Classifying versions of the RS1: Your Guide (Work in Progress)
Apr 17, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #31 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This pair seems Vintage A though:

rs1bor1.jpg

Check out that different latch, but note the bowls on these phones! Tsk.

Well, they had flats on when i got them, which were practically fused to the wood and turning to dust, so i took them off, cleaned up the cups and slapped a pair of bowls on there. i keep thinking about trying flats, but i actually rather like them as they are, so i've never really got around to it :p

There's 3 links in my sig btw, that image above plus 2 others.

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #32 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, they had flats on when i got them, which were practically fused to the wood and turning to dust, so i took them off, cleaned up the cups and slapped a pair of bowls on there. i keep thinking about trying flats, but i actually rather like them as they are, so i've never really got around to it :p

There's 3 links in my sig btw, that image above plus 2 others.

Oho! So THAT might be the actual Super Vintage box! When did you get them, and from where?

But wait, don't they have a black headband and silver letters?

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #33 of 261
Quote:

Oho! So THAT might be the actual Super Vintage box! When did you get them, and from where?

But wait, don't they have a black headband and silver letters?

I don't think so, pretty sure it's the 2nd gen box. It has 'Reference Series Cartridges' engraved under the Grado logo, which always made me wonder.

I got them from the 'bay about a year ago, so no accurate info before that i'm afraid. When i got them the cable was about 3 feet longer than my SR60s and HF1s, but unfortunately it developed a fault so i had Grado put a new cable on, which is only about 6 foot total.

One other thing about the 'differences' between examples is that the lighting of the photograph can have a massive impact on the colour of the wood, and even the headband, so take things with at least a pinch of salt
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #34 of 261
Quote:

I don't think so, pretty sure it's the 2nd gen box. It has 'Reference Series Cartridges' engraved under the Grado logo, which always made me wonder.

I got them from the 'bay about a year ago, so no accurate info before that i'm afraid. When i got them the cable was about 3 feet longer than my SR60s and HF1s, but unfortunately it developed a fault so i had Grado put a new cable on, which is only about 6 foot total.

One other thing about the 'differences' between examples is that the lighting of the photograph can have a massive impact on the colour of the wood, and even the headband, so take things with at least a pinch of salt
tongue.gif

Huh, that's kind of a strange thing. They look really nice though, great condition for the age. Yeah, I've had the same troubles in photographing a lot of wood headphones. I remember actually getting angry at myself for not being able to get the color of my GS1000 correct, when most people thought they had pitted and poor quality wood.

Man though, I must say... the older RS1 is one of my favorite headphone designs. There's something really good going on there, in the same way that there's some sort of inherent beauty to the face of the Omega Speedmaster Professional. I remember once reading a designer's ode to that watch, a gushing love poem about the legibility and magical dimensions of the chronograph dials.

Apr 18, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #35 of 261
Apr 18, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #36 of 261
Updated my sig based on this thread. Thansk Mercutio
biggrin.gif

For those who want the sound of flats but hate the comfort (like me), the electrical tape around the bowls is a great alternative. Comfort of bowls, with the sound of flats.

Apr 18, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #38 of 261
Bojamijams - IMO you are your own minority group - I tried all different ways and now use flats on both pairs of RS-1, besides the HP-2. Most peeps (whichever sound they may prefer) prefer flats over bowls in terms of comfort.....and IMO many folks fool themselves by A/B both types, rather than simply deciding signature preference by using each on its' own. It's a psychological factor of preferring the brighter sound/bowls, as is the preference when peeps audition speakers and usually opt for the pair that are set a bit louder.

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #39 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bojamijams - IMO you are your own minority group - I tried all different ways and now use flats on both pairs of RS-1, besides the HP-2. Most peeps (whichever sound they may prefer) prefer flats over bowls in terms of comfort.....and IMO many folks fool themselves by A/B both types, rather than simply deciding signature preference by using each on its' own. It's a psychological factor of preferring the brighter sound/bowls, as is the preference when peeps audition speakers and usually opt for the pair that are set a bit louder.

I also find bowls really uncomfortable, even my older pair that I've scrubbed the hell out of. They're soft, but they still really mess with my ears after a while while my flats (now going on 3 years) don't.

My RS1 also seems really confused with bowls. Something isn't right there with them, as if the image is distorted.

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #40 of 261
I think the bend of the headband and the age of the bowls can be critical to the comfort of grado headphones, my RS1s with reasonably firm (ie new) bowls are prefect, and i've never touched the headband. I fiddled with my SR80s when i got them ~5 years ago, and with old mushy bowls i can only wear them for a few hours before my ears get sore.

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #41 of 261
Quote:

I think the bend of the headband and the age of the bowls can be critical to the comfort of grado headphones, my RS1s with reasonably firm (ie new) bowls are prefect, and i've never touched the headband. I fiddled with my SR80s when i got them ~5 years ago, and with old mushy bowls i can only wear them for a few hours before my ears get sore.

Your headband seems very padded, like mine. I also think that this is one of the main comfort factors with any Grado headphone. This one's been the best for that, but some of the RS1 Classic ones don't have any padding at all... my Classic B had none. Not cool.

Worse still is the MS2i I used to own. It had a thin leather band that Grado used to use on the 325 and RS2. That one was nice leather but had no padding and could bore into your skull in a matter of minutes.

Apr 18, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #42 of 261
Some pics of my vintage RS-1.

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #43 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some pics of my vintage RS-1.

Those are lovely!

Are the drivers pink with white silk?

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #44 of 261
Quote:

Those are lovely!

Are the drivers pink with white silk?

The drivers are pinkesh and the L and R letters are sliver instead of gold. The wooden box is in dark wood which doesn't show up as such on these pics.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #45 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The drivers are pinkesh and the L and R letters are sliver instead of gold. The wooden box is in dark wood which doesn't show up as such on these pics.

Man, I just can't figure out the rhyme or reason to the color of the L&R letters. It's like it alternates whenever Grado felt like it. That's the older box but it's got silver paint while mine had gold and it is from years later... so weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back