Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Apr 1, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #751 of 2,850

Which quartets? Link to concert venue online?

B-flat Major, Op.18 No.6
F Minor, Op. 95 "Serioso"
E-flat Major, Op.127

https://www.carnegiehall.org/Calendar/2017/3/31/0800/PM/Quatuor-Ebene/

I didn't have much experience with these works and I got drenched by the rain on the way from the parking garage 4 blocks away to Carnegie Hall, so I thought "... this better be worth it"
frown.gif

These four young guys from France indeed made any doubts quickly fade away and the performance let me forget about the wet shoes and pants.
I had no clue that ol' Beethoven's chamber works could be so exciting!
biggrin.gif

The viola player had an issue with one of the pegs in the beginning and after a few bars into the first work they had to start over again but then they got on with no issues. They seemed to play really risky, like going 120mph and stopping all four on a single dime, with a precision that I haven't encountered yet. Great interaction between them just with looks, nods and facial expression. I was about 8 ft away from the cellist and could see all 4 players directly. Fantastic performance overall and standing ovations afterwards from an appreciative audience.

No recording can replace the live event.

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #752 of 2,850

No recording can replace the live event.

Yes, the excitement of a live recording, hearing that "tuning the orchestra" is always so exciting, the lights dimming out.

But i will test Balanced out put of my walkman to see if the sound is as real as a recording, i get more often from SE of this walkman a real sound that wows me

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #753 of 2,850
While not all are listener-friendly, this recording has some very interesting pieces on it:

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #754 of 2,850

B-flat Major, Op.18 No.6
F Minor, Op. 95 "Serioso"
E-flat Major, Op.127

https://www.carnegiehall.org/Calendar/2017/3/31/0800/PM/Quatuor-Ebene/

That's one of my fav string quartets -- op 18/6. How the first mvt starts and progresses is just sheer LOL. The tune sticks in my brain forever. And the way the violin/cello mock each other  by repeating the main melody is just precious. It's one of Beethoven's most playful movements in all his oeuvre.

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #755 of 2,850

Yes, the excitement of a live recording, hearing that "tuning the orchestra" is always so exciting, the lights dimming out.

But i will test Balanced out put of my walkman to see if the sound is as real as a recording, i get more often from SE of this walkman a real sound that wows me

...not even close, buddy. A Walkman cannot achieve that level of realism thru earphones.  Laws of physics.

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #756 of 2,850
...not even close, buddy. A Walkman cannot achieve that level of realism thru earphones.  Laws of physics.

Have you tried the smyth realiser? Now that almost completely replicates a hall experience, although there isn't a bodily tactile response, the simulation of space and depth is jaw dropping

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #757 of 2,850
Have you tried the smyth realiser? Now that almost completely replicates a hall experience, although there isn't a bodily tactile response, the simulation of space and depth is jaw dropping

I'll look it up, thanks. I generally avoid anything that resembles EQ or head equalization. Just doesn't seem natural -- as you said, the bodily/tactile experience does a lot to make a live concert what it is.

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #758 of 2,850
Really like her Ravel and Debussy.
She has got two fascinating recording of the ravel concerto in g performed in totally contrasting styles but as effectively - worth checking out

Thanks, I will check them out. The music itself is an interesting mix of styles.

I generally think french pianists have a natural affinity for Debussy & Ravel when I hear them play it.

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #760 of 2,850
Wonderful playing and sound--perhaps the best I've heard from Linn, which is saying a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back