Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Mar 23, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #676 of 2,850
  Sorry if this is slightly off-topic.  I asked this question in the main Oppo PM-3 thread, but haven't gotten a response.  Does anyone here use the PM-3s to listen to classical music on a train or a plane?  The PM-3 is supposed to have very good isolation for closed-back phones, but that is the acid test, and in my experience I need either IEMs or noise-cancelling phones to enjoy a symphony on a plane.  Maybe I could get away with the Oppos on a train.

I used the PM3 for a while, isolation is decent but the lack of treble made me sell them  not a great hp for classical IMO

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #677 of 2,850

I used the PM3 for a while, isolation is decent but the lack of treble made me sell them  not a great hp for classical IMO

I know the top is rolled off a bit, but it wasn't a problem for me - at least not with my 65 year old ears.  And I do like the balance.  I tested them through the Oppo HA-2, which I own.

The isolation seemed to me quite good for phones without actual noise cancellation.

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #679 of 2,850
  Might be wise to get back on track.

Sure - pardon my digression.

Listened to Klemperer's recording of "The Magic Flute" yesterday, courtesy of Tidal.  Hadn't heard it since I owned the LPs several decades ago.  I see that Warners has released that and several other famous ex-EMI opera recordings (Callas/Tosca, Giulini/Don Giovanni) in luxury packages (new mastering, hardbound libretto).  Has anyone checked any of those out?

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #680 of 2,850
  Sure - pardon my digression.

Listened to Klemperer's recording of "The Magic Flute" yesterday, courtesy of Tidal.  Hadn't heard it since I owned the LPs several decades ago.  I see that Warners has released that and several other famous ex-EMI opera recordings (Callas/Tosca, Giulini/Don Giovanni) in luxury packages (new mastering, hardbound libretto).  Has anyone checked any of those out?

Yes indeed. All references yet old. The Giulini/Giovanni (it rhymes!) is my favorite, as is the Klemperer that you cited. Haven't tried the Warner yet. The SQ on the orig EMI box sets was pretty good already. Hopefully they didn't bungle the remastering by rolling off the highs.

The other Mozart opera that I like is Solti/Seraglio:

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #681 of 2,850
  I know this is probably a bit out of the realm of taking about the Music, but is this the same Christophorus label that is more known for their well recorded Jazz realeases ?

Or am I thinking of another Label

As far as I can tell, it's all classical.

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #682 of 2,850

I know this is probably a bit out of the realm of taking about the Music, but is this the same Christophorus label that is more known for their well recorded Jazz realeases ?

Or am I thinking of another Label

As far as I can tell, it's all classical.

He.he.he.... Yeah, that came to me about 15min.s ago, that I was thinking about an Import Jazz label !

While I'm here (& listening to some RvW, through of all things my Maggie 2.7QR Loudspeakers: being on "Head-Fi"; These "Big in Room" objects are seriously nice for for things like Organ &
depiction of subtle Soundstage "cues" on well recorded recordings), there was a fantastically well recorded version of "The Lark Ascending" on an Argo Lp & I can't seem to recall who the
"Principals" on the recording were !

Can someone refresh my memory so I might find it again ? (I'm not thrilled that along with all but a handful of my Vinyl gone also went my recollection of some of the pieces that were in it)

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #684 of 2,850
Sorry if this is slightly off-topic.  I asked this question in the main Oppo PM-3 thread, but haven't gotten a response.  Does anyone here use the PM-3s to listen to classical music on a train or a plane?  The PM-3 is supposed to have very good isolation for closed-back phones, but that is the acid test, and in my experience I need either IEMs or noise-cancelling phones to enjoy a symphony on a plane.  Maybe I could get away with the Oppos on a train.

Dunno about its isolation, but its soundstage is too shallow for orchestral music. Also, the earpads are way smaller than the average American male's ear. I would stick with IEMs. Best luck!

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #685 of 2,850
Wonderful playing and sound.

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #686 of 2,850
Only Sorabji could come up with a 75-minute Toccata! Super-human playing and very good sound.

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #689 of 2,850

That is indeed nice. In fact, I might actually prefer guitar for the suites over piano!

SInce I play both instruments, I'm torn, but I might give the edge to the guitar since it can do more with colors than a piano or harpsichord. Of course, there's a loss of dynamic range, but when the artistry is as high as it is on this recording, one can make adjustments and overlook that "limitation." I heard a solo concert by one of them, Goran Krivokapic, an amazing soloist, too, and a nice guy to boot!

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #690 of 2,850

Users who are viewing this thread

Back