I might have the box situation backwards. More feedback here would be great from others... anyone know? I'll update once we have some sort of consensus going.

I think that most of the pink driver headphones have the bronze or reddish metal ring inside. They could even be related to the driver "turning pink" in these phones over time... here's a closeup of mine:

DRIVER.jpg

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 261
This is excellent information Mercuttio!!!!!!
You might want to note that per Grado there was a driver upgrade with the RS1i

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooterboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is excellent information Mercuttio!!!!!!
You might want to note that per Grado there was a driver upgrade with the RS1i

Updated, thanks for the information!

I've also made my findings on the boxes a little more nebulous in this. Hopefully we'll find out which box is associated with which vintage soon.

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #13 of 261
Great post Mercuttio! According to your outline, my phones fall into the classic range either A or B but not the late Friday type. I was wondering if these were shipped with bowls or flats but it seems that the bowls starting coming in during this period.

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great post Mercuttio! According to your outline, my phones fall into the classic range either A or B but not the late Friday type. I was wondering if these were shipped with bowls or flats but it seems that the bowls starting coming in during this period.

Yeah when I realized mine came with bowls (totally disintegrated) and that they were much older than the RS1 classic, I started looking further back and discovered that the bowls were introduced sometime in Vintage A.

If your RS1 has a circular cutout in the gimbal and is unnumbered, it could very well be Classic A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back