Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Mar 24, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #691 of 2,850

Schnittkne..
confused.gif

and god knows I tried.

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #692 of 2,850

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #694 of 2,850
never heard his music.
Grotesque? Atonal?

For some/many people, yes. Try him for yourself: there is a lot of his music online. I suggest his Cello Concerto No.1 as a place to start. It's quite harrowing at times but also very powerful and melodic (for him) at others. My favorite is a live recording with Natalia Gutman.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #695 of 2,850

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #696 of 2,850

never heard his music.
Grotesque? Atonal?

I have heard Gidon Kremer live playing Schnittke's "A Pagannini" from this disc:
81Y7Xe6-GuL._SX522_.jpg

Live it was absolutely mesmerizing, solo violin, highly virtuosic, the audience holding their breath for like 10 minutes in awe. You could have heard a needle drop.
I think I have only listened once to the recording because after that live performance, nothing could hold a candle to the experience.

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #697 of 2,850

I have heard Gidon Kremer live playing Schnittke's "A Pagannini" from this disc:
81Y7Xe6-GuL._SX522_.jpg

Live it was absolutely mesmerizing, solo violin, highly virtuosic, the audience holding their breath for like 10 minutes in awe. You could have heard a needle drop.
I think I have only listened once to the recording because after that live performance, nothing could hold a candle to the experience.

After hearing Christian Tetzlaff play the complete Bach Sonatas and Partitas in a single afternoon recital, I refuse to buy his recordings for the same reason.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #698 of 2,850
Igor Stravinsky - Le Sacre du Printemps (Orchestre National de l'O.R.T.F, Pierre Boulez, 1963)
Ravel/Prokofiev - Klavierkonzert Nr. 3, Klavierkonzert G-Dur, Gaspard De La Nuit (Martha Argerich)
Frederic Chopin - Nocturnes (Rubinstein) 
Gustav Mahler - Das Lied Von Der Erde (Otto Klemperer)
Johannes Brahms - Symphony No. 4 (Karlos Kleiber)
Sir Edward Elgar - Cello Concertos/ Sea pictures (Jacueline Du Pre, Sir Barbirolli)
Bela Bartok - Complete String Quartets (takacs quartet)
Erik Satie - Gymnopedies & other piano works (pascal roge)
Johan Sebastian Bach - 6 Cello Suites (Pierre Fournier)
Schumann, Piano Quartet Op.47/ Brahms, Piano Quartet Op.60 III Andante - Verbier Festival 2008 (Menahem Pressler, Salvatore Accardo, Antoine Tamestit and Gautier Capuçon)
Debussy/Ravel - String Quartets (Alban Berg Quartett)
Ludwig Von Beethoven - Beethoven The Late Quartets (Quartetto Italiano)
Claude Debussy - La Mer; 3 Nocturnes; Jeux; Rhapsodie pour clarinette (The Cleveland Orchestra, Pierre Boulez)
Johann Sebastian Bach - Art of Fugue (Emerson String Quartet)
Bryn Terfel - The Vagabond 
Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique" (New York Philharmonic, Leonard Bernstein)
Maurice Ravel - Complete Piano Works (Jean-Efflam Bavouzet)
Gustav Mahler - Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection" (Otto Klemperer, Philharmonia Chorus / Wiener Philharmoniker, Zubin Mehta)
Gustav Mahler - Symphony No. 6 (Pierre Boulez, Wiener Philharmoniker)

I like way more than just this. I listen to a lot of classical music, but a lot of the stuff isn't necessarily stuff which I would consider my "go to". The works above are just my tried and true favorites.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #699 of 2,850
  Igor Stravinsky - Le Sacre du Printemps (Orchestre National de l'O.R.T.F, Pierre Boulez, 1963)
Ravel/Prokofiev - Klavierkonzert Nr. 3, Klavierkonzert G-Dur, Gaspard De La Nuit (Martha Argerich)
Frederic Chopin - Nocturnes (Rubinstein) 
Gustav Mahler - Das Lied Von Der Erde (Otto Klemperer)
Johannes Brahms - Symphony No. 4 (Karlos Kleiber)
Sir Edward Elgar - Cello Concertos/ Sea pictures (Jacueline Du Pre, Sir Barbirolli)
Bela Bartok - Complete String Quartets (takacs quartet)
Erik Satie - Gymnopedies & other piano works (pascal roge)
Johan Sebastian Bach - 6 Cello Suites (Pierre Fournier)
Schumann, Piano Quartet Op.47/ Brahms, Piano Quartet Op.60 III Andante - Verbier Festival 2008 (Menahem Pressler, Salvatore Accardo, Antoine Tamestit and Gautier Capuçon)
Debussy/Ravel - String Quartets (Alban Berg Quartett)
Ludwig Von Beethoven - Beethoven The Late Quartets (Quartetto Italiano)
Claude Debussy - La Mer; 3 Nocturnes; Jeux; Rhapsodie pour clarinette (The Cleveland Orchestra, Pierre Boulez)
Johann Sebastian Bach - Art of Fugue (Emerson String Quartet)
Bryn Terfel - The Vagabond 
Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique" (New York Philharmonic, Leonard Bernstein)
Maurice Ravel - Complete Piano Works (Jean-Efflam Bavouzet)

I like way more than just this. I listen to a lot of classical music, but a lot of the stuff isn't necessarily stuff which I would consider my "go to". The works above are just my tried and true favorites.

Actually, pretty good selections of artists/performers.

Need to add some Mahler/Beethoven Symphonies!

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #700 of 2,850

Actually, pretty good selections of artists/performers.

Need to add some Mahler/Beethoven Symphonies!

Mahler Symphony No 2 by Otto Klemperer or Zubin Mehta come to think of it. Also Mahler Symphony No. 6 by Pierre Boulez. I like Beethoven but I'm never in the mood for it, Mahler I am always in the mood. Actually I'm sort of stunned I didn't add symphony no. 2 to that list, because it's one that I listen to more than most other recordings. 

If I were to choose a Beethoven recording I would probably look to Fricsay, Kleiber, or Karajan. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #702 of 2,850

Which Karajan Beethoven cycle?

I like his 1962 and 1977 (esp. #9) cycles.

Dunno. I have his complete beethoven symphonies collection (it says 1963 now that I look at it). Karajan recordings are just consistently good, he's recorded a lot of classic albums and he's a highly reputable (if not legendary) conductor. I know that Beethoven's 9th by Fricksay was used by Stanley Kubrick (I think in the shining?). And Karlos Kleiber, I actually hold his recordings in extremely high regard, especially considering his Brahm's 4th (one of my absolute favorites of all time). If Karlos Kleiber recorded Beethoven's 9th I guarantee you I would have listened to it at least a dozen times by now.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #703 of 2,850
  Mahler Symphony No 2 by Otto Klemperer or Zubin Mehta come to think of it. Also Mahler Symphony No. 6 by Pierre Boulez. I like Beethoven but I'm never in the mood for it, Mahler I am always in the mood. Actually I'm sort of stunned I didn't add symphony no. 2 to that list, because it's one that I listen to more than most other recordings. 

If I were to choose a Beethoven recording I would probably look to Fricsay, Kleiber, or Karajan. 

One of the finest live recordings and performances of Mahler's 'Resurrection' Symphony No. 2 would be Sir Simon Rattle's 2010 performance with the BPO on Warner or EMI Classics.  Amazing... listening to it right now in fact!  Possibly one of the finest recordings/performances of all classical music IMHO.

Resurrection: V. Mit Aufschwung aber nicht eilen will blow your socks off when the entire chorus and symphony thunder together during this movement.

MI0003148066.jpg

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #704 of 2,850

One of the finest live recordings and performances of Mahler's 'Resurrection' Symphony No. 2 would be Sir Simon Rattle's 2010 performance with the BPO on Warner Classics.  Amazing... listening to it right now in fact!  Possibly one of the finest recordings/performances of all classical music IMHO.

Resurrection: V. Mit Aufschwung aber nicht eilen will blow your socks off when the entire chorus and symphony thunder together during this movement.

Sounds awesome, I'll be sure to check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back