Classifying versions of the RS1: Your Guide (Work in Progress)
Apr 24, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #61 of 261
Looking at the shape of the button and the font, i'd say that they're a very beaten-up pair from one of the early production runs.

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #62 of 261
Yeah, I'd definitely say Vintage S. That button is only on the really old ones, as Rav said. Incredible shame they weren't better cared for!

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #63 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'd definitely say Vintage S. That button is only on the really old ones, as Rav said. Incredible shame they weren't better cared for!

While it'd be nice to see them in mint condition, the scruffs and dents do add vintage character, like an old violin
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #64 of 261
I wonder how they sound? Have you heard these, uberburger?

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #65 of 261
I have a pair of RS-1s that are similar to Mercuttio's but I'm having trouble identifying them.

The drivers look pink (a gold ring with a pink middle) and I can't find a serial number on them. I couldn't get a nice pic of the driver though (really tough). They have a white silk cover, square gimbels with round holes and round pegs. Pics are shown below:

~Thomas

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #66 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of RS-1s that are similar to Mercuttio's but I'm having trouble identifying them.

The drivers look pink (a gold ring with a pink middle) and I can't find a serial number on them. I couldn't get a nice pic of the driver though (really tough). They have a white silk cover, square gimbels with round holes and round pegs. Pics are shown below:

I'd say at least a Classic A, what kind of box did they come in?

Apr 25, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #67 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how they sound? Have you heard these, uberburger?

Unfortunately, no. I've tried asking the owner to let me audition his pair but he's kind of ignoring me. Another member did try it out and he said it was significantly smoother and bassier without the treble spike of the newer RS-1. He doesn't have the wooden box though, which is why it kind of confused me.

Apr 25, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #68 of 261
I sadly do not have the box, as I bought them used off of here on Head-Fi.

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #70 of 261
Thanks for the informative post, Mercuttio. It'd be nice that there were some consensus when speaking about RS-1 iterations, so we all used the same terms.

Do these versions correlate with Alessandro Pro models? I don't know if the AP is based on the RS-1 or the RS-2, nor when Alessandro started marketing their headphones.

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #71 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex_O Rules /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am trying to figure out which vintage this set is. I am tempted to purchase them from a guy locally. I haven't handled them yet, but he did send me these pictures:

3471969963_05b289f0e2_o.jpg

3472777244_e570e6df8d_b.jpg

3471968839_a760211d95_b.jpg

The letters on the cups seem to be different from the ones that came with a wooden box. Is that possible that the box is older than the headphones?

Apr 25, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #72 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The letters on the cups seem to be different from the ones that came with a wooden box. Is that possible that the box is older than the headphones?

I'm not 100% sure. The seller seemed to indicate that these headphones came with this box, and that he also had to purchase the extension and adapter cables separately.

Apr 25, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #73 of 261
Quote:

I'm not 100% sure. The seller seemed to indicate that these headphones came with this box, and that he also had to purchase the extension and adapter cables separately.

Has he got any pics of the drivers? With the lettering and the black headband, they look like a newer pair of buttoned ones that would've come with a pizza box. Maybe someone here can help identify these?

Apr 25, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #75 of 261
Quote:

I am trying to figure out which vintage this set is. I am tempted to purchase them from a guy locally. I haven't handled them yet, but he did send me these pictures:

3471969963_05b289f0e2_o.jpg

As listed in my post, this is a late Vintage A. Check out the "cups" section of my guide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Late in Vintage A production the lettering on the cups was changed, but everything else remains the same. These are closely related to my Vintage B which came shortly after, sans box.

From my guide:

Quote:

2. Cups:
Similar to the Super Vintage in most ways. At some point a change took place in production, and the 180 degree text was changed to this:

cimg5271.jpg

Otherwise, the nicely finished buttons and curly font on the button "RS1" remains the same. The wood seems quite identical as well.

This is the third pair of Vintage A I have seen with this design. In the photos above, also note the newer latch on the box. This points to late production Vintage A as well, even if we didn't have the cups to go on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back